tremper incubation method - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

View Poll Results: what do you think about the tremper incubation method?
I do not agree with it and don't use it 24 42.11%
i have no problem with it and use it 8 14.04%
i could care less as long as it is represented as such 17 29.82%
either way is fine and i dont care if they do or dont disclose this info 8 14.04%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-27-2006, 08:58 PM   #41
Ian S.
I as well used the tremper method for the last two years. The results were not even close to what I was looking for as far as TSD is concerned. I had a total of 42 eggs between last two breeding seasons, four geckos turned out to be female. (Staggering I know) pretty upset myself. Although I only hatched one deformed gecko that ran around in circles, this wasn't enough for me to believe that it was actually due to the TSD method rather than a genetics glitch. My interpretation from Trempers site, lead me to believe that he implied to keep two incubators, one at 80-82 degrees and one at 90 degrees. I already knew that such a temperature fluctuation would surely kill or deform the embryos. I had three hovabators hooked up to rheostats. The first one kept temperatures that slightly fluctuated between 81-82 degrees. The second I used in order to acclimate the eggs up to 90 degrees over a four day period, a few times I ran into the circumstance where I had to let a couple eggs incubate at 82 degrees for three weeks rather than the two. The third incubator also slightly fluctuated between 89-90 degrees. Not only did I hatch out 96% males but the overall color of the geckos were not affected at all! I just hatched what I believe to be a patternless stripe albino, that I can almost guarantee it to be male, but is also so dark, that other than eye color you'd never know it to be albino. It too was incubated at 82 for two weeks then brought up to ninety and is currently being held at 90 degrees in it's sweater box. This year I will try holding the eggs all at 82 degrees and see what happens.

Old 04-27-2006, 09:32 PM   #42
Golden Gate Geckos
I still do not understand why this incubation technique is called "the Tremper Method". It is the "Viets, Crews, and Di Prima Method"!!!

Old 04-27-2006, 09:43 PM   #43
LeosForLess
I think in 2 years we have kind of figured out everything about the tremper method , well not everything but a lot. Date

Old 04-28-2006, 06:09 AM   #44
Ian S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Gate Geckos
I still do not understand why this incubation technique is called "the Tremper Method". It is the "Viets, Crews, and Di Prima Method"!!!
LOL sorry Marcia, it's just that most of us started out a bit later and our first time learning of the method, we learned it from the info on his site. It's just easier to relate the topic to the younger gen. leo breeders such as myself.

Old 04-28-2006, 10:58 AM   #45
Golden Gate Geckos
Quote:
...we learned it from the info on his site.
Well, I know I'm an "old-schooler" (LOL!), but sometimes I get a wild hair when RT gets credit for everything, and especially stuff that he doesn't deserve credit for!

Old 04-28-2006, 04:05 PM   #46
LeosForLess
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian S.
LOL sorry Marcia, it's just that most of us started out a bit later and our first time learning of the method, we learned it from the info on his site. It's just easier to relate the topic to the younger gen. leo breeders such as myself.
What does that make me? A neonate?

Old 04-28-2006, 04:41 PM   #47
Ian S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Gate Geckos
I get a wild hair when RT gets credit for everything, and especially stuff that he doesn't deserve credit for!
He He your 100% correct, I myself will call it the "Tinker and toy method" I have to get it right. I'm still really bummed about all the males I have now. Last year I sold off alot of 100% het jungle albinos to a local pet store so it wasn't too bad, but sheesh I want to be able to provide pairs for people so that they can prove out the genetics of my animals without any flack. What I mean by that is, say, just for example, I sell an animal thats 66% het. albino and someones trying to prove it out with normals, well geez that could take a lot of people alot of time. A lot of time, as we've seen, causes alot of aggravation for both the breeder and the customers.

Old 04-29-2006, 12:32 AM   #48
Dan Lubinsky
We keep our incubators at 82 to 83 degrees in the hopes that they'll be mostly females. Maybe that's why there's no difference in coloration between the males and females. Our Rainwaters don't seem to be affected by cooler temps during incubation or after hatching,

Old 04-29-2006, 01:27 PM   #49
DiabloBoa
rainwaters not affected by temps? anyone else with rainwaters notice this? i only have lvpa's.

Old 04-29-2006, 02:32 PM   #50
LeosForLess
Well ive never seen a dark rainwater.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!