Radiated Tortoise Question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:47 PM   #1
VAreptile
Radiated Tortoise Question

What are the laws regarding Radiated Tortoise? A reptile group I'm apart of on facebook just had a man name Alvin Gonzalez post them, and Aldabra tortoise for sale. I was wondering because he said you only need a permit to ship them. I think he is right, but I just want to make sure.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:46 AM   #2
turtleguy
From what I understand you need a permit for the radiata unless you're a legal resident in the state where the tortoise is being sold from.Aldabras don't need permits to ship because they're not endangered like the radiata.Someone correct me if I'm wrong,thnx

Old 02-19-2014, 03:00 PM   #3
Arizona Tortoise Compound
Your 100% correct Shawn. Here is a link to the permit process if anyone out there needs help acquiring their Captive Bred Wildlife Permit -

http://www.arizonatortoisecompound.c...fe-Permit.html

Old 02-28-2014, 07:19 PM   #4
Herpervet
The captive bred wildlife permit is for interstate commercial trade of Endangered Species Act species. It's confusing because Burmese star tortoises and Egyptian tortoises for example are CITES appendix 1 and are critically endangered but not on the ESA list. There are no permit requirements for either species at this time.

Also, you can legally gift an ESA species to anyone anywhere within the US without a permit. Wayne Hill has given away a lot of Geoclemmys hamiltoni for example. Perfectly legal. (Good luck getting many Radiata this way however!)

Old 02-28-2014, 08:01 PM   #5
VAreptile
Well thank you for the responses everyone! I want to get one so bad, but I'm worried it might out live me! So I hope to get one with in the next few years, or else I won't. I'm to worried it wont be taken care of after I die.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:14 AM   #6
justatwinturbo
that ad you saw was a scam, I've seen it several times from several different names.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:50 PM   #7
VAreptile
Well that is something else that is good to know! Thanks

Old 02-10-2015, 02:23 PM   #8
Gastro3003
as you say OP

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!