Locally wild caught specimens? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:22 PM   #1
neilg
Question Locally wild caught specimens?

in your state city or county, is it legal or illegal to take turtle/tortoise(s) out of the ditch at the side of the road or a city/county park?

ie, visiting central park, ny i remember seeing scores of RES crawling all around the pond area, and some local punks appeared to be discreetly abducting them and slipping them in bookbags once.

would it make a difference if the animal is native or exotic? i dont really know the local laws around here but neither are the signal hill parks' ponds overrun with abandoned reptilian pets that i noticed of, either. (the airways, another story as theres no shortage of noisy screechy quaker and ringneck keets!)

i could understand picking up an abandoned sulcata trying to cross the road, but would it be legal to take it home and become its new owner? what about the same done with a Western painted turtle, a Pacific pond turtle, or a Desert tortoise(official reptile of California state!)??

Old 11-01-2014, 12:36 PM   #2
Pasodama
In my state (Ohio), it is illegal to possess any of our native reptile species without a license. Also illegal to buy, trade, sell them. Although juveniles, under 18 yrs. old, may keep them, without a license, but with a limit of 4 specimens per species.

Non-native species can be kept, bought, traded, and sold without a licence (unless it is a specific species where license is, nationally, required).
However, we do have restricted/restrictive laws, and certain costs/fees, for some specific larger snakes (i.e. Retics, Burms, etc.) and venomous reptiles.

If a non-native species is encountered, and someone wants to take it home to keep, it would be okay.
Unless, of course, the found/encountered snake, or venomous reptile, is one of the specific larger snake species, or a venomous reptile, that have law constraints/restrictions/costs. If that is what occurs, the snake/reptile would have to be reported. Then the reptile will be seized. Unless it is one that, for certain circumstances/reasons, they allow you to keep but, then, you would have to register it, get permit/s, purchase insurance, etc., etc.

Offhand, I don't know the laws, in your state, but it would be fairly easy to look up.

Old 11-01-2014, 12:57 PM   #3
Pasodama
I stated certain large species, of snakes, but "the list" also includes certain other large reptile species as well (i.e. alligators, etc.).

Old 11-01-2014, 01:36 PM   #4
E.Shell
Here in VA, I believe we are permitted to keep up to five individuals of any unprotected (non-threatened) species, but it is unlawful to sell them. I don't think native species can be kept and bred for resale, since almost any litter or clutch will cause one to exceed the five animal limit. Non-native species are not regulated.

Old 11-01-2014, 02:55 PM   #5
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilg View Post

would it make a difference if the animal is native or exotic? i dont really know the local laws around here but neither are the signal hill parks' ponds overrun with abandoned reptilian pets that i noticed of, either. (the airways, another story as theres no shortage of noisy screechy quaker and ringneck keets!)

i could understand picking up an abandoned sulcata trying to cross the road, but would it be legal to take it home and become its new owner? what about the same done with a Western painted turtle, a Pacific pond turtle, or a Desert tortoise(official reptile of California state!)??
Well, each state is different of course and California has rules to follow as well.

Sulcata isn't native so finding it a place to live would be the correct course of action. So the state has not interest in keeping it roaming the streets. So if that did occur, find it a home.

Most turtles can be taken with a fishing license. There are bag limits and possession limits depending on species.

That's just for possessing them not selling, trading them.

That goes for all natives if you don't have a propagation permit for commercial or noncommercial propagation for the few species of reptiles allowed. IF you produce offspring and go over your limit you are required to transfer them to another person or institution within a set time frame.

Here in California we do make some exceptions under the captive propagation permitting process. I don't believe (at least the last time I checked which was has been a long time, 7+ years ) that there is any turtles covered under the captive propagation permit.

One last note. Under zero circumstances can you take a desert tortoise from the wild.

However, there is a very straight forward program to adopt captive desert tortoises which can't be released, sold or traded. Only gifted and then the new owner is required to obtain the permit as well.

Old 11-01-2014, 03:06 PM   #6
Dennis Hultman
Also, one more note. If you take any reptile make sure your not in a designated restricted area where taking is prohibited. Sometimes some counties can be closed to taking certain species. Also make sure you're not in a designated reserve.

Old 11-01-2014, 03:08 PM   #7
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilg View Post
would it make a difference if the animal is native or exotic?
Short answer, Yes.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:36 PM   #8
radiatedguy
I think YES

Old 03-12-2015, 10:13 PM   #9
Carl
What's the law in Florida for keeping or removing from the wild any of the invasive or non native species?

Old 03-13-2015, 06:33 AM   #10
Pasodama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
What's the law in Florida for keeping or removing from the wild any of the invasive or non native species?
http://m.flsenate.gov/laws/statutes/2014/379.372

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!