Woman Sets Fire To Home While Killing Snakes - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 06-22-2005, 04:38 PM   #1
Clay Davenport
Woman Sets Fire To Home While Killing Snakes

Mecklenburg County, NC -- A woman accidentally set fire to her own home Tuesday while trying to kill snakes on her front porch, according to investigators.

She said she found a nest of snakes in a couch on her porch and doused the snakes with lighter fluid.

When she threw a match on them, the couch burned and so did her house.

Howard phifer, who lives up the street, said there are a lot of snakes in this area.

"I've been in this area 45 years," Phifer said, "and that's' the most snakes I've seen since I've been here."

After the woman set the couch on fire she realized the flames were spreading, so she ran inside to call for help.

The fire then engulfed the home and she had to jump out of a window.

The woman is okay and so is her dog.

Phifer said he has an idea why snakes are slithering into his neighborhood.

"Building houses and running them out of the woods or what not," said Phifer. "All I know is they're around."

Link

Old 06-22-2005, 04:43 PM   #2
DAND
What a ding-bat! The ignorance of some people.

Old 06-22-2005, 05:00 PM   #3
hill4803
A couch on the front porch? There are probably snakes hanging out because there is plenty of food (rodents) available nesting in the couch on that front porch...DUH

Old 06-22-2005, 05:57 PM   #4
Jim O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Davenport
After the woman set the couch on fire she realized the flames were spreading, so she ran inside to call for help.

The fire then engulfed the home and she had to jump out of a window.
Obviously a dim bulb. Thankfully the dog is OK.

Old 06-22-2005, 10:22 PM   #5
Karen Hulvey
It's too bad she didn't get some of that lighter fluid on herself so she could have experienced the he!!fire that those snakes got.

Old 06-23-2005, 12:24 PM   #6
DragonCharm
Serves her right....

Couch on the porch eh? Wonder how many appliances were on that porch?

Old 08-13-2005, 01:38 PM   #7
ogopogo
OMG what a moron i wish she lit her self on fire to hopefully she doesnt have any kids we dont need any more stupid snake haters

Old 08-14-2005, 12:44 AM   #8
LakesideBoas
While I agree...

that was a bonehead move on her part, hoping someone would set themselves on fire isn't a nice thing to wish on anyone.

Sure as shootin' she won't try that type of snake extermination technique in the future!

Of course she'll most likely still have indoor furniture on her outdoor porch at her new residence...

Old 08-20-2005, 02:18 PM   #9
CJBianco
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakesideBoas
While I agree that was a bonehead move on her part, hoping someone would set themselves on fire isn't a nice thing to wish on anyone.
True. Though I still get all giggles when I hear about someone shooting/burning themself while attacking a snake. Kharma. =)

Chris

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!