Best way to establish a new Turtle Tank - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 05-04-2015, 04:54 PM   #1
BoaBoa2014sd
Warning! Best way to establish a new Turtle Tank

Hi,

I have a couple RES turtles on the way! I have cleaned the used tank i got with water and white vinegar. Washed out with water multiple times and have a fan air drying it (4 hours). I have a aqua filter i'm going to use on the tank and add a trickle tower eventually. Also add heater and a turtle dock with basking light. Eventually adding plants and cleaning fish to the tank.

So heres my question?????????

My dad has a turtle/koi pond at his house. Its fairly big! I was wondering if i would be better off to use some of his water to get the tank established with the good bacteria faster. Fill the rest up with regular water and use the conditioner treatment for the amount of regular tap water gallons.

Please any comments/suggestions is greatly appreciated and i know the turtle will be even more thankful then me!

Old 05-18-2015, 04:06 AM   #2
michiganice91
Personally I'd just go with regular tap water and let the good bacteria flourish on their own. But you did say red eared sliders so honestly there's no way in hell you can possibly kill these turtles anyway, so definitely go for it if you want to!

Old 05-18-2015, 03:04 PM   #3
BoaBoa2014sd
Awesome thanks for your input! I ended up going with tap water and the water conditioner. They're doing great and i'm working on trying to get a few live plants with malaysian driftwood in the tank this coming week. Also hope to finish my custom overflow trickle tower this week/weekend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganice91 View Post
Personally I'd just go with regular tap water and let the good bacteria flourish on their own. But you did say red eared sliders so honestly there's no way in hell you can possibly kill these turtles anyway, so definitely go for it if you want to!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
aquariums, freshwater turtles, turtles, water, water enclosures