What is hatching in this clutch? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-14-2013, 08:47 AM   #1
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
What is hatching in this clutch?

So~ I've not been keeping up with the morphs lately~ and have no idea what is hatching here. I'm pretty excited about them~ the only Unexpected hatches I get are when I breed a known het to a morph and get all normals (it's happened more than once~ always an unpleasant surprise). So this time I bred a known het to a visual and.....
Purplish babies are hatching?! Wow~ what are those??
So let me tell you the history of the parents of this clutch and maybe some of you more knowledgeable can figure out what I've got hatching.

So in Feb 2007 I purchased a 4 year old het piebald female from a young man who had purchased her originally from Tony Hurt of Snake evolutions. I got a picture ID of the female when she was a neonate from Tony Hurt and proceeded with the purchase. Days after I purchased her Tony Hurts genetics where questioned on the BOI and I thought I'd been ripped off again. So I was disappointed~ but not one to give up easily~ I sent her off on a breeding loan to Heather (user name Ladyohh on fauna). Heather produced two pieds on her when bred to her pied male! Woot~ my first visual! Two females~ Heather kept one and she sent me the other along with the adult females I had sent to her. Fast forward a few years that female pied Heather produced was bred my original het pied male (purchased from Kahl in 2002) and in 2011 she produced a pied male that I kept. Again fast forward~ this year 2013 I bred the original Het Pied female that was produced by Tony Hurt in 2003 to her grandson who is a visual pied and they produced a clutch of 7 eggs laid on 8-22-13. I was expecting those eggs to begin pipping around 10-17 and for there to be either 50% pieds in there or all normal hets (it's happened before). So I was surprised and disappointed when I saw them pipping on 10-10. It's not that the incubator is too hot as another clutch of albinos laid on 8-14 was also pipping on 10-10 just when I expected them to. For some reason these babies just pipped a week early and two of them shot right out of the eggs before I even realized they were pipping and died (didn't absorb their yolk sacs). Lost a normal and a pied. So I'm disappointed but when I pull the bodies out I noticed......

Two of the eggs are pipping something different! At this point another normal and another pied have hatched and they look fat so I'm hoping they have absorbed their yolks despite being early~ I left them in the egg container and I'm trying not to disturb the last two as I'd like them to stay in the egg absorbing the yolk as long as possible... But I did snap a couple pics~ would you have a look at those heads? Whats popping out? Whatever it is I'm guessing it's a hidden het off the original Het pied female produced by Tony Hurt in 2003.

Any guesses whats up?
Attached Images

Old 10-14-2013, 10:55 AM   #2
Focal
Nice stuff there, congrats. Can't wait to see full shots.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:04 PM   #3
LadyOhh
They look Caramel or Hypo

Old 10-14-2013, 12:38 PM   #4
Robert Walker
Look like Hypo Pieds, even better if they are Caramel Pieds IMO

Old 10-14-2013, 08:50 PM   #5
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
One finished hatching~ It's kinked. I'll post pics tomorrow. I should have known better than to get excited~ another not good surprise.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:00 PM   #6
ClarkT
Awesome!
They almost look like mystic potions, but that really wouldn't make sense. Are they out of the eggs yet? ...... How about now? ........ Now?
Dangit! Hurry up! lol

Old 10-15-2013, 09:32 AM   #7
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
yep~ they are out of the eggs....and I should have known better than to suspect something good was happening. Thats just not my luck with the Ball Pythons.... seriously this may be the straw that makes me finally give up. I am just so very frustrated. I believe they are caramel pieds and both are kinked.
Attached Images

Old 10-15-2013, 09:52 AM   #8
SERPENTS DEN
Those are Caramel Pieds and it's such a bummer they kinked, I feel your pain.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:49 PM   #9
AbsoluteApril
look like caramel pieds to me as well. But awwww, I am so sorry they are kinked! Hey, now you know something is up and that might give you motivation to try again? Maybe try outcrossing to unrelated caramel pied genetics?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!