New Hognose owner with questions - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-20-2018, 05:55 PM   #1
LapisRazuri
New Hognose owner with questions

Hello I am new to owning a hognose snake, much less a reptile. I did do research before adopting my 2 month old beauty, I bought everything I read I needed (and more) but after all my preparation upon getting her I realized there were more questions that I had that was not answered by my initial and subsequent research...

1) When is it ok for me to handle her? I assume I have to wait so she can acclimate to her new environment like most pets, and I have seen at least one source/person that said 5-7 days.

2) I read babies should be fed every 3-4 days, I had gotten her on fathers day and the breeder said she had eaten 3 days before that. If I have to wait 5-7 days to handle her should I not feed her until those 5-7 days are over?

3) How do people really feel about reptilinks? Based on all my searching most people seem split some are for it and some are against it...has anyone here fed their reptiles reptilinks?

4) Multivitamin supplements, I have read through very few sources that recommend multivitamin supplements, most sources say snakes get their vitamin through their prey and do not need additional supplement...what is the general take on this?

5) UVB lighting, is it bad is it good? I have read in a single place where someone said they use it because its natural for them to receive uv rays in the wild and that this increases their metabolism, while in other places I've read they get all the vitamin d they need from the bones of their prey...

Lastly, I'm just really worried about feeding her right now, shes gone past the 3-4 day feeding time, but I also didn't want to stress her out, how long can a baby go without food?