So, who is jumpin on the "mac snow" band wagon??? - Page 10 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-10-2005, 02:16 PM   #91
Chris@TSE
Somebody buy that man a laptop

Old 02-11-2005, 04:00 AM   #92
Hues1
Quote:
ok though i do have a couple of question about the mack snows that is serious.
if i was to take a "normal" leopard gecko and breed it to a snow (not a super) would i get half distinctly visible snows and half normals? or if i was to breed one to a tangerine? would i get half visible snows and the other half tangerines or tangish animals or whatever? and lasst one is this animal a true anertheristic?
hopefully alex or jodi can answer these
Hello Robin,

If you breed a Mack Snow to anything...albino, normals, high yellows, tangerines, wild type, etc....you'll end up with babies that are visibly Mack Snow. The Mack Snow babies are hatched black and white with a jungle pattern or black and white that develop into the jungle pattern within a few weeks. Babies that were hatched visibly Mack Snow were bred back together and produced the Mack Super Snow and also more Mack Snows, babies that were not visibly Mack Snow were also bred back together and produced all "normals"/high yellows.

If you breed a Mack Super Snow to a normal, wild type, albino, tangerine...etc. , you would end up with all of the resulting offspring visibly Mack Snow.

I personally think the Mack Supers are both Anerythristic and Axanthic because they lack both red and yellow pigment/coloration which is also probably one of the factors that makes the eyes black. Non of the Mack Supers produced to date have showed any yellow or red whatsoever, they all have crisp white backgrounds with the black striping and the black eyes.

Old 02-11-2005, 04:21 AM   #93
robin d.
ok supers shows have no reds or yellows but do any of the mack snows aka hets have yellow or red pigment?

Old 02-11-2005, 04:48 AM   #94
Hues1
Some Mack Snows do show yellow as they mature. It varies from a A+/A- grade to around a C+/C- . See pic below for an example, the below male is 8 months old but was relatively black and white up until a couple of months ago. If he was a "line bred" snow...I would say he would be considered a B/B- grade. Non of the Mack Snows have showed any Red, I would believe its safe to say that they are at the very least anerythristic.

Old 02-11-2005, 07:34 AM   #95
Gregg M
So now with that being said, and I am soley going by what you said, the resulting offspring, when bred to another morph, unless recessive, will end up as snows???? For example, A ss was bred to a SHtang, all orange will be cancelled out..... It is not hard to figure out what you can make from this line..... Pretty much, whatever you breed the snows with, you will end up with geckos that are black and white or just white with black eyes, unless ofcorse they are bred with albinos..... Pretty cool things can and will happen with this line, but I doubt it will be a cash crop like some are hypeing it up to be...... I think its alot of hype for an animal that will just be throughing black and white leos all over...... Thats why I said I will wait for the market to drop before I get any.......

Old 02-11-2005, 11:17 AM   #96
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovygeckos
asking john mack ?.... i tried before no answer whatsoever. nice huh ?
John is a "telephone" guy. Call him.

Old 02-11-2005, 11:39 AM   #97
groovygeckos
Thanks

just figured he would have at least wrote me back himself to tell me that ...... oh well

Old 02-11-2005, 11:47 AM   #98
groovygeckos
Q for Alex

im seeing a very small amount of orange on a few of the snow- form myself and alot of yellow. if these animals cannot produce red or yellow (ie:axanthic , anerythristic) how is that possible for them to display orange or yellow ? arent both anery and axanthic recessives in other animals ?

Old 02-11-2005, 12:33 PM   #99
robin d.
dan what anery or axanthic is in one reptile can be different in another... in boas hypo is a co-dominant trait.. in cornsnakes its a simple recessive, in ball pythons it is simple recessive... in leos one line is at minimal co-dominant and other lines are selectively bred... so what applies in one kind of reptile is not always the same in another.

alex have you seen any mack supers that exibit any yellows? like on the legs or tail base?

Old 02-11-2005, 12:54 PM   #100
groovygeckos
Thanx i understand that

but isnt it possible that what we call "hypo" in one animal ( say a leo as opposed to a cornsnake ) is actually a different trait alltogether and is being "coined" incorrectly . like the leos that were called "hypo" for lack of spotting arent actually genetically hypomelanistic but linebred . or blizzards and amel fat-tails were "leucistic" etc .
i think its really hard to say even by an expert .
look at the traits we know for sure thats what they are .
(now i have no idea on this just "hypo"thetically speaking lol ) but isnt albinism a recessive trait in all of the animals that exibit the trait ? im not saying it cant be different in other animals , just have a hard time convincing myself of this . sorry im such a pain in the ars

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!