Inexpensive Ikea rack idea - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 10-07-2006, 01:00 PM   #1
liquidleaf
Inexpensive Ikea rack idea

So I just got my 2007 Ikea catalog and was browsing through it. I saw some storage units in the children's section of the catalog that reminded me of hatchling racks! They are very inexpensive, and plastic totes for the racks are very cheap as well! Since I will be trying my hand at breeding my snakes this fall, I may buy one of these and try modifying it for use as a snake rack.

Here's a photo: This particular unit is $49.99, and each green bin is $2.

Here's a photo of a larger unit with different bins:

Here's a link to one of the Trofast storage units with plastic bins (they have several sizes of bins that can work in the same units and several sizes of frames) - http://ikea.shoplocal.com/ikea/defau...27%26go.y%3d19

The modification that would need to be made would be to put in 'ceilings' to each drawer area, which could probably be done with thin plywood, plastic, or tileboard. The back of this unit is open, which would be perfect for running heat tape (and then attaching foam insulation or thin plywood/tileboard to keep heat in).

Am I weird that I see snake cages everywhere I look, no matter what store or catalog? Heh heh heh.

Some of the boxes made to fit these rack units have lids, but it's not clear if they just sit loosely in the box. Maybe the box lids could be attached or locked somehow, but it's hard to tell without looking at the lids in person.

Next time I'm near an Ikea though, you bet I'm going to pick one of these babies up!! Can't beat the price without building yourself - it looks like these were almost made with reptiles in mind. It would be ideal if clear bins were available, but I'm not sure they are. If not, I'll just make the 'ceilings' out of thin clear acrylic or plexi, or put small a small clear plastic 'window' in each of the bins to let in a bit of daylight.

Old 10-07-2006, 01:03 PM   #2
liquidleaf
Woot! They also have clear bins, and also other parts for customizing the units, like slide/hanging rails for the bins that you can buy separately.

There are also more inexpensive units as well (this one is $40): http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/store...umber=30091452

Old 10-07-2006, 01:55 PM   #3
liquidleaf
Did a little more snooping. You can buy the racks online, but not ALL sizes/colors of the plastic boxes, but most of the boxes seem to be in stock at most stores. Guess I can't just order everything online, but fortunately there are a couple of Ikeas within 2 hours driving range (and some friends live near Ikea). So I might have to wait a bit longer... heh.

Old 10-10-2006, 05:40 PM   #4
liquidleaf
Well, a relative is going to pick up a rack for me, and the clear tubs are on their way separately. We shall see if it's up to the task! If not, I have more storage for my junk.

Old 10-24-2006, 01:36 AM   #5
snakeguyatl
I checked out this rack over the weekend and agree that it is pretty cool. "Shelves" are needed to rest the bins. The price is pretty cool. Something like this could be made with a table saw and other hardware. For those that don't have/have access to that equiptment, this is a very reasonable option.

Please post pics of your set up.

Old 10-26-2006, 11:59 AM   #6
liquidleaf
Well, shelves aren't needed to rest the bins on, as they all have slides (I have the bins, but have to pick up the storage unit from my aunt, she picked one up for me while she was near an Ikea).

What IS needed would be a 'ceiling' for the bin (right above the shelf slide). I will post pics as soon as I get the unit assembled. I already like the bins, very sturdy and with nice rounded interior corners with no sharp edges.

Old 10-28-2006, 09:16 AM   #7
snakeguyatl
How do you plan to heat the bins?

Old 10-28-2006, 11:14 AM   #8
Mooing Tricycle
flexwatt im sure..... most people that use racks, use it.

Old 10-28-2006, 06:57 PM   #9
RobertIII
what size bins do these units hold?

Old 10-31-2006, 03:21 PM   #10
liquidleaf
The bins are about 17 inches long, by 11 wide, by 4 deep. The bins are very heavy, with nice rounded corners.

I assembled my unit yesterday. I have 3 lids for the bins (I should have gotten lids for all of them, but since I didn't go to pick them up myself I didn't want to waste money if the lids were useless), and will get more. The lid has about a one inch hole in the center (meant for putting your finger in to pull the lid out, as it fits fairly tightly). I will have to cover that with screen or hardware cloth, no big deal. It's a nice access hole for a thermostat probe.

I will take photos of the unit tonight - The bins actually are big enough for juvenile snakes - in my opinion the bins are overy large for hatchlings or newborns (I may divide each bin with a little wall for my purposes if my snakes breed). What I'm going to do is install turn buttons (here's what they are, I had no idea what they were called before today -- http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=1593) at each of the four corners of the bins. The turn buttons will hold the lids securely in place WITHOUT the need for anything above the bin. The lids have rounded corners, so this rounded area leaves some space on the bin that the turn buttons can be installed in, without interfering with the slide rail.

I originally was going to glue pegboard above each rail slide, as a lid to the bin. But the lids fit so nicely, I will use those instead, if I can get my hands on more! Stupid stupid stupid for not getting more! Oh well.

I will post photos tonight, complete with each Ikea part number. I won't be able to get foam insulation for the back of the unit (which I will run narrow Flexwatt down to heat the rack) until next week though.

I am, so far, happy with the purchase. I bought a couple of sizes of bins but the larger ones (they are far far deeper, same dimensions in width and length) are just too deep (they remind me of bathroom garbage cans). The shallow 4inch ones are perfect (fortunately those are what I bought most of).

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!