Snakes that don't feed on rodents - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Other Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-10-2011, 06:33 PM   #11
George J. Ward
Yes that snake is that color. We get blue garters where I am from.Almost like the one in the pic. And if you are looking into easy fed snakes without rodent food sources,then you want to look into the garters,waters,ribbons,racers,coachwhips. Now the coachwhips and racers can be aggressive if wild caught,however if they are c.b. they do real well with handling them and easy to work with and the reason for this suggestion is that they eat frogs,birds,rodents, lizards and other snakes. this gives you a wider range of food sources. But highly recomend the garters or ribbons.The will readily eat frogs,feeder fish(guppies) goldfish are ok occasionally high in oil not good for the snake if comsuming nothing but gold fish.and they love earthworms or nightcrawlers(big worms) and you can switch back and forth with these food items.And it is hard to keep e.hognose,s.hognose if you don,t have a steady supply of toads for the winter,great snakes though,love them.The mud snakes are hard to come by and are one of the most difficult to care for! Do some further research on the garters and ribbons,thats the best bet!

Old 06-10-2011, 10:44 PM   #12
dekaybrown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntyvirus View Post
is the snake in the 2nd pic really that teal color or is that from a flash?
He is really that colour. Puget Sound garter snakes are known for the stunning blue.

Old 06-11-2011, 09:26 AM   #13
George J. Ward
Sorry I forgot to mention the worm snakes,ringnecks and or storeia deckayi,roug or smooth earth snakes,these are all worm feeders also. Yes our Florida blue garters are a real pretty blue as well as those. I have also seen red sided garters come in that were blue with no red,those were really sharp.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:56 AM   #14
natsamjosh
Seems like everyone forgot about the king of the colubrids - eastern Indigo. They are generalists, and mine has done well on a diet of anoles, fish, quail, frogs, toads, etc. I would feed him snakes, but I don't find a lot of snakes where I live, nor do I see a lot of DOR snakes. (I do feed him rabbit pinkies as well, since they are high protein/low fat.) Anyway, I would absolutely recommend them as pets... if the owner is prepared and able to go the extra mile with regard to maintenance (ie, they crap a lot) and obtaining the non-rodent foods. I often say my indigo is more like a dog than a snake. For some reason, they seem to have no fear of humans.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:46 PM   #15
Wayne Fowlie
Garters are fun snake pets, but do best as singles. Most will learn to eat strips of beef heart or fish along with alive diet. It's good to remember that some people don't like snakes! There are other nice squamates, a bearded dragon, for instance.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:41 AM   #16
zorak1
Corn snakes don't require rodents.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:13 AM   #17
Cynspin
My ribbon snakes eat fish, and they're fun to watch

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!