Why do people....... More..... - Page 7 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-19-2005, 08:33 PM   #61
Vince
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliceinwl
Way back when...

Reptiles went a few differnt ways some stayed "reptiles" some evolved into the dinosaurs, some into the mammal like reptiles (forerunners of mammals). Not all dinosaurs are related to birds . There was a subset to them, however, that were (the bird like dinosaurs, I remember this including the tricerotops (sp?) and the bipedal carnivors (raptors actually had feathers) and the forerunners of birds.

The birds / dinosaurs diverged from reptiles a lot later than mammals so birds are still not too far from reptiles.

-Alice

I could go through my old textbooks and nail down the facts... but, that sounds like work
key word is old text book. the majority or reptile back then were no larger then they are today, a few giants, but most were small. In an evolution stance I have no idea, I belive that their was a mass extinction and not evolution into birds. their where also mammels at the time of dinosaurs.

Old 02-19-2005, 08:33 PM   #62
StinaUIUC
Funny you should mention brontosaurus...I'm pretty sure they are a dino that never existed! I believe they put the head of an apatosaurus on a brachiosaurus body and called it a brontosaurus...lol I could be wrong...but I'm pretty sure that's true...

Old 02-19-2005, 08:35 PM   #63
Vince
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripple H Herps
-Nile crocodiles are known for protecting there offspring long after they hatch. Stay with the nest, dig them out. And hide the hatchlings in her mouth in case of danger. Similare to that of a fish.
ah good point, but they do not protect the babies as a herd, in fact others niles will make a snack out of anothers babies . but the way crocs watch over babies is a key to why they have been around so long.

Old 02-19-2005, 08:35 PM   #64
leaftail
Tokay geckos are known for protecting their eggs and offspring.

Old 02-19-2005, 08:36 PM   #65
Vince
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinaUIUC
Funny you should mention brontosaurus...I'm pretty sure they are a dino that never existed! I believe they put the head of an apatosaurus on a brachiosaurus body and called it a brontosaurus...lol I could be wrong...but I'm pretty sure that's true...

you may be right, i havent heard that yet, but i said in an earlier post alot of this is being reported now.

Old 02-19-2005, 08:37 PM   #66
Vince
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaftail
Tokay geckos are known for protecting their eggs and offspring.
really I have never heard of that. thats pretty cool. as with the crocs i think another tokay would love to much them down though.

Old 02-19-2005, 08:37 PM   #67
leaftail
I could point out some humans who don't protect their offspring....

Old 02-19-2005, 08:38 PM   #68
StinaUIUC
Jim...ALL crocodilian females protect their offspring...nile crocs, american alligators, caimen...you name it, they protect their offspring! If you doubt it go try and nab some babies or eggs...hehe Also males will protect their females. If you agitate an adult female, watch out for the male coming to attack you!

Old 02-19-2005, 08:39 PM   #69
Tripple H Herps
Quote:
ah good point, but they do not protect the babies as a herd, in fact others niles will make a snack out of anothers babies . but the way crocs watch over babies is a key to why they have been around so long.
-Finally a thread on fauna that actually interests me! All the others bore me, no real topic and nothing up for discussion. I do beleive that the protection of there offspring was key to there survivale. Though they did change in evelution, it was VERY little. That infact is one of the main reasons I like many crocodilain species. That and the fact that they were built almost perfect. Can survive a year with only one meal, jumping to 6-10ft, and running (I think 30mph???), Razor sharp jaws, and tremendous snapping pressure.
Jim

Old 02-19-2005, 08:39 PM   #70
StinaUIUC
Vince the brontosaurus thing is actually something that I heard YEARS ago...I don't even remember when...which is why I say I could be wrong...lol I definitely remember hearing it though

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!