I think she's egg bound!? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-29-2012, 05:33 PM   #1
AdamR
I think she's egg bound!?

I was so excited this year because my favorite female, a 2007 Spider, was finally interested in breeding. She locked many times and has since laid 2 good looking eggs on the 23rd of this month, but there are visibly 3 more bulges in her and she has shown no signs of trying to lay them! I am very concerned because the bulges have become larger over the past 2 days and I do not believe that she is going to be able to lay them. I am no longer concerned for the eggs, I simply want my girl to be ok! Any tips as to what I should do? Do I need to have the egg closest to the cloaca drained or should I palpate her until she lays?

Please Help! I will post pics shortly.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:43 PM   #2
radera5
Something like this, I would be getting her to the vet. I'm sure there are plenty of ways to extract eggs from a female, I personally wouldn't mess with that though.

Good luck, I hope she pulls through okay.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:47 PM   #3
snowgyre
I would take her to a vet. If an egg bursts or rots in the oviduct it will kill your snake. Those eggs probably need to be surgically removed.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
AdamR
The pics aren't great but you can clearly see the 4 bulges.

Name:  IMG_1378.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  182.9 KB

Name:  IMG_1379.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  178.0 KB

Old 05-29-2012, 06:25 PM   #5
radera5
Definitely eggs...or slugs. Something though. I wouldn't waste time, I would get her to the vet. Her health is #1.

Good luck I really hope she ends up being okay.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:08 PM   #6
AdamR
I just got back from the Vet. She gave "Jill" a shot of Baytril and another shot of Oxytocin. In addition, she gave Jill a catheter with Saline and orally tubefed her Glucose and Calcium in a solution. She said she wanted to give Jill the night to lay her eggs naturally and if not then she would do sugery to cut them out. She wasn't familiar with the practice of draining eggs and asked me to send her some info on it. Can anyone help me with that, or is draining eggs not a good idea? I have only read about it in a couple books but never seen or done it.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:30 PM   #7
Kingofspades
I would think draining would be better than cutting her open.
Drain the one closest to the "exit" and see if she can pass it and the others naturally.
If she can, then she is ok, and you managed to save the last two eggs.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:23 PM   #8
GREGORY J HALL
Ive palpated them out before I would not cut her open!

Old 05-29-2012, 09:30 PM   #9
AdamR
I have been attempting to palpate her for the past 20 min. I'm afraid to be too rough because I dont want the egg to burst inside her.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:49 PM   #10
GREGORY J HALL
they can take alot I used my probs with some lue to go around the vent & work it out the one I did it too is alive & well,mine was more serious because she pulled ou her oviducts with the eggs removed part of the duct,she healed fine & eats like a pig no worse for the wear.happened over a year ago.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!