egg question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-08-2011, 09:22 AM   #1
edf01
egg question

Ok, this is the first time I am not incubating eggs that have dimpled. I have hatched dimpled eggs ( from being a little dry) no issues, vurt of course, I aim to not have that problem. My first clutch was the one that had issues, so 4 eggs died, and 2 are a little dimpled. not terrible, but never plumped back up.

my other 2 clutches arent dimpling, and when I touch them, they are firm. I never really felt a non-dimpled egg before. It doesnt squish in at all- kinda like a full ballon. there is a hint of give, but very little at all. One clutch has a few that pushes in a little bit better( i aint poking serverly hard on them mind ya...)

I am just wondering, since i lack experience with non non-dimpled eggs, if that is normal? I'd just fear theyt are too moist and they are expanding.... I could give them more ventilation, but I dont want to just automatically change something part way through incubation.

thanks in advance!
janet

Old 06-08-2011, 09:27 AM   #2
TheFragginDragon
What day are you at in incubation, what kind of substrate, and what temp do you have it set at?

Old 06-08-2011, 09:28 AM   #3
Matt2979
They sound like healthy eggs to me. I always worry more over the ones that are more dimpled. Any pics of yours?

Old 06-08-2011, 09:33 AM   #4
edf01
no pics yet,

the 2nd clutch is one month in, the 3rd is a week behind, so like 30 days for one, 20 for the second. the first clutch will be on day 55 next sat.

I incubate at 88 degrees. They are on straight perilite, but they dont touch the the substrate- they are up on light crate.

there very well may be nothing wrong....lol.... but like i said, i am just not used to them not being dented a bit.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:36 AM   #5
TheFragginDragon
I think Matt's right, you can relax. If they aren't making any contact with the moisture underneath, then unless condensation is raining on them, they aren't at risk for overhydration. Mine personally don't start denting until about day 45.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:42 AM   #6
Matt2979
I just snapped a couple of pics of my only 2 clutches. The eggs in the first pic (IMO) don't look nearly as healthy as the ones in the second pic, but I've hatched plenty that looked WAY worse. Of course my eggs that I think look healthier are from a normal female x various co-doms, and the dimpled eggs are my hypo mojo x mojo! LOL

Eggs in first pic were laid 5/31 and second on 5/28. (I'm not counting days until the end is near! )
Attached Images

Old 06-08-2011, 10:20 AM   #7
B&C Ball Pythons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2979 View Post
I just snapped a couple of pics of my only 2 clutches. The eggs in the first pic (IMO) don't look nearly as healthy as the ones in the second pic, but I've hatched plenty that looked WAY worse. Of course my eggs that I think look healthier are from a normal female x various co-doms, and the dimpled eggs are my hypo mojo x mojo! LOL

Eggs in first pic were laid 5/31 and second on 5/28. (I'm not counting days until the end is near! )
I don't believe that for one second Matt!

Old 06-08-2011, 11:03 AM   #8
Matt2979
Quote:
Originally Posted by B&C Ball Pythons View Post
I don't believe that for one second Matt!
LOL...I really don't though. I try to keep enough "stuff" going on that I don't obsess too badly until it's getting time to look for my scissors! When a clutch is laid, I put the "cut-date" (day# 54) with the rest of the info. Now, when it's almost time to find out what I've got, my impatience does start getting the better of me.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:28 AM   #9
edf01
Matt,
yeah, i write my dates laid, then a while later I check. For this thread, is when I counted for the 2nd or 3rd. I only counted for the first one so soon b/c there was an issue very early on. So I hear ya on waiting a bit! Tho, as you can see, it doesn't always make you any less of a worry wart.

Looks wise, mine look like yours. So, I think i am in the clear. I just wanted opinions since i always had dimpled eggs. I am gonna snap some pics when i check just to have a visual to keep as a reference if I think they are doing something funky.

thankyou very much for the pics, and everyone, thanks to chiming in with your advice. I greatly appreciate it/.

janet

Old 06-10-2011, 02:20 AM   #10
RichsBallPythons
I just cut a clutch about 5 days ago on day 49 and they were still round like the day tey were laid. Some have swelled larger over the weeks during incubation. Ive never had a egg dimple ever with using substratless method.

I use tiny manicure scissors to make a tiny hole, then cut like you would paper with upward pressure away from snake. This will avoid the snake and not cut any veins.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!