Info Animal Plastics...my experience (pos and neg) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 05-16-2009, 04:29 PM   #1
whippet
Animal Plastics...my experience (pos and neg)

I am reporting my experience with Animal plastics cage and rack company. I am going to try and do this in order, as there were several problems some of which the company worked to make us happy.

I ordered 3 racks and 5 cages from Animal Plastics on March 17th. They were estimated to be shipped in 4 weeks. After several delays (once for being out of flextape and once for a confusion on the fact that the sterlite tubs sold for the rack I ordered are no longer made) the order was shipped. Both of these delays were explained by the company and we were given two seperate refunds for the delay.

Everything arrived on May 7th.

I put together the racks first. It was slightly confusing because the directions for putting them together were not labeled to match the units. However we did figure it out and after getting the first together the next two were simple.

Next I began to put together the cages. I ordered 2 T10s with split hinged doors and dividers. I also ordered lights for these cages.

They came with a hole in the top for the light cord with is rather large and will need to be blocked for all but the largest of my snakes. However since we have not put the unit fully together at this point, that hole may in fact be blocked by the light itself. But the big concern is the placement of the light does not allow for the divider to be used. There were 5 lights shipped for five cages, plus two dividers so I can split two of the cages. So ideally, each "split cage" will have one light and the divider should have a slot cut in it where the light will fit tightly in order to light up both of the sides of the cages. It looks like I am going to have to take the divider to Virginia to have my father use a jigsaw to cut these holes so that the lights can be used. This will be another two week delay in which my boas are shoved into too-small rack tubs.

As far as the dividers themselves, there were no instuctions and no slot or screw holes for it to be put in place. There are also no instructions on putting in the sliding glass doors or the locks on the 3 other T10s. We ended up using screws to bolt the divider to the side walls.

Communication has been another small issue. Phone calls are rarely answered although my understanding is Ali is on maternity leave and that may account for some of that. Emails have been answered far faster.

Most of this stuff is just meerly inconvenient but the divider issue is definately a problem.
Tara Simmons

Old 05-16-2009, 04:54 PM   #2
mvite
The divider issue may be due to the fact that there are 2 kinds of dividers. One is a "pop in" kind that sort of just wedges in place. The other kind of divider has a slot routed in the back of the cage and screws from the top. They are both the same cost and virtually the same piece--it's how the cage is made to accept the divider that makes a slight difference. Sounds like you fixed it with some herpin' ingenuity!

I bugged Ali a lot when she was crankin' out the kid. She ended up calling me and going through all of the above with me (as well as heat tape vs. cable, etc...)--I don't think it's explained if you just buy it on the site.

I had been recommended AP cages by some serious local friends and have a couple of their racks. I've got (10) T6 cages that should ship this week....

Old 05-16-2009, 07:06 PM   #3
TriangleReptiles
I have found that no matter what the problem is, or how challenged the buyer is,(referring to me,not Whippet) Animal Plastics will come through for you. Just ask. They have the absolute best customer service.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:23 PM   #4
ddodge
I ordered a 1754/1756 rack from AP and love it. I really like the heat cable they use as well. I had no problem with assembly and found the directions reasonable, but I did have some issues with delays. I ordered it with casters and it was delayed because they were out. Eventually they shipped it without and would send them later, when the shippment came in. About 6 weeks later I got the casters but couldn't put them on because the star nuts on the rack weren't there. After a phone call and a couple days wait the nuts arrived I assembled the casters and all is well with the world.. I will get my next rack from them. Even though it takes forever.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:52 PM   #5
KelliH
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsnake1 View Post
I have found that no matter what the problem is, or how challenged the buyer is,(referring to me,not Whippet) Animal Plastics will come through for you. Just ask. They have the absolute best customer service.
Agreed 100%. I think their racks are second to none as well, they are the only ones I use.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:14 AM   #6
whippet
The divider issue has another problem discovered yesterday while assembling the divided T10...the heat pad is only designed for one side so if you divide the cage not only will the light not work...the heat won't either. Why bother making them dividable if you can't fuctionally use them that way?

Old 05-17-2009, 11:42 AM   #7
whippet
ON a wonderful update. The company is indeed working with us to fix this design problem and really has been fantastic about working to make us happy. I appreciate the have gone to such lenghs to help.
They are offering to cut us new tops that will work with the lights so that we have two sets and hopefully we can switch to the longer thinner heat tape to heat both sides.

AP came HIGHLY recommended by many great people, so I am very happy to say that they are living up to the standard even with a few bumps in the road.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:09 PM   #8
Tim Cole
Thumbs up

I bought my fist AP Racks used and loved them immediately. Since than, I have bought 3 more with no issues. I am very pleased with these racks.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:19 PM   #9
laterob
Tara - the cutouts on the bottom of the tank for flexwatt or cable heat are just suggestions. I have divided tanks too, and just put the flexwatt down the middle. I don't notice a temperature difference between the sides.

Ali is coming back full-time. I, too, have had frustrating delays. I think they'll get their supplier shortages (flexwatt, track, plastic) figured out and they'll get back on track (pardon the pun) pretty quickly.

I think they have the best quality cages AND racks on the market and their desire to make things right is second to none. Until they get caught up/ straightened out, simply order them before you need them ( I made the mistake of pre-buying snakes, now I feel bad for the sellers who are still holding them for me).

Old 05-25-2009, 08:40 PM   #10
whippet
Just adding an update that AP really came through and fixed all of our problems. They cut us new lids for the divided cages that have a spot for two lights, and they provided them, the extra lights, and extra heat at no cost to us. That was beyond customer service and I am very very VERY happy!!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!