Captive Care - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-11-2007, 09:01 PM   #1
norcal
Captive Care

Does anyone know if there are any books on captive care of rattlesnakes? I have most of the books out there on rattlesnakes that I know of, but most just cover the biology & their lives in the wild. There have been some general articles written in "Reptiles" magazine & some of the other publishcations of the past. However, I was wondering if there is a book out there yet on specificly the captive care of rattlesnakes. I would like to what know "the text book" way of caring for rattlers are. Everyone I know keeps them differently. I have googled & checked many sites that deal with rattlers, yet no guide to caring for them, have I found.
all imput appreciated

Old 09-11-2007, 09:16 PM   #2
Tim Cole
Two books.

"Venomous Snakes, Snakes in the Terrarium" by Ludwig Trutnau

&

"VENOMOUS SNAKES IN CAPTIVITY, Safety and Husbandry" by B.W.Smith

Old 09-12-2007, 11:04 AM   #3
norcal
Thanks Tim, I looked on Amazon afterwards & found some other books too. One by my friend Dick Bartlett;
Vipers: A Guide for the Advanced Hobbyist (Complete Pet Owner's Manual)"
R.D. Bartlett

& here is another
Rattlesnakes: Their Natural History & Care in Captivity"
Jerry G. Walls

I actually converse with B.W. Smith sometimes on his Indigo forever dot com site. I will have to see if I can get an autographed copy from him .
Right now I am out of work because I just had surgery, so $$$ are tight. I will have to wait to buy the other books Unless I want to tick off my wife

BTW Tim, The atrox pair I have are the ones Brett got from you a few years ago. They are Beauts!

Old 09-12-2007, 04:09 PM   #4
Keith Northrop
Talking Jerry I got several in stock.

Not my favorite Pub...........T.F.H....But collectable. $12 shipped
Attached Images

Old 09-12-2007, 05:48 PM   #5
Tim Cole
DON"T

bother with the Jerry Walls book. Not worth the paper it's printed on and VERY inaccurate. Didn't mean to make you lose a sale Keith.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:06 PM   #6
Keith Northrop
Talking Being out of print......

will no doubt make it a collectable one day.....Are you saying Tim that you
don't have a copy??????? I would make a bet that book is on your self somewhere.....HaHa

Old 09-13-2007, 12:00 AM   #7
Tim Cole
I have

a copy. After reading it, I was tempted to start a fire with it! He makes outrageous claims with no scientific data. Of course I credit him with the downfall of TFH Books.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:43 AM   #8
norcal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Cole
a copy. After reading it, I was tempted to start a fire with it! He makes outrageous claims with no scientific data. Of course I credit him with the downfall of TFH Books.
I have a few "TFH" books & most of them have snakes misidentified along with wrong information. The Indigo, Racer book by Mara, has alot of wrong info. Karl Switak has some pics in the book & I asked him one day about the book. He said, he just sold them the right to use the pics & had nothing to do with what is written. Another thing about TFH is that they seem to write the book as though it is for people with a 6th grade reading comprehension.

However, I do buy them sometimes because the out of pocket expence isn't even noticed

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!