Are display cases strong enough? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 04-15-2018, 01:13 PM   #1
dhenderson0524
Are display cases strong enough?

I'm looking to get more big cages so that i can expand my monitor collection but I can't build my own right now and don't want to spend 500+ ea on prebuilt cages. I really like the look of the display cases, there are a lot of them being sold around me for fairly cheap, but is the glass strong enough? I'm looking at a few that are 70"x40"x20. Look just like the ones at a smoke shop and I've seen people drop things on them in store without any problems, but if i have to add 2ft of dirt and sand would it need reinforcement so it won't bust? What about constant heat from lamps? If anyone that has done this can chime in and post pictures, it would help. Thanks.

Old 04-18-2018, 12:12 AM   #2
hotlips
I have a feeling that display cases are made of tempered glass, which is the only kind you'd want to use...I think they'd have to be, because no store-keeper would want to get sued if the case broke and injured a customer. I've seen display cases for sale in the past & considered that option myself, but every case is different...if it meets your needs, I don't see why not? That doesn't mean every one of them will hold the extra weight you're talking about...if there's any doubt, why not add support to the bottom? Also, compare the thickness of the glass to an aquarium of a similar size. Do they have enough ventilation? (so they don't over-heat w/ heat lamps etc)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!