Jamaican Boas Breeding - Page 7 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-24-2014, 07:05 PM   #61
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by cguarino30 View Post
I would also like to describe one other anomaly that I have noticed. Escapee #4 has done something unusual two separate times now. Both Week 1 and Week 3, I have come downstairs to find a chick bone with skin attached on the floor of Escapee #4's cage. Thorough inspection shows that there is nothing but the bone and skin left, and inspection of Escapee #4 shows a clear bulge in the middle, where presumably, the meat alone lies. .
I'm fascinated by the possible mechanisms of this - how does it physically do it? Digest the meat and regurgitate the bone? Time for a time lapse camera in that container!

Old 09-24-2014, 07:23 PM   #62
cguarino30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
I'm fascinated by the possible mechanisms of this - how does it physically do it? Digest the meat and regurgitate the bone? Time for a time lapse camera in that container!
I find it considerably confusing as well, and was also tempted to try to set up some sort of camera. Haha. The best I can figure, I think the snake is striking the thigh, wrapping it up, and pulling on it. Because the teeth would be latched to the meat, but the body would still be able to push and pull against the bone, the meat is ripped off in the exchange, and gets swallowed separately. It would be in keeping with the behavior that I have seen from many of the adults. The sire of the clutch, for instance, has a habit of striking the head of his food, wrapping his body around the rest, and pulling and twisting the head and neck. Presumably, this would help with constriction and/or neck-breaking, but I have definitely seen him do some serious damage to a prey item in the process. This is what I think the one hatchling might be doing to his or her food. this is, however, all speculation on my part.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:32 PM   #63
Snakesitter
Good luck -- and great details!

Old 09-25-2014, 06:00 AM   #64
cguarino30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakesitter View Post
Good luck -- and great details!
Thanks.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:19 AM   #65
cguarino30
OK, so Feeding Week #4 is not the greatest in terms of numbers. Moving the three non-feeders to screen cages appears to have had no effect so far. None of those three ate this week either. I'm still hoping that more time in the screen cages will have an effect next week. If they do not eat next week, I will attempt to get them feeding via other methods (different scenting, different foods, etc)

In addition, three of the previously feeding animals chose not to eat this week as well. Of these three, one of them was Escapee #4, who was recently moved from a screen cage, and could have been responding to the stress of the move. Another snake that skipped was one that I spooked taking a picture (more details below). As for the third, I'm not sure why that one did not eat, but it could be a number of details. I am not especially concerned about these three, as they have all eaten at least two meals previously. I know the adults can be a bit temperamental when it comes to feeding regularly (one of my adult females just decided she wasn't going to eat this week, either) and it doesn't seem to effect them too much, so as long as the youngsters pick up the feeding again next week, I'm sure it won't be an issue.

One good bit to report, is that there was a drastic increase in the number of animals who ate immediately. I would say more than 75% of the snakes that ate had already eaten their food within two hours, which is significantly more than previously. I take this as a good sign with regard to the snakes' development and security.

One other quick note, I managed to spot some constriction behavior for one of the snakes in the feeding process. I haven't had many opportunities to witness feeding directly (as I'm trying to avoid disturbing them) so this could be an isolated incident, or it could be the norm, but I thought I'd include a picture here. This snake was one of the three that refused its meal last night, though, so the picture process may have spooked it off of eating. You'd think I would learn, but if the last time is any indicator, this one should not have any trouble next week.
Attached Images

Old 09-26-2014, 08:20 PM   #66
Monkey Tails Canada
Awesome Thread!!! Lot's of great info and pics. Thanks for sharing.

Old 09-26-2014, 09:39 PM   #67
cguarino30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Tails Canada View Post
Awesome Thread!!! Lot's of great info and pics. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:19 PM   #68
Snakesitter
Sweet pict, and great detail as always. Fingers crossed for the screen trio!

Old 09-27-2014, 07:22 AM   #69
cguarino30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakesitter View Post
Sweet pict, and great detail as always. Fingers crossed for the screen trio!
Thanks. I'm hoping that the recent move was too stressful, and they'll be feeling more comfortable next week. Here's hoping.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:52 PM   #70
Helenthereef
How long after eating are they defecating? Is it possible that they simply may not need to eat that frequently?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!