Georgia state law issues - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > USA State Specific Issues

Notices

USA State Specific Issues Issues that are specific to a particular state, or subregion within a state, should be appended to the existing relevant thread. NEW threads cannot be created in this forum.

Old 01-17-2004, 07:45 AM   #11
dvf1973
As far as i know

its been attempted a few times, the DNR simply states they don't have the financial resources to pursue the claim, funny thing is, if I am correct they dont make laws, they enforce them, if anyone wants to set up a formal petition , we could start sending it around, the trick is it has to be on a specific snake, i.e. cornsnake.I do think it needs to be clear that its for c.b. only , and does not allow the catching of wild snakes as thats not the goal here. From that step it could be branched out. I think it would be benificial to all breeders, and stores country wide to push for this as it could add the 10th largest populated state to their possible buyers, we could see if Rick would/could set up a sign in or something , and it could be a blanket petition, they would be handwritten, but signatures none the less?

Old 01-17-2004, 12:46 PM   #12
JohnHarper
Thumbs down The law does not help

People kill harmless snakes in Ga every year. Its supposed to be illegal to kill any native non venomous snake. I propose a law that would allow native non venomous snakes but only captive bred also only allowing a certain number to be taken each time a person gos herping collects them. A kind of fishing/hunting license system like California would help. I wrote to the governor of Ga about this and he told me to find a sponsor in my county. I don't know of any one that would sponsor anything about snakes except maybe the pet stores in GA.

JOHN

Old 01-18-2004, 04:55 PM   #13
MystycalJywyl
Question Rumor??? About legalizing the keeping of native GA snakes (Non- Venemous)

I have heard that the DNR is working at changing the laws against keeping native non venemous snakes in Ga. as pets. (Such as Corns, Black rats and Eastern Kingsnakes) It would be a big help if someone could give me feedback on this. Is it just a rumor or is there some truth in there? If anyone knows I'd like to hear your input! Thanks!
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2004, 02:22 PM   #14
tdeppen
but how could we change it

the law has been in for a long time now, and i agree that it does nothing to help the native snake, but how could we change it? i personally know alot of people who have corn snakes, yellow rats, and chain kings, but dnr doesnt have any way to controll it, so why is it in effect? the only way that they can catch any one is if the animal is in a pet store and most of the time dnr inspectors dont know what the hell they are looking at all they look at is if the water bowls are clean. i live in savannah, ga and people go right across the river and they can buy any thing that they want in south carlina witch really hurts the small business' here who cant sell a 40 corn snake. so my question is how do you want to change the law? ill help yall as much as i can to do so.
thaddaus deppen
t_deppen@yahoo.com

Old 01-19-2004, 06:07 PM   #15
Steph Scranton
Acutally it's not DNR that inspect the pet stores, it's the department of Ag. And no, they don't know what they are looking for.

I work in a pet store and I can't tell you how many times, people get mad at ME, when I tell them that it is illegal to keep the cornsnake/box turtle/whatever non-venomous snake they found in their backyard. I have had people get defensive and yell at me because I tell them that the snake they picked up in birmingham is illegal here in GA. Like it's my fault, the law exists.

Anyway, if you want to change the law, start with the Georgia Herp Society here in Atlanta. Dr. Mark Patterson is the president and I know he was working with DNR at one point to get a bill passed/witten similiar to the one you were talking about. He can be contacted at the Lanier Natural History Museam in Buford, GA. He keeps up on all the laws and workings to get things changed. He can tell you who you need to contact and what you need to do to get the ball rolling.

Old 01-19-2004, 06:23 PM   #16
Darin Chappell
I live in Missouri, but anything I could do to help that law be changed/rescinded, I would be willing!

My mother-in-law lives in Savannah, and we go see her each year. After about twenty minutes, or so, I'm done, so I go play golf on Wilmington Island. I would love to be able to do a little legal herping there too, and I would certainly be willing to pay for a temp license to do so!

Let me know, if there is any help needed on this!

Old 01-21-2004, 08:11 PM   #17
tdeppen
need help changeing laws in ga

as you may or may not know, in ga we can not have native snake that are not hot. so we need help in changeing the laws. any help will be great.
please contact john at electricbluescat@earthlink.net for more info.

Old 01-21-2004, 11:58 PM   #18
JohnHarper
its no rumor

dnr has tried to change that for years legilature has not seen it as a priority. i have some info from the dnr on what has been tried to be changed and I can email it to you if you would like.
it talks about the last time they met.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NorthW...olgicalSociety

Old 01-22-2004, 01:07 AM   #19
MystycalJywyl
Thanks, I have heard from many people that DNR was "in Progress" modifying this but never from a reliable source.
If you have any info on where I can find the laws in Ga. about keeping exotic cats and other exotic Mammals could you please let me know?

Thanks for your time,
Mystycal Jywyl
Attached Images

Old 01-22-2004, 03:59 AM   #20
BrianB
You probably want the "Laws, Legislative Issues and Alerts" section. This may be moved to one of the topics over there when the mods notice it. While this is definately the highest-visibility forum on the site, the thread is off topic for the BOI.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!