Cut throat TT debate (not for the weak of heart!) - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-07-2006, 04:18 PM   #11
KelliH
It's just a name Craig came up with. Pure marketing. The guy is briliant at that! Some of us (leo breeders) are better at the "business" side of this than others. I tend to call a tangerine, a tangerine. If it's really nice it's a really nice tangerine. I call a hybino, a hybino, not a sunglow. Which brings up a great point. Craig did the same thing with his sunglows. They are hybinos, but he made up a new name (sunglow) and it payed off, he has made thousands off his Tremper Hybinos (aka Sunglows).

UG has some gorgeous geckos. But from what I have heard from those that have purchased them, and the pictures I have seen that they have taken themselves, the Tangerine Tornadoes are just nice tangs. Like these two holdbacks from 05.

Old 01-07-2006, 04:32 PM   #12
Sarah H
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyO
OK, have any of you seen any of the animals i am talking about? I'm just going to let this one die. I just felt there could be a rating other than personal. Something everyone could decide and judge by. Like with carrot tails i hear that you need 15% ct, or baldie no spots, or super hypo less than so many spots. Why couldn't we say it has to be deeper than this color on this % of it's body to be a ........? We can all name basic crayola colors. So why can't we categorize them into subclasses for color by putting a "y", "o" or "r" in with the SHT. I just thought this might be an interesting way to class them by a set standard. So it would eliminate some of the opinions. Unfortunately i am alone on this one so i will have to admit defeat. I was hoping to get some input from some people who are experienced with these types. I emailed Craig at TUG and he had a good point. He said they are SHT. He is not saying they are another morph. Just that they are unique to the morph in some ways. They consistently put out offspring that also display the same unique characteristics and they have a very rich color.

No one said Craig was saying they were a new morph. you did the way I read it in the first post. I said they were SHT too.....

Old 01-07-2006, 04:55 PM   #13
WindyO
Actually Sarah i said they should have some different level of classification to the high end SHT's. I never meant they are a new morph, just that they have defining traits.WOW this is like being on trial.LOL.Go to albeys website and you will see he even he goes as far as % out the carrot tails of his geckos. Why is that any different? I am not doing this to drum business or coin a phrase. I just think it would be nice not to catagorize something like those two that Kelli has up top with one with patternless level of yellow color. Everyone has their own standards as to what nice and really nice are. So i thought we could all agree on a system of doing this.Anyway God Bless everyone no matter how you feel. This is by the way just a post / idea.

Old 01-07-2006, 05:19 PM   #14
KelliH
Brian-

This forum is so well liked by all of us because we can have these types of debates and speak our minds freely. Your opinions are as important as anyone else's here, and are welcomed.

I jokingly once said that I was going to name my Bell Hybinos "hissbinos" LOL. Maybe I should have! I wish I was as good at marketing as Craig. I am envious of him, I admit it!

Old 01-07-2006, 05:39 PM   #15
Sarah H
You were talking about classifing TT(ie UG line nice sht) seperatly from other sht/shtct at least in the title of this thread and in the other thread. I personally think There of just as nice and nicer sht/shtct's out there. Just look at the two kelli posted. Thats all that bothered me.

Seems like we have to many terms and names as it is, lol. No hard feelings it is hard to express some things in typeing at least for me anyway.

hehe....not a TT..two of my 04 hatchings

Old 01-07-2006, 06:15 PM   #16
Jeremy Letkey
I think that there are already some tangerine classifications. There are separate lines of tangs. Hiss, Tug, Albey and Hines to name a few. The people that know what they are doing in this business will always understand that if you want quality, you have to pay for it. The people the are just looking for the cheapest animal that they can buy aren't the people that you want to buy from you.

As far as classifying the different shades of tangerines... it's a really nice thought but it would never work. Even if all the big names all used the same classifications, there would still be the same joe schmoe's that would call their animals the same thing trying to make a buck. You'll see there will be a ton of "tangerine tornado's" for sale next year. Most of the animals for sale under that classification will not even be from the same lineage. That is the way it goes.

Old 01-07-2006, 06:24 PM   #17
groovygeckos
OK maybe it is called a debate LOL But why a "cutthroat, not for weak of heart" one? Just didnt understand the point, for that title.

I understand you Brian, its just we allready have, like Jeremy said "brand names". And there allready is a "star rating" (number of stars) being used. Then there is like I said an A, B, C, D,-type rating. So why confuse things?

Then there will be even more things for newbies on KS to get tore a new one for asking LOL LOL

Old 01-07-2006, 06:30 PM   #18
KelliH
another photo, outdoors

This is just showing one of the females pictured above with some others. Top middle female is the one from the picture above, left female is a holdback from 04, right female is a I got from Robert Lee. He called her a tang tornado so I named her "Dorothy".f

This pic was snapped real quick outside. It shows their true color much better than inside pics with flash.

Old 01-07-2006, 06:37 PM   #19
WindyO
Sarah i was saying their should be a class for high end ones. I wasn't eeven saying just for TUG line ones. But something that covers all of us. Kelli ,Albey,Golden Gate and all the rest of the breeders out their. The Picture you posted is a perfect example. Both are SHT's with one obviously deeper orange.I think it would be simple to pick something as common as a paint color or crayon color and say it has to have this % orange on its body to be a SHTO.(The O for orange) Or this much red to be a SHTR.
The only debate would be the color to judge off of and the % they must have. I don't think it would be complicated. It would also remove all debates of quality and tags.

Also if you read my other posts you would see that i praised her line. I know TUG isn't the only one with SHT's out there. All though they are my favorite.

Old 01-07-2006, 06:49 PM   #20
WindyO
OK Dan , let me try this again. The cut throat thing was because i had several people i was debating in the other thread. So i wanted to let people know in advance that this is a no pulled punches chat. Please express your ideas and emotions as freely as is your God given right.
Now like i said before it would be a simple way to class levels of colors. Take a look at the pic Kelli just posted. All of them are stunners. There are some obvious quality levels going on there. She said the one she got from Robert Lee was sold as a TT. I personally don't think that gecko deserves that classification. The one in the middle is far superior to the other. So why can't we all agree on a system rather than have people use tags that could be misleading because there is no industry standard. The only people i could see being oppossed to this are the ones who plan to take advantage of the loop hole.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!