What do you use for housing your reptiles & why? - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

View Poll Results: Let people know what we use
Racks Systems 114 38.38%
Plastic Caging 74 24.92%
Melamine Caging 48 16.16%
Wooden Cages 66 22.22%
Rubbermaid Tubs 58 19.53%
Sterilite Tubs 86 28.96%
Glass Tanks 141 47.47%
Other ...? 34 11.45%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 297. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-25-2004, 11:48 PM   #31
Clay Davenport
The Bean Farm sells the clips individually. I think they are abotu 60 cents each if I remember correctly, I don't use them myself.
Here's the link to their site.
The Bean Farm

The clips are in the heating supplies section of their catalog.

Old 05-30-2004, 02:29 PM   #32
RPNM
Talking

I am looking to buy or build a habitat for Bearded Dragons that is attractive enough for my living room. I've surfed Iguana sites and see all the energy people put into providing appropriate enclosures for them .. Not too much available for desert species in the retail market.
If anyone has ideas, cage plans or links to something other than cagesbydesign or customcages - drop me an email!

The cabinetry is probably the most important feature. Something to hold supplies and look perfect with the rest of the room decor. Nothing rustic looking , which seems so prevelant.
It would be nice to have a hood to hide the lighting , but ventilation is a concern

When i have friends and family over that are ZERO fond of reptiles, i want my herps to be displayed in an attractive setting that takes the " yuck" factor out of reptiles and replaces it with,
" Oh, how amazing they are!"

Wishful thinkin' ?

Old 09-12-2004, 11:54 PM   #33
vscampbell
Housing and heating reptiles

I have spent the past twenty five years away from the hobby and an recently getting back involved, it is soooo much easier with adult children and disposable income, LOL. What an amazing herp world it is out there!! When I was 20, there was no internet and no availablilty to have this discussion! Thank you to Clay for all of this great infomation!!

Old 08-20-2005, 12:39 AM   #34
Matt Haines
We had been using glass tanks but are slowly switching all of our dragons to custom made melamine enclosures as time and money presents itself to do so. The majority of our dragons are now already in melamine enclosures. The leopard geckos are in clear sterilite containers and our hatchling dragons are in larger plastic storage containers.

Old 08-21-2005, 06:27 AM   #35
kiote9
I have glass tanks that came with animals so I kept them. Also my son got free tanks from one of his teachers. The nicer ones are set up as display cages.

Most of the snakes are in Natures Spirit Snake Shacks. I prefer these for my smaller snakes. Multiple animals in one unit, one plug, easy to clean, secure.

I put the bigger snakes in plastic cages. I have a couple of Boaphile 421Ds and a custom cage. These work out much better as far as space for the snake and being easy to clean.

The sterlites are puely temporary housing for smaller animals. Baby colubrids and Leopard geckos. When I get some more room in the tanks and racks they will be moved. Might just have to buy another rack though! It's nice living so close to a wonderful builder!

Old 08-22-2005, 02:17 PM   #36
DragonCharm
DIY melamine racks with Sterlite tubs. Just built a new rack that holds 33 sweater boxes and move most of my larger corns into it. My first DIY is being retired, total POS. My other one held 2 tubs per shelf unlike the new one, hence why I made the new one to save some space and it's only 4' tall not 6' like the new one. It's ok though since the old one holds 4 smaller Sterlites per shelf so it'll be used for yearlings. The 4' rack is a little short to properly fill out the space so I put a 40BR glass on top and will be putting my juvie Burm in it as soon as I get it cleaned out from it's last inhabitants. I'll try to post pics later, just took pics of the new rack last night when I was done constructing it. Only cost me about $130 for materials and it holds 33 snakes, not bad. Of course this price is without heat, thermostats or tubs. Tubs are costing me about $5.50 each.

Old 08-22-2005, 06:13 PM   #37
DragonCharm
Pic of new rack. Yes I do understand that with this rack half full and the other rack half full I am dangerously low on snakes, myself and Visa are working to rectify the problem.
Attached Images

Old 10-20-2005, 05:03 PM   #38
Rebel Dragons
I don't see Visa standing in your way to prevent something like that happening.

Old 04-09-2006, 11:13 PM   #39
ZenReptiles
I have a metal rack full of aquariums and rubbermaid boxes. The aquariums keep my adult and juvie adults, the rubbermaids are for the babies. My skink's 50g aquarium is just kinda on the floor right now until I can get a stand for it.

Old 04-11-2006, 12:45 PM   #40
HerpLuver
I build almost all of my racks. I currently have a 41 qt custom rack, 28 qt custom rack and a 12qt custom rack. The 41 qt holds my breeder female BP's, 28 qt holds my males and het's and the 12 qt holds my babies. I also have a custom enclosure in the living room i originally built for a Green Tree, that now houses a 5' male Jungle Carpet. Im building 2 new enclosures shortly. 1 for a 7' 4" male normal BCI, and another that will actually have 2 enclosures in it for a male hypo and a female normal BCI. I do have one Boaphile rack that is currently not in use.

If anyone needs to know how to keep your Boaphile racks heating properly just shoot me a PM. I use insulation sent with my rodent orders from Rodentpro.com. Shoot me a couple bucks for shipping and i can send a few out.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!