"First Shed" Problem (Baby) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-24-2011, 09:09 AM   #1
Matt2979
"First Shed" Problem (Baby)

On January 30th, my big normal girl dropped her litter. All, but one, of the babies shed within a week to ten days. The one that did not shed with her siblings has STILL not shed (3 1/2 weeks!!). Should I worry yet??

She has eaten, and she has access to a water bowl that I have seen her soaking in a few times. Humidity seems to be good, too.

This is the girl that I thought I was going to have to put down. In case you didn't follow my thread, "First Boa Litter in a LONG Time", I had a single dead boa, and another that I thought would not make it. I gave her 24 hours before putting her down, and when I went to "do the deed", she seemed to be fine. Her tongue doesn't seem to be quite as long as the others (which are all normal), but in every other way, she seems to be healthy. Just won't shed.

Obviously I'm not thinking that I can MAKE her shed, but curious if others have run into this before. I had a single BP last year that was born at about 35 grams and took her first meal before shedding, but I don't think that she took more than 2 weeks. Thanks for any help/suggestions that you may have.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:11 PM   #2
hupababy_83
Does she look like she is dull or in the blue? All I can think of, if she isn't, is you have a slow growing Runt. Now please understand that I have never bred a litter, but I will. I'm doing a lot of research, such as your situation first. I have read something old this, and the boa was just slow growing. They said as long as the baby is eating and having bowl movements it was ok. I hope this helps Sir.

Ps can you post pics of the little one?

Old 02-24-2011, 03:49 PM   #3
Snakesitter
Matthew, I've heard of similar occurances in the Brazilian Rainbow world. While not common, and less understood, it does sometimes happen that animals "skip" their first shed but later turn out fine.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:19 PM   #4
AbsoluteApril
I wouldn't sweat it, should be fine.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:52 PM   #5
Matt2979
Quote:
Originally Posted by hupababy_83 View Post
Ps can you post pics of the little one?
Here are a couple that just snapped. I'm starting to hate taking pics. Gotta get a new camera!

But I AM glad that I took these because--not sure if you can see it in these quick pics--she is going into shed. Little stinker! She's a little cutie that almost was not. You'd think that she'd be at least a LITTLE grateful, but NOOOO! She wants to eat my fingers...just can't get her little mouth around one!
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2011, 04:56 PM   #6
hupababy_83
Awwwwe she is adorable! Thank you! She is probably a late bloomer that's all.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:04 PM   #7
Matt2979
Quote:
When she was born, her yolk sack was still attached. She didn't move much at all and when she did move, she almost twirled like a spider with a terrible wobble. I just knew that I was going to have to put her out of her misery, but I convinced myself to give her an extra day, HOPING I wouldn't have to, but expecting that I would.

I finally pulled out her tub, ready to do what I didn't want to do. She looked up at me, flicked her tongue and moved normally. I reached in to pick her up and she started striking at each and every finger so I knew she had plenty of energy...and TUDE!! lol

She's been fine since, has eaten once and pooped a little, too.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:03 PM   #8
Snakesitter
The ones with attitude are the ones we always remember the most. Glad to hear she's doing well!

Old 02-25-2011, 01:35 PM   #9
mxracer4life
I had a runt last year. He/She didn't make it but a few weeks but it never shed. It was born the same way as yours, yolk still attached and a big fat belly. Mine passed due to SYS (solidified yolk syndrom) as Jeff Ronne Sr calls it. It was half the size of all the others. Yours looks great though. I wouldn't worry. The shed will come before you know it.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:15 PM   #10
Matt2979
Quote:
Thank you!!!! (Just realized that when I originally responded, I was doing so to the non-bolded part. Missed the nice comment you made, or at least overlooked it.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxracer4life View Post
I had a runt last year. He/She didn't make it but a few weeks but it never shed. It was born the same way as yours, yolk still attached and a big fat belly. Mine passed due to SYS (solidified yolk syndrom) as Jeff Ronne Sr calls it. It was half the size of all the others. Yours looks great though. I wouldn't worry. The shed will come before you know it.
She's finally in shed now, after taking her first meal a few days ago. She's almost as big as the others so I think she will be ok. Now, if her temperament ever gets as nice as her sibling's, that might be another story! LOL

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!