(Super) Hypo Tangerine = co-dominant? - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-13-2005, 05:04 PM   #31
KelliH
Quote:
no not because of thier color. thats linebred. because its from a pairing of a super hypo to a wild caught.
Ok, they look like super hypos to me but maybe I'm not seeing the same thing you are, who knows

Old 05-13-2005, 05:13 PM   #32
diablohogs
Quote:
Ok, they look like super hypos to me but maybe I'm not seeing the same thing you are, who knows
id really like to see what happens when he crosses two of his offspring from the super hypo X wild caught. my guess: they will indefinately have fewer spots and less melanin.

but i agree, at least by the linebred definition, that they appear to be superhypos ( über hypos...lol.). but your always going to get a spectrum on the heterozygous hypos and the homozygous hypos and he did state those were his hold backs and thier super hypo mother.

Old 05-13-2005, 05:17 PM   #33
Gregg M
I guess everyone has their own opinion of what a super hypo and hypo is......

If you look at the dictionary, hypo means "less than normal black pigment" or something along those lines.....

Super hypo would have to mean much less black pigment in the case of leos because when they were given this name, I do not think anyone thought they might be co-dom..... For the record, I do not think they are co-doms.....

In my opinion in the case of leopard geckos, super hypo means absolutly no black spots on the body and neck at all...... That is my personal standard.... Hypo would mean considerably less spotting on the body like no more than 10 to 12 spots..... Again, that is my standard.....

Now, does Urban line have Ray Hine influence..... If not, I am suprized at the amount of SHTCTBs I have produced.....

Old 05-13-2005, 05:39 PM   #34
magick-bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhac
so...maybe my wild caughts are some special wild caughts....I don't know what to think.
The female looks very much like what I remember the wild type imports looked like. However, your wild caught male looks like some of those special imports I mentioned up in my post on High Yellows. He actually looks allot like one of my F2 males that I used to start my Lavender line from. The last baby photo looks allot like what I was calling Lavenders when I sold out back in 95 or so. It will be very interesting to see if they retain their lavender bands or not. I really wish I still had some of my old Leo photos but they were all lost years ago when I moved.

~Jeff C.

Old 05-13-2005, 05:55 PM   #35
diablohogs
Quote:
Now, does Urban line have Ray Hine influence..... If not, I am suprized at the amount of SHTCTBs I have produced.....
urbans line of SHTCT do in fact have the ray hine blood.

Quote:
For the record, I do not think they are co-doms.....
for the record i believe they are either codominant or incomplete dominant. i doubt that if you bred a urban line SHTCT to a normal you would get anything comparable to the urban line SHTCT. but shouldnt they all look like the mother (minus the linebred traits) if its simply a dominant triat?

hey Rhac...any chance you can post your non-holdbacks? i bet those look less like super hypos.

Old 05-13-2005, 06:50 PM   #36
Gregg M
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablohogs
But shouldnt they all look like the mother (minus the linebred traits) if its simply a dominant triat?
No, when you breed two dominant traits together, you will get some that look more like mom, some that look more like dad, and everything inbetween.... You can use intergrades as a "graph" if you will....

Some dominant traits can be stronger than others and this will show in the offspring..... This does not make them co-dom or incomplete dom.....

The truth is, no one actually knows what is behind the Hine line hypos, so everything is pure speculation at this point.....

It does make for a very interesting topic though.....

Old 05-13-2005, 06:54 PM   #37
Gregg M
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablohogs
I doubt that if you bred a urban line SHTCT to a normal you would get anything comparable to the urban line SHTCT.
I do not think you will get anything comparable either..... And if you bred those offspring together, you will not get anything comparable..... This is what leads me to believe they are NOT codominant......

Old 05-13-2005, 07:43 PM   #38
diablohogs
the only way to figure this out involves crossing two "ghosts" (non tangerine ray hines hypos) together. keeping their offspring until adulthood and selecting 2, of opposite sex, that have the least amount of spotting.

assuming they are homozygous for ray hines carrot tail, breeding them to a wild type should produce all hypos. if not than you need to go back to the drawing board until you have 2 super hypos (a spotty super hypo and really nice hypo may look similar).

once you have confirmed you have two animals of opposite sexes that are both homozygous for ray hines hypo you will need to breed them to a normal. this should produce all ray hines hypos.

observe them as they reach maturity again. once they have, breed them and compare the offspring as they reach maturity.

im not a betting man but id bet the farm that there are three major phenotypes of the ray hines carrot tail.

a normal. no ray hines gene.

a hypo. one copy of the ray hines gene. reduced spotting in the bands.

a super hypo. two copies of the ray hines gene. extremely reduced spotting in the entire body.

if you cross ANY super hypo baldy to a normal you will not produce any super hypo baldies. they will have head spots, and spots in the bands.

i believe the confusion comes from breeding linebred hypo tangerines to super hypo tangerines. in this cross alot of the heterozygous offspring will appear to be homozygous. nice, orange hypos with hardly any spotting. "looks like a super hypo to me!"

than maybe those are bred to other things and some come out looking normal(er) because they dont have any copies of the ray hines gene but possess the lineage for reduced spotting, resembling ray hines hypos to some degree. ray hines blood DOES NOT mean they carry the gene.

well anyway... i still stand by what i believe. you can believe what you want. im done with this thread... at least for now.

Old 05-13-2005, 08:54 PM   #39
KelliH
Quote:
if you cross ANY super hypo baldy to a normal you will not produce any super hypo baldies. they will have head spots, and spots in the bands.
That is false Chad.

How many years have you produced Hine line super hypos? How many have you hatched out?

Old 05-13-2005, 09:27 PM   #40
diablohogs
Quote:
How many years have you produced Hine line super hypos?
i had a feeling this would come up.

i guess the real question is with all the geckos youve worked with over the years what have YOU learned from breeding them?

have you bred one of your nice hypo baldies to a normal? how sure are you that im wrong? did you try? if so i stand corrected. and if i stand corrected can you, for the sake of EVERYONE better understanding this trait provide us with some of the details of what youve learned?

Quote:
nuff said... why arent the others beautiful like pastels and normals and high yellows
i said that i liked the pastels. its on this thread. i dont think much of WT leopard geckos. sorry if that somehow offends you. i like RW PAs, Tang tremper albinos (jungle giant carrot head carrot tails!!!), SHTCT, red stripes, mack super snows, APTORS, hybinos (all 3 strains), Tangerines and blizzards (i like the blazings too). all fru frus. guess that makes me a dork then robin. a fru-fru leopard gecko loving dork. just dont tell anybody.

im going to go down to the pet store and buy one of these non-bling WT normal leopard geckos. just so i can breed my finest male SHTCT to it and follow through with proving weather or not ray hines carrot tails are dominant or codomiant/incomplete dominant.

that is unless someone has already done this...?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!