breeding blue tongues - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Skinks & Tegus Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-24-2004, 02:05 PM   #1
dragontears
breeding blue tongues

I have 3 adult blue tongue skinks housed together all year around in a 75 gallon custom built tank. They have been together for about 4 years and suddenly last year they decided to mate. The female took quite a beating, but survived to deliver 9 healthy, happy babies. The male has just started courting her again and I'd like to see her produce more babies, but without as much damage as last year. Any suggestions as to how I can minimize wounds, but not intefere so much as to prevent mating?

Thanks

Old 01-10-2005, 10:20 PM   #2
serpwr96
I have read numerous times that you should house your blue tongues separately, because of the injuries that can occur during breeding. The male will nip the female during breeding and can inflict serious wounds. the female after breeding, can sometimes attack the male. Make sure you clean any cuts that may have been inflicted on your animals. In the past I have put the male/female together only under supervision and when they were finished during their thing, separated them. A few days later I placed them together again. Just make sure that their enclosure remains very clean to reduce the risk of infections from any open cuts they may have. good luck. have any for sale ? -bill

Old 01-10-2005, 11:26 PM   #3
dragontears
I'm just getting finished with a new set-up that will separate all of my blue tongues. I'm pretty sure my female is pregnant now, I just have to wait until she gives birth...probably next month is my guess and then I will post the babies.

Old 01-10-2005, 11:30 PM   #4
Karen Hulvey
Do you cool your BTSs down before you breed them?

Old 01-10-2005, 11:44 PM   #5
dragontears
no I hadn't...at least not intentionally. I guess the weather gets colder outside and my house is colder so their tank may be a little colder. Also, they have access to the sunlight coming in through the glass door so the light cycle outside might have had something to do with it. I really didn't plan for it this (or last) year. I think in the future, I will cool them down if I wanted to breed again.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!