Cut throat TT debate (not for the weak of heart!) - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-07-2006, 06:49 PM   #21
snowgyre
I really don't think this is necessary. Another classification system is just, well, confusing. Most of the time the pictures speak for themselves. Names don't mean much as long as you know exactly what type of animal you're getting.

Secondly, how do you plan on standardizing this new classification? As it is there are debates about carrottail percentages! I see this as bogging down the already terminology-heavy leopard gecko industry with more big words. I think it would be abused greatly. It's so easy to call your best offspring of the year a TT, even if it's just an average tang. Everybody has their own interpretation of how tang a tang is. Using crayons is a good idea, but I don't think it'll catch on.

Like Jeremy said, most people who know what they're doing know who to buy tangs from. Albey's, UG, Jeremy, Dan the Fireman, Sunset Gecko, and Kelli are just a few with excellent tangerine lineages.

Not that I'm saying don't try. If you think the industry needs this, then by all means, go for it! The market itself will determine whether or not your new classification is a success. I just have misgivings, is all. Honestly, I don't think it's as big a deal as you're making it.

Old 01-07-2006, 06:54 PM   #22
WindyO
Hi jeremy, i wasn't necessarily thinking of naming the top class TT. That is a distinction that belongs to TUG line geckos.This would be an industry standard that if expanded to common knowledge levels would be easily disputed.Most people know what % makes a carrot tail, or how many spots you can have on a SHT. Why can't we get this to work?

Old 01-07-2006, 06:58 PM   #23
groovygeckos
Brian I do work with more than the APTOR/ RAPTOR line. I do have, and am experienced with plenty of Tangs, SHT`s and SHTCTB`s. Im just not working on producing more, there are more than enough allready IMHO.
Heres a pic of one of some of our TangCT`s.

My opinion should be just as good as anyones since we have all seen pictures of UG`s, and then pictures from other breeders whose animals are just as nice. Im sure everyone on this board at the very least has a Tang and can comparatively judge the others by pictures.
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2006, 07:01 PM   #24
Jeremy Letkey
Brian, short and simple. It will not work because there is no way to get the 1000's of people who bred leopard geckos to all agree on a classification system.

If you think that you could get everyone to agree on one standard then you are delusional.

Old 01-07-2006, 07:03 PM   #25
WindyO
Venessa, i am only bored during the slow season and looking to start a thread that doesn't involve everyone congradulating each other on their breeder stock. I thought this might be an interesting debate. It seamed like an easy way to identify color variations to the untrained eye. It would be as simple as adding another letter to SHT.(Not to be rude but please check my previous posts about a couple of ideas off the top of my head. I don't want to repeat myself too many times. ) It would have too be a group desiscion.

Old 01-07-2006, 07:14 PM   #26
groovygeckos
Go look in the classifieds, some of these people cant even agree on a standard as it is. There are HT`s being offered as SHTCT`s as it is. There are people selling SHTCTs as "Super Tangs" for crying out loud and that is a Tremper Albino morph. LOL

Call them A+, call them, 5 or 6 stars, maybe something thats allready being used?... But being different will only cause even more confusion, everyone here even agrees on that much. LOL

Old 01-07-2006, 07:17 PM   #27
WindyO
Calm down everyone.This is just a thread. I am not telling anyone what to do. I am just replying to posts that all started with someone calling a SHT a TT.Dan , it has been a lot of fun debating this. I don't care either way if i win or lose. I was trying to get my points across. I don't care what the are called next year. My hatchlings are going to look the same no matter what i call them. It also isn't going to effect their prices. Their pictures do that. This is just an idea that everyone obviously is opposed to so it won't work. I just thought that all the other descriptive classes started somewhere so with the wide degree of SHT's why not?I mean seriously is what i described to hard for anyone here? I doubt it, just ask anyone a question about the genetics behind the different strains of albino's and they ramble away. Suggest adding 1 letter to a name and you would think we were talking nuclear science.

Old 01-07-2006, 07:20 PM   #28
WindyO
Come on jeremy, i am sitting here for hours arguing about the colors of geckos. Of course i am crazy, normal just means you move with the heard. How many do you have in your house? Do you think thats normal?

Old 01-07-2006, 07:30 PM   #29
groovygeckos
No its not hard and I think everyone understands what your saying, but think it will just cause more confusion w/ newbies, and maybe even some others.

There are allready sellers/breeders that havent a clue, the actual difference between a HT, and a SHTCT, or are misleading people, so this would just make it even worse.

Quote:
Their pictures do that
Exactly, the pictures and the price tells all. If it is high end the person buying allready knows what they are looking for, without any extra work on your part to classify it. They can clearly see the difference in something they like. Right?

Old 01-07-2006, 07:44 PM   #30
WindyO
Yes Dan i think you might have me cornered with that last post. I was just thinking if in place it could eliminate confusion for newbies and people unfamiliar with the line.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!