Questions about egg guarding plated lizard species - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Other Lizards Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-03-2012, 06:05 PM   #1
rosebud945
Questions about egg guarding plated lizard species

I am looking for information about plated lizard species in which the female guards her eggs after laying. I have a trio of zonosaura karsteni, and collected 4 fertile eggs out of their viv about a month and a half ago and I think there are now more eggs.

When I collected the eggs, they had been laid in the biggest cave where all three zonos stay, especially at night. They are in a large enclosure on organic garden soil, and they are outside where they get partial sun throughout the day. So the eggs had been laid in this large round cave, and they had been sort of pushed into the middle. The females had dug a trench around them where they had obviously been slithering around the eggs and along the cave wall.

Now one of them was probably gravid again. She was enormous and ate like there was no tomorrow for weeks. She then dug a long tunnel, but poked her head out for worms about a week ago (they will take them off my tongs). The tunnel and opening have been maintained, but I have not seen her in it again, so I am trying to determine if zono females guard their eggs. If so, I can afford to leave the eggs for a bit as our weather is still very hot here, but if the eggs in the box take 2-3 months to hatch, then the eggs outside will probably have to come in when the weather turns.

Are there species of plated lizards in which the females guard eggs? Any known Zono species that do this?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!