Biodome/scorpian/leo/ plus extras - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-23-2006, 08:39 PM   #11
StinaUIUC
i was wondering the same thing myself shannon.....there's no way this guy is 20 if this is real.....

Old 01-23-2006, 08:40 PM   #12
Mercedez
ive put my age that high so i would be taken serious unlike the other two forums that i get mocked on. i seriously want advice. please. i want this to work. it seems ok now. i dont understand why everyone thinks its not going to work. what is the difference in the acutaly world..
Also i come from an innercity school so maybe he doesnt have a great knowledge but i really want this to work . can someone please give me positive advice and stop telling me im an idiot.

Old 01-23-2006, 08:44 PM   #13
StinaUIUC
It WON'T work...there is NOTHING you can do to make it work. These animals are from from different parts of the world...they would NEVER meet in the real world....if they did some of them would promptly eat eachother. I'm surprised the boa or the iggy haven't already eaten the leos... or the newts...which can have toxins that could kill the animal that ate them... This WON'T work...plain and simple.

Old 01-23-2006, 08:47 PM   #14
Mercedez
you guys may be right but isnt that why animals are equiped with defence mechanisms such as the leos tail that falls off. the boa could take its tail but it will just grow another one. as for the other ones, wouldnt the toxins dissolve in the digestive juices..

Old 01-23-2006, 08:53 PM   #15
StinaUIUC
One...no defense mechanism can protect an animal from diseases and parasites it's species has never seen before. Two...they shouldn't HAVE to use their defense mechanisms in captivity...that is cruelty. Three...sure, leos can drop their tails......but it won't help if they're bit on the head....and it won't help if they get a respiratory infection from too high a humidity level...and it won't help if they're stressed into starving themselves by being kept with potentially predatory species. Four......no, the toxins won't dissolve....that's why they're potentially deadly.

Old 01-23-2006, 08:58 PM   #16
LadyGecko
This really isn't a joke??
Doesn't this qualify as animal abuse??
I have been keeping reptiles for over 10 years now and I can't get past shaking my head and wondering at the sheer bull headedness of some of the new keepers out there that have been posting on this forum and a few others that I frequent
Their refusual to listen to and act on advice that is freely give to help THEM and THEIR animals is beyond my comprehension
Why on earth would someone even bother to come to a forum if they already know it all?
I just don't get it- I have asked questions on this and many forums and have had people take time out of their life to sit down and answer my questions and their answers have helped me immeasurably
I know that is frustrating as hell to me to take the time and write out an answer to a question only to have someone completely blow off the advice that I have offered and that I unfortunately have learned through making my own mistakes-after all-isn't what we are trying to do here to save someone else the heartbreak of making the same mistakes over and over again?
People that offer advice here or anywhere else are not doing it just to waste their time-they are trying to help out with problems drawing from their own experiences (I can't imagine the combined years just on this forum alone) and trying to help others make sure that the animals in question are kept in the best health possible
I guess that it just that time of year-right after Christmas-This seems to happen every year-unfortunately

Sandy

Old 01-23-2006, 09:04 PM   #17
PaulSage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercedez
I just finished my 90 gallon rivertank habitat "biodome" It houses my pet iguana, two firebelly newts, 3 leo geckos, two green anoles, 1 king scorpian, and my red tailed boa. Im growing plants from my garden and hope to put some exotic plants like venus fly traps in there soon. The right side contains a small homemade waterfall made of pvc pipes and it dumps into 6-7 inches waterhole which will house my future painted turtles. I at first didnt think that this would work but all the animals seem to be getting along just fine this week. My earth science teacher told me that it will earn me some extra credit.( boy did i need it) im trying to get my dad to let me borrow his digital so stay tuned for some pics coming soon.
  • An adult iguana needs a much larger home than a 90 gallon aquarium.
  • An iguana needs a basking lamp which would over-heat / dry-out the newts.
  • Defense mechanisms weren't designed for co-habitants that an animal would normally encounter in the natural habitiat.
  • Green anoles can harbor parasites that could be transmitted to the leopard geckos.
  • Leopard geckos belong in a desert... not a river.
  • Painted turtles will bite/eat the newts eventually.
  • The red-tail boa may very well attempt to eat all of the lizards.
  • Garden plants, or any plants from outdoors could contain pesticides or herbicides toxic to any of the animals.
  • If they're not eating each other yet, it's probably because they're too stressed out to eat from being housed with the other species.

Old 01-23-2006, 09:04 PM   #18
g&mgeckos
Quote:
you guys may be right but isnt that why animals are equiped with defence mechanisms such as the leos tail that falls off. the boa could take its tail but it will just grow another one. as for the other ones, wouldnt the toxins dissolve in the digestive juices..
Seriously Mike if you truely want help and not be treated like an idoit then think before posting.

1.) There is no reason to fake your age. We have members here that make it known they are young. There are three I can think of right off the top that are under 16. All are treated with respect by me and others here.
2.) When a leo loses its tail it is losing all the resources it has stored up. This is one the things that help it through hard times. It is VERY stressful to lose a tail. Which could lead to death.
3.) Leopard Geckos are an arid species the humdity level in that tank is enough to kill the gecko through bacteria infections. Which also will cause stress and possible death.
4.) I am not sure what the scropion species is you have but in the wild scropions are on the leo's diet.
5.) I don't think the toxins would be dissolved by the digestive juices before the toxins cause harm to the animals. Just think of it like this a small toad can kill a large dog at very least make it sick.
6.) WHY? You care for the animals you have spent your money on right? Then why risk them with careless practices.

Old 01-23-2006, 09:14 PM   #19
StinaUIUC
These are not careless practices...these are HARMFUL practices... Careless practices could potentially cause harme.......these practices will inevitably cause harm. These animals simply can NOT all survive together. It is IMPOSSIBLE. And yes, I believe this would qualify as animal cruelty.

Old 01-23-2006, 09:14 PM   #20
KatieDB
[quote=Mercedez]ive put my age that high so i would be taken serious unlike the other two forums that i get mocked on.[quote]

No one here is judged negatively because of their age. Your knowledge of the animals in your care and your willingness to listen to the advice you ask for is what we judge you on.

No one will want to help you if you refuse to listen to experienced owners and breeders

Quote:
im not trying to be rude its just that i wasted alot of my allounce on these animals.
thanks
If an animal is a waste of money to you, don't buy it. The fact that you said that and at the same time try to tell the posters here that they dont know as much about the animals they love and care for as some crappy earth science teacher disturbs me.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!