Bad Guy Evan Stahl - Sent Me Sick Pine Snakes - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 11-06-2017, 07:22 AM   #41
Lucille
This seems to be the timeline, please add to it or correct if the facts differ:

August 24, OP receives snakes and says they are perfect, says he fed new snakes after 1 week and weekly thereafter
September 7 male regurgitated meal
September 14 male was fed again but reportedly did not regurge
September 19 male reportedly died
September 19 OP notifies Evan who advises Flagyl, OP does not start Flagyl until over 5 weeks later
September 24 female regurges, OP continues to feed but female allegedly does not look good
October 18 OP reports that he contacted Evan
November 1 OP says he has now started giving Flagyl

Old 11-06-2017, 09:50 AM   #42
Ed Clark
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC View Post
just a clarification. The flagyl that was recommended is NOT for parasites. Flagyl (metronidazole) is an excellent medication for anaerobic bacteria (most intestinal bacteria). When the temps are not perfect or the meal is too large and an animal goes into a regurge cycle that you can not break, a dose of flagyl will reduce the concentration of intestinal flora and hopefully settle the animal's gut.
This is correct,I have used flagyl for bacteria overloads with succes.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:56 AM   #43
Snake-Queen
In snakes the use may be different, but I've never treated snakes with it only bearded dragons and in most cases, it is used to treat intestinal parasites; which is why I stated as such.
Attached Images

Old 11-06-2017, 11:26 AM   #44
WebSlave
Back in my corn snake buying days, it was not unusual to get some snakes in that would seemingly have a regurge problem right off the bat. The usual suspect was Entamoeba invadens, and the usual treatment was a dose of Flagyl (metronidazole). This proved to be totally effective, I believe, and it appeared to act as an appetite stimulant as well. So personally I think it sound advice to recommend this treatment as a first step in a "sight unseen" regurge problem.

IMHO.

Old 11-06-2017, 11:53 AM   #45
Black Adder
Just to share an experience that is somewhat relevant to the case in hand here.

I had a pair of m/f snow bull snakes that had been in my care for about 18 months both suddenly regurge the same week of feeding, no issues with any other snakes fed at the same time. No big deal, wait a couple of weeks, dose them with flagyl and try again.
Well about 13 days later BOTH rolled and died within about 2 hours of each other, so yes I considered this very concerning.
I took the female to have a necropsy done at a fair expense.
Results....totally inconclusive as nothing really could be seen wrong at all. Now the vet explained that even the best reptile vets still have not the best understanding of just what goes on inside these magnificent cold blooded creatures at times whose design has remained unaltered basically from prehistoric days.

So considering the vast majority of people likely do not have access to even a half decent reptile vet, most times it is nearly a fruitless exercise. Yes I realise there ARE some great reptile vets out there but they are not as common as some on these forums would lead you to believe. And the 3 I know in my area, ALL charge $80 just to walk in the door!

Now as these were snow bull snakes from the same clutch I concluded most likely some genetic disorder as you have to remember that all snows, albinos etc are really a form of a genetic abnormality and who knows what else may have occurred internally?

As the ops pines were albino there is a chance they were doomed from the start as the only snakes I have lost for no good reason are the pair of snow bull snakes and 1 snow cornsnake.

No sides taken here, just saying......

Old 11-06-2017, 01:01 PM   #46
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Adder View Post

So considering the vast majority of people likely do not have access to even a half decent reptile vet, most times it is nearly a fruitless exercise. .
I understand what you are saying. But if one makes the choice not to go to a vet, I think that one should at least do something for the ailing critter.

But here, for quite a bit of time, the OP appears not only to have not taken the critter to a vet, but not have done anything for many weeks despite the flagyl advice received from the seller.
Ultimately the OP did give flagyl but it appears to be given over a month after Evan suggested it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Adder View Post

As the ops pines were albino there is a chance they were doomed from the start
Perhaps so. But spacing the feedings a little further apart might have been good, or starting the flagyl earlier.

Old 11-06-2017, 01:09 PM   #47
Black Adder
I absolutely agree Lucille and that was a definite mistake on the ops part for sure imho.
Flagyl should have been administered within a couple of days of the regurge.
Considering their relative young age I probably would have attempted a refeed about 10 to 12 days later if everything else appeared to be good.
It is possible they could have lived but also entirely possible that not much could have helped.
But yes Flagyl should have at least been tried at an early stage.

Old 11-06-2017, 07:09 PM   #48
RichsBallPythons
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaker81 View Post
I purchased 2 baby albino southern pinesnakes from Evan Stahl Reptiles https://www.facebook.com/EvanStahlReptiles/ and received them on August the 24th. Both ate small meals a week after arrival and then were fed weekly after that. On 9/7 the male regurgitated its meal, held down its meal on 9/14, then died on 9/19.

I notified Evan Stahl on the 19th and did not get a response until the 21st. The response basically said none of his other customers were having issues and that I should administer Flagyl.

The female then regurgitated its meal on the 24th and from there forward has kept down all meals. I assumed it was going to be ok as it seemed to be eating normally. I hoped for the best.

The female is now lethargic and while it is holding down meals it's poop is a bit runny and grayish. I notified Evan of this issue and he was very confrontational and basically told me it was my fault for not administering Flagyl. I insisted that he should have not sold me sick animals in the first place and let him know that I was very dissatisfied with the purchase. That is where I left things with him.

I have now administered flagyl after my not so great discussion with him on the 18th of October and am not seeing any difference in the female specimen.

I wanted to post my experience with Evan Stahl Reptiles since his reviews are turned off on his facebook business page and I would also like any suggestions you may have for getting this girl back on track.
Pay attention to the bold i highlighted...

You got the snakes on the 24th, then on the 31st you fed them. Then again week later on the 7th which the male regurgitated its meal. You then offered another meal 7 days later, and snake died 2 days later...

Unsure of your knowledge when it comes to regurges, but you pushed food to fast too soon. Not allowing the gut flora to replenish in time, the rodent sat in the stomach and rotted away. Whenever a snake regurges, you need to go SLOW and i mean SLOW, to allow their stomach to bounce back. This is not on Evan, but on you for feeding to soon.

Old 11-06-2017, 08:41 PM   #49
elena

Old 11-06-2017, 09:10 PM   #50
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaker81 View Post

I have 18 pines in my collection currently and have never experienced anything like this. They are usually greedy pigs who grow like weeds.

For Evan tell me to treat the snakes for disease with Flagyl, sight unseen and with so little data, throws up red flags for me.

I did not post this to argue with Evan or to spend all my days in this forum. I have been a fauna member since 2005 and I have not ever had to post a negative review of a seller/company before.
Evan tried to help you and your critters.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!