I NEED HELP! EXTREMELY MALNOURISHED KITTEN! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Mammals.

Old 06-08-2018, 06:25 PM   #1
Zach8498
Exclamation I NEED HELP! EXTREMELY MALNOURISHED KITTEN!

Yesterday, I found a very skinny kitten by my house. It was very alive and active. I told my mom that it needed food, but it was night, so she told me she would get food in the morning. We had to go to my brother’s graduation, so she agreed to get food after. The kitten was still perfectly fine besides being really hungry. 3 hours later, we get back and the kitten is laying on the floor. The kitten is still breathing and has a heart beat. It won’t wake up. I don't know what to do. I wrapped it in a blanket and put it on a heat mat. My mom finally got cat milk, but I don’t know what to do. Please help me.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:20 PM   #2
snowgyre
Take it to the vet. There are a number of dangers to you from taking in an unknown kitten, not the least of which is rabies. You need to know if you've been exposed. The vet will know if the kitten can be saved or should be euthanized. If the kitten has rabies you and everyone exposed need to be given prophylaxis shots... it is extremely urgent you go to the vet to get this diagnosed! Rabies is 100% fatal once symptoms show, including in humans.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:21 PM   #3
snowgyre
In the meantime, treat the kitten as a biohazard. Wear rubber gloves, wash everything it has come into contact with with a 10% bleach solution, and keep all of your other pets away from it.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:22 PM   #4
Zach8498
Thank you for the advice. I will clean everything that came in contact with the kitten and avoid physical contact with the kitten. My parents won't take it to the vet. How could I take care of it at home? I have been force feeding it for the past 4 hours. It finally woke up. It is now drinking cat milk from a plate. He has started walking around a little bit. He's still lethargic and goes back to sleep every few minutes. He seems to be getting better.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:39 PM   #5
snowgyre
If the cat dies get it tested for rabies. However, if your parents won't take it to the vet the best option is to surrender it to the pound. You are ill-equipped to help the kitten. You are putting the kitten and your entire family at risk trying to do so.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:42 PM   #6
snowgyre
Here's the thing, that kitten probably has worms, ear mites, fleas, possible feline leukemia, eye infection, respiratory infection, possible FIV, possible rabies... a whole litany of contagious and potentially dangerous diseases. You simply cannot treat it without vet attention. Your heart is in the right place, but you need to think about what's best for the cat. Surrender it to the pound. If you can't get there yourself, try to get a friend with a car to drop it off for you.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:55 PM   #7
Zach8498
I think I might be able to convince my mom to bring the kitten to the vet when it gets better. She didn't want to take it to the vet because it would cost a lot to have the vet heal the kitten and give it vaccines. She was willing to take two other cats to the vet for just vaccines. She is afraid of diseases that the kitten might carry, so she will probably take it to the vet for vaccines.

Old 06-08-2018, 09:02 PM   #8
snowgyre
I'm glad she's willing to take it to the vet, but prepare yourself, because that cat is going to need a lot more treatment than just vaccines. That's why I suggested taking it to the pound. Even if they euthanize it, that is a far more humane outcome than having it languish in your well-meaning but unprepared care.

Old 06-08-2018, 09:08 PM   #9
AbsoluteApril
I agree, if you can't get to the vet, please contact a rescue ASAP or take it to the pound. Sounds like it might not make it. I'm sorry, wishing you and the little one the best.

Old 06-08-2018, 09:15 PM   #10
Lucille
Zach, you have a good heart. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your little kitten.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!