New Beardies...need some help... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-16-2011, 09:21 PM   #1
loye
New Beardies...need some help...

So I just picked up a couple Beardies today, they are adults (was told the previous owner had them from babies and its been a cpl yrs). Well first thing I have to do is get a new tank...possibly build a couple...because the tank they are in is way too small for two beardies...not to mention the fact I was told they are both males (which I know is a big no no). So aside from that, one of them went to the bathroom today shortly after getting them home, and it was a little runny and green...is this normal? I'm thinking it may be either from what the crickets were being fed or the pellet diet they've been on (they have Total Bite for the crickets which is a food/water green jelly looking thing and then they have been feeding them juvenile bearded dragon food) So I'm sure that is all probably not good either. I also noticed they seem to have kinda saggy like skin...some ways they sit they seem to have loose skin. So far that is all I have noticed, other than that they are super nice! lol My daughter named them Fred and Monkey...guess that's what you get for letting a 3 year old name them lol

Old 05-16-2011, 11:34 PM   #2
Omnomnami
You're on the right track with caging. They definitely shouldn't be housed together. Start getting some solid feeders in them and some fresh greens...I don't think anyone here would recommend pellet food or anything that comes premade for beardies. Also, if the poo is really runny you will want to keep them hydrated. The sagging skin could be from them being underweight or possibly dehydrated. Sometimes the healthiest dragons can have sagging skin though. Are they active? Do you have any pictures so we can get a better look at them?

I know a lot of people recommend getting fecal tests done but this seems like it was caused by their diet which can be easily fixed and they'll absolutely love you for it. If they seem lethargic or don't get better from a proper diet, I would definitely take a fecal sample to your nearest herp vet.

Good luck with your new kiddos!

Old 05-17-2011, 01:01 PM   #3
loye
Thanks! Today I am going to start working on the enclosures (think I'm going to build some) I will also run to the store today and get some real food for them!!! I didn't think pellets were probably a good thing...just doesn't seem right for a lizard to eat pellets. So I'm going to get some crickets, and some greens. I believe I read somewhere that it's a good idea to spray their greens w/ water to help hydrate? The color/consistency of the poo makes me really think that it is due to what the crickets were eating...its really nasty looking!!! I'm gonna try solids and see if that gets them going some I've had a few reptiles, but these are my first beardies. I have attached pics of the cage they have been in as well as pics of my babies I tried to get a good pic of the skin, but it's hard to tell
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2011, 01:04 PM   #4
loye
just noticed in the first pic you can see the container of what the crickets have been eating. You can also see the pellets they had...and the greenish color on them from running through their poo (would a warm soak help maybe get that off them?)

Old 05-17-2011, 01:32 PM   #5
Omnomnami
They do look like they could use a soak! As far as veggie and insect variety, check out Bloodbankdragons. http://www.bloodbankdragons.com/diet.asp They have a simplified list of what should get your boys thriving. I hope this helps!

I would also like to add, never leave their tank wet if you mist them. The humidity can cause all sorts of health problems and spread bacteria like crazy. So mist very lightly and try not to get water all over the tank.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:08 PM   #6
loye
That did help thanks!!! I just gave them a salad of collard/mustard greens w/ a little carrot and a cpl tiny pieces of squash. I think tonight I am going to give them a soak Thanks again for the help!

Old 05-17-2011, 07:24 PM   #7
Omnomnami
That's great! I'm glad I could help.

You're very welcome!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!