Leopard Gecko Registry; Unneeded Bureaucracy? - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-22-2006, 10:26 PM   #21
LeosForLess
I dont know about the whole book idea. We cant really compare this to the AKC because these are 2 differnet kinds of animals. You dont see dogs that are orange or striped or have red eyes or carrot tails. And I think a few more ppl would join the LGR if there was a gecko showing where the best in show won 50 grand. And geckos havent been big since like, forever, dogs were being bred for various things since humans first domesticated them. And there arent that many people with the credit and experience t omake a book, mabey tremper who already mad one. It would take a bunch of the powerhouses to get together and they would need to take all the pics similarly, not compile them. Then the book would have to come out every year, all the new morphs being introduced ad each year when one would be created, there would be controversy. So a website does seem most logical for the morphs, im not sure about registering breeders though. So a website nto a bad idea, but a book i wouldnt say is.

Old 01-22-2006, 10:38 PM   #22
dragonflyreptiles
lol I can assure you that there is no $50 grand wins in the AKC been there done that.

And that is the e3ntire POINT of the AKC there are differet kinds of dogs with different body types and markings that make the entire registry possible.

Paul & Steve, before you jest, how about you look up the entire life of the AKC and the groups they devide them into and the requirements of years of breedings records etc etc etc.

Old 01-22-2006, 10:46 PM   #23
LeosForLess
The point i was trying to make was that with geckos, the cycle is so much faster than dogs. And the one event the AKC hosts offers 50 grand to the winnner, i saw it on animal planet

Old 01-22-2006, 10:50 PM   #24
LeosForLess
www.akc.org is the site and rthe event is AKC/Eukanuba National championship,
Quote:
The AKC/Eukanuba National Championship offers more than $225,000 in prize money. The Best in Show winner will receive over $50,000. The breeder of the Best in Show winner is awarded $15,000.
that is straight from the site

Old 01-22-2006, 11:13 PM   #25
PaulSage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Gate Geckos
After re-reading my comment, I realized it sounded condescending... but that's not what I intended. Sorry!
Oh no, I didn't think it sounded condescending at all Marcia. Honestly. I just read your post and thought, "yeah, considering this is my first year actually breeding leos, why should I be one of the first few to start with the registration process?!?". Your comment just put it in perspective, and I totally agree with what [I think] you're saying. lol I only consider myself a "wannabe" because the darn eggs haven't hatched yet. What is it now, like day 56?

Old 01-23-2006, 12:51 AM   #26
Gecko_Den
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSage
Oh no, I didn't think it sounded condescending at all Marcia. Honestly. I just read your post and thought, "yeah, considering this is my first year actually breeding leos, why should I be one of the first few to start with the registration process?!?". Your comment just put it in perspective, and I totally agree with what [I think] you're saying. lol I only consider myself a "wannabe" because the darn eggs haven't hatched yet. What is it now, like day 56?
Paul I have had a clutch go 73 days before hatching a few years back! Talk about watching a pot waiting for it to boil! The clutch hatched out fine though, which is all that really mattered, even if it did drive me crazy!

Old 01-23-2006, 10:40 AM   #27
dragonflyreptiles
$50 grand, guess things have changed a lot since I wuit showing my Rotts 9 years ago, hmmmm maybe I need to get back onto that!

Old 01-23-2006, 11:09 AM   #28
groovygeckos
Quote:
Also, there aren't gecko shows, or gecko sports that require papers for participation, which is just another reason that registering a gecko does not concern breeders and owners, as it might in another species like a cat or dog.
Aint that a ? LOL

Old 01-23-2006, 01:13 PM   #29
TripleMoonsExotic
Ok everyone...

I just now caught this thread...Wish someone would have forwarded me the link. Let me see if I can reply to everyone...I apologize ahead of time if I miss anyone.

Quote:
I feel it was created out of the desire to generate income off of the industry...
I can assure you, that is not our intention in the slightest. To establish each individual Registered Breeder's current breeding stock, we are providing a free grace period (much like the ACR did) until January 2007. This provides breeders with a full year to register all of their stock at the LGR's cost. No matter how much we wish to make the LGR free to register a gecko, their is no way it's going to happen. Costs for certificates, web space and programming alone are costs that the LGR needs to be able to pay on its own.

