"hog island" responsible breeding, oppinions? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

View Poll Results: What would you do in the "purist" way?
Breed her to a hog, she looks like one 7 70.00%
Breed her to a morph so you don't dirty the hog lines, its the most responsible thing to do 3 30.00%
I don't care, I don't do localities 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-20-2008, 04:31 PM   #1
Jake The Snake
"hog island" responsible breeding, oppinions?

Well I was set on breeding my female hog to a nice hog male until recently when I talked with a few people saying it would be irresponsible because I don't know her history nor if she is 100% pure(although I am pretty sure she is). I can't for the life of me remember the breeders name that I bought her from so this is where you guys come in. Breed her to a hog or breed her to a morph and list the babies as such(hog x _______).

Old 01-20-2008, 07:05 PM   #2
Gary O
Is breeding a BCI with a BCI crossing?

Is breeding a BCC to another BCC crossing?

It all comes down to what you think. if you are honest with about the parents then go for what ever you want. I have pics of all breeders so when anyone asks I show them.

Be honest and do as you wish. IMO

Old 01-20-2008, 07:20 PM   #3
MRC31
I would breed them and just make sure to represent them as what they are. I am all for pure and locality herps but also like hybrids/crosses if they are are represented as such.
It's not like you will be re-introducing these into the wild. Just my thoughts.

I really think you should get rid of it to me and I will breed it to my " I don't know if it a pure hog boa." I was going to breed mine to my female super salmon, since I do not have a nice female hog. I don't know if mine is pure either, or what lineage. I bought him for $150 locally.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:32 PM   #4
crotalusadamanteus
I think they both look like Hogs to me. Don't see anything to indicate anything else. Why not breed it to a Hog? As long as you don't try to slap some lineage on it that you can't back up, no harm done. Just tell it like it is.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:17 PM   #5
Jake The Snake
I just wouldn't want to dirty any pure blood by accident. If I bred her to say my suri x salmon, there would sn't pure, I would feel like crap for selling the babiebe no mistaking its not a hog, this female "hog" x a proven pure hog, if she was as hogs. Would people still want them if they knew that the mother was from an unknown lineage? I am seriously considering keeping her for other projects and buying a hog from someone with known pure animals.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:22 PM   #6
Wilomn
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus
I think they both look like Hogs to me. Don't see anything to indicate anything else. Why not breed it to a Hog? As long as you don't try to slap some lineage on it that you can't back up, no harm done. Just tell it like it is.
I agree.

Breed her to your Hog male. Don't claim any linage you can't back up. You can't get any more honest than that and I think people would want them.

They sure look pure.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:31 PM   #7
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake The Snake
I just wouldn't want to dirty any pure blood by accident.
Makes sense. I don't blame you for that. And if you told people you didn't know the females background, you wouldn't be. Plenty of people buy Boas who don't breed too. I did it for more than 25 yrs before I ever let them breed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake The Snake
If I bred her to say my suri x salmon, there would sn't pure, I would feel like crap for selling the babiebe no mistaking its not a hog, this female "hog" x a proven pure hog, if she was as hogs.
Jake, tried as hard as I could to make sense out of that. But I failed to do so. Try it again a little slower eh.

Bottom line is, do what feels right to you. If you feel wrong about breeding her to a hog male, than don't.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:36 PM   #8
crotalusadamanteus
Meant to add....Personally, I'd feel bad about breeding it to anything but another Hog.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:55 PM   #9
Jake The Snake
Ok, i'll see. I think she would help make some killer hogs!

Old 01-25-2008, 12:31 AM   #10
Metachrosis
Most Hog Isle's in collections today aren't near what people believe them to be Coarse they were duped on the sale,but 9 times outta 10 theres supportive rhetoric "proving lineage" from every seller out there.

Just do a 2:1 breeding group tween a morph and a classic and be content with which ever gets the job done.

Best Of Luck with whichever you choose

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!