horned lizzard help - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Other Lizards Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-30-2012, 10:07 AM   #1
madkpowl
horned lizzard help

was wondering if anyone could help with the feeding of horned lizzards aka hornytoads, ive heard that you can get them off of ants with vinager on there food not shure how it works was woundering if anyone knew how or has tried it with secsess???

Old 06-30-2012, 11:06 AM   #2
hadenglock
it is possible to get them eating crickets/beetles sprayed with vinegar. The idea behind it is that vinegar has the same properties/nutrients as the ants venom. However most horned lizards do not do well with this. There is a locality of horned lizards that have been known to eat beetles as well, though i cannot remember specifically where they reside. Either way acquiring ants shouldnt be that hard. You can find multiple web suppliers online that sell them in bulk and caring for them is easy. www.antsalive.com

Old 06-30-2012, 11:25 AM   #3
madkpowl
thanks for the info, wasnt shure how good it was ive orderd some ants from antsalive should be here tuesday i hope,ganna use small crickets and maby some fruit flies till then thanks again for the input

Old 06-30-2012, 11:29 AM   #4
hadenglock
no problem, ive gotten horned lizards coming in through the rescue i work with and ants are always the best bet for them

Old 07-02-2012, 08:58 AM   #5
rcarichter
Vinegar is acetic acid, ant produce formic acid. Repashy has a new supplement called Formi-Cal, but it is still considered experimental. I've started dusting crickets with it for my horned lizards, but they don't readily eat it. The warning on the package indicates that it has a very strong taste, so I'm experimenting with mixing it with regular calcium. Mine live outdoors in the summer in one of my tortoise pens, and I put fruit in the enclosure to attract zillions of ants. This has, thus far, gotten them through the winter months eating other insects. They're all fat and healthy, most around 3-4 years old.
Without formic acid, these guys will wither and die. Please be careful!

Noelle

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!