INQUIRY - snowballsballpythons.com - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 12-06-2005, 12:59 AM   #1
Ghi Reptiles
Stop! INQUIRY - snowballsballpythons.com

Does anyone have information about someone who goes by 'Snowballs' or snowballsballpythons.com?

I have been to their site and this is what I have found:

There is absolutely no information about them. No names, no phone numbers, no location, no address, and a yahoo e-mail address. If you 'Whois' the domain name, it was changed two days ago to a privacy account so nobody could tell who they are. There is a page of links on the website snowballsballpythons.com that has many well known breeders of ball pythons on it but I have checked with several so far, and none of them know this persons name...they just sign 'Snowballs' in the yahoo e-mails.

The website is a nice looking site but it is a bit scary that this person will not let others know who he/she is.

One thing is for certain though...THEY ACCEPT PAYPAL! Out of curiosity I clicked on the paypal link and the paypal account is just 'Snowballs' and that's it.

I mean who would have a website and still be using a yahoo account for e-mail? Wouldn't you use something like...sales@snowballsballpythons.com and so on?

Does anybody else see the <font color="#FF0000">red flags</font> besides me?

Old 12-06-2005, 09:07 AM   #2
Cat_72
I see red flags........yet scanning the website, it almost appears to me that this is a person just starting out (although they DO have a very nice site) and may not know all of the ins and outs of things yet. Their breeding stock only seems to consist of 5 or so animals...so I just don't know.

Keeping in mind...I'm one of those people who ALWAYS like to give the benefit of doubt to people....

Old 12-06-2005, 10:04 AM   #3
Chris@TSE
Seems to me someone just starting out. I was contacted not too long ago asking permission to post our shipping guide on that site.... Seems like a swell fellow.

Old 12-06-2005, 10:06 AM   #4
Ghi Reptiles
Hey Chris,

Did this guy give a name or did he just go by 'Snowballs'?

Old 12-06-2005, 10:07 AM   #5
Chris@TSE
just snowballs.... it was a request sent through our forums, did not think much of it. ill go ahead and link him to the thread so he can reply for ya....

ttyl matt

Old 12-06-2005, 10:16 AM   #6
Ghi Reptiles
Thanks Chris!

Just weary of the scammers and ripoffs out there. I am not trying to be mean but you would think if someone put up a website like that they would love to tell people about themselves...it's on almost every website out there. No contact phone? C'mon....a paypal account with no name associated with it? Would you send money to someone without knowing their name?

How about if they wouldn't tell you their name when you asked them for it. This person is on NERD's forum and refuses to give their name to anyone who asks and they have seen the post asking...kind of weird...but maybe I am just cautious after being ripped off by a couple of guys in the past.

Old 12-06-2005, 10:19 AM   #7
Chris@TSE
Yeah I hear you, I would think he would provide this information.

Many people new to the "biz" or internet sales can be a bit paranoid, especially those not familiar with how neglecting to share such information when trying to form a business presence can destroy any and all attempts before they are off the ground. Perhaps he has his reasons, perhaps not..... I linked him moments ago, lets see what he has to say I guess.

Old 12-06-2005, 12:47 PM   #8
Nirvana
Quote:
This person is on NERD's forum and refuses to give their name to anyone who asks and they have seen the post asking...
Whoever they are, I was severely turned off by the MASSIVE size of the banner they had on the NERD forum for awhile in their signature line. I noticed that a mod has since removed it, but the first time "Snowball" posted on that site I immediately thought that their post was little more than an excuse to get people to go to their website! Regardless of the quality of their animals and service, to me that's just... Rude. :P

I suppose that my comment doesn't help much, but the size of that banner did indicate, to me, that their main perogative is for some reason to get people to go to their site... (And not neccessarily to contribute to the conversations being had on forums.)

Old 12-06-2005, 01:05 PM   #9
Chris@TSE
I contacted this person to alert him of the thread here and this was his reply:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowballs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris@TSE
Thanks Chris,

I dont frequent that forum and dont have an account to it. I have heard to many negetive stories about it and don't need that type of hype in my life.