Quote:
I could see it being more valuable/worthwhile with something like the ball python or bearded dragon market however.
I disagree in the fact that I think Leos are just as valuable/worthwhile as a BP or Beardie. However, as soon as the LGR is complete (new site and programming), we are making a sister site to the LGR for Beardies.

Quote:
And I think a few more ppl would join the LGR if there was a gecko showing where the best in show won 50 grand.
Down the road, we would love to sponsor a Leopard Gecko show at one of the larger US shows. The ACR did it. However, for that to work, I would need more supporters of the LGR and other individuals willing to shoulder some of the work. We also at this time couldn't do a 50 grand best of show obviously, but a few hundred bucks would be more plausible.

Quote:
Then the book would have to come out every year, all the new morphs being introduced ad each year when one would be created, there would be controversy.
Their is a book like you speak of for cornsnakes. The Cornsnake Morph Guide does comes out every year and is a great success. (http://www.cornguide.com/the%20guide.php) I wouldn't want to take on the responsibility of such a venture however.

Quote:
Heck, I suppose anyone could register one of their rescues as coming from Albey's stock (example) if they wanted to get a registration for it. Gecko bloodlines are too diluted (or should I say 'polluted') to accurately keep track of.
No, they necassarily couldn't. To match up hatchling with a breeder, the breeder needs to submit a pre-registration form guaranteeing that a particular hatchlings came from a particular crossing. This prevents an individual claiming that their gecko came from a particular breeder from a particular crossing. Of course, they can claim all they want...But if the gecko was registered with the LGR, it would not be linked to the original breeders stock unless it is verfied with the breeder.

Quote:
I can only say that I am not on the bandwagon to pay someone else to decide what I have.
The only restrictions we would put down is if an individual were trying to register a normal as a Stripe or SHTCTB (for example). We in no way shape or form are going to say "that Tangerine doesn't have enough Carrottail to be called a Carrottail." The purpose of having photos with the registrations (on Certs and Online) is to allow a buyer to judge for themselves the quality of a breeders stock.

Quote:
why would we even dare to create such a registry? In effect you are just creating more work for yourself (paperwork, ehh)
I believe a registry should be put in place to collect, maintain and provide information to every hobbiest. As far as additional work for a breeder, most if not all of the forms will be completely available online for submission. The only paperwork that should be hand filled out by a Breeder would be Transfer of Ownership (and that is simply as a guarantee that a particular hatchling came from a particular breeder).

Quote:
That was already established... see Herpportal
You know, I'm not knocking Herpportal...but I attempted to register with them as a breeder about 6 months ago and received no reply...Anyone else have a problem with this?

Quote:
Although I think the Leopard Gecko Registry is a GREAT idea, the unfortunate aspect is that there are aren't that many 'legitimate' LG breeders and a whole lot of hobbyists and rogue wannabe's that would not participate in this program.
We are not expecting 100% participation. That actually wouldn't be realistic. We don't even expect 50% participation for the first few years (though it would be nice). Everything takes time. The AKC I'm sure certainly wasn't in the beginning successful. Everything takes time, and we expect the bumps in the road! It's also our hope that the "hobbyists and rogues" see the LGR, see that the "legitimate" breeders are participating and want to be able to say "I'm with the LGR too."

Ok, I think I answered everything. I apologize if I've missed anything/anyone. Please continue with the discussion.

Old 01-23-2006, 01:41 PM   #30
TripleMoonsExotic
O, I wanted to add...

We are in the midst of a massive update. That's why their has been no updates done to the original LGR site. We are expecting to test out the new system (as some of you already know whom I have emailed with a request to help us test) by February 1st. We are also holding onto all of the Breeder Certs and information folders until the stamp we ordered arrives (it's a another way to guarantee the authenticity of a Cert). So if you submitted for Breeder registration and have not received your papers yet or are not listed on the LGR Breeder List, don't worry!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!