I enjoy what few animals I have and the simple life I lead.

Here is a perfect example of what I am saying, if someone has a question to ask me or about me, why haven't they asked me? My email is all over my site.

Thanks for the heads up though.

Happy Holidays
I stated in reply basically that a personal site is one thing, conducting business on one as well with annonymous information, site, and email addresses is another. This person gave me no reason to suspect anything odd until Matt brought up some good points, so I felt the need to address them.

Another thing that concerned me is the second reply I obtained...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowballs
Because to me its not a business.

I am private collector and enjoy my privacy. The only reason I have a for sale page is because my web guy did it in a package deal. If it wasnt for that I wouldnt even have it. He also warned me against posting my personal info on the net due to ID theft, stalking, and thieves that may use it to steal from me. With the latest events of stealing (ie the Paragon), I think his point has been proven valid.

I didnt know wanting to share some great information and some of my pictures was going to cause so much drama.
Now there was not much to concern me with this reply aside from the fact that there is no web designer, this site of his is hosted on freewebs free hosting, its "designed" using pre-made templates and this can be seen in the source of the html used to display the page. It also bothered me because when contacted for permission to post our shipping guide he made no mention of a designer and made the change himself, instantly. Even made an alteration thereafter as well, there is no designer. Not to mention no designer in the world would use a free host that utilizes a "make your own free site engine". Its a tool used for those with little to no knowledge whatsoever..... Not a designer.

It may be a simple white lie but to me, it is still a lie. I'd rather not be associated with someone who choses to be less than honest with me on such a simple topic and I have since asked he remove our shipping guide and all mention of our business name and any associated links.....

As for his legitimacy or any other facts on this matter, I honestly have no other input. Just this single experience, perhaps he may shed some light on this matter instead of allowing people to take a simple matter and run in the wrong direction with it, or perhaps its not the wrong direction? I do not know.

I gave him the benefit of doubt considering previous correspondence with this individual through our forums was quite pleasant. I was hoping he would come here to clear up any doubt but it is apparent that he has no intention of doing so, perhaps my first impression was wrong.

I have no problem with someone staying anonymous when simply running a private site, but when conducting any type of sales certain information MUST be provided and made public for your customers safety and assurance. The site from what I can see has sales written ALL over it, and it seems a bit more than the simply private site he described to me. I have taken a few screen shots just in case someone wishes to make changes to support previous statements as well, force of habbit I guess.

Either supply possible customers and consumers with appropriate information, a name, even perhaps a number..... an address is not necessary, something other than anonymous hosting and emails that leave people feeling very uneasy, or dont sell anything at all. simple as that imo.

Hopefully this has a positive turn somewhere. I wish I had been met with some understanding on his matter from this user but apparently he either has something to hide or has been grossly misinformed about business and proper courtesy.

Oh well, good luck everyone.......

Old 12-06-2005, 01:11 PM   #10
Chris@TSE
I also saw this on the blog section of the site, seems someone had some words to say to him and he took a bit of action...

Sorry Guys
Monday, Dec 5, 2005

Due to some very sad, pathetic degenerates that can't behave themselves in a civil environment and are bent on causing trouble, I have taken down the guest book. Fear not, I have their IP numbers (205.188.116.65), and will be forwarding it along to their ISP abuse departments. It wont be long before they are off the net all together and we all will be rid of them once and for all.

Sorry it has come to this, but low class degenerates will not be tolerated on our site or in our community.

Snowballs

Again, the repeat use of "our site", a terms of service page, an available page, yeah I think the private site excuse got a bit under my skin....

I'd like an explanation and it is obvious this person does not intend to do such a thing. I guess if this is where it stands I can honestly say I have enough doubt and concern to avoid a transaction with this individual, simply knowing there is something probably fishy going on. As for corresponding over the internet outside of sales, I have not seen anything other than the previous possible lie to lead me to believe this person is any sort of antichrist.... yet.

The rest of you may go forth and follow this up as you see fit, I've said my .02

Have a great day.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!