Starting A Business - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-06-2003, 10:44 PM   #1
leogex
Wink Starting A Business

So, I was just wondering how much of a profit some of you big time gecko breeders make every year. I am thinking of starting a small business of my own and I was wondering if gecko breeding is profitable in any way. All insite and info that you may have is greatly needed.

Thanks
Travis

Old 01-07-2003, 03:54 PM   #2
reptile16hunter
the big time breeders have like 1000 geckos
i was talking to golden gecko at a show once and at that time he said he had ruffly around 900 leopards
and he does crestys fatys and other ocasianal stuff

but as i was told i will tell you if you are in for a profit get out n get out now cause it takes a long time to make a dime
because u need housing and food and supplys for each gecko

trust me its extreammly hard to get any thing going
things die and its nutz unless you have a decent amout to start up with go slowly and learn because other wise you wont take off ever

Old 01-07-2003, 04:17 PM   #3
Uffern
I agrre entirely with what is said above. Don't expect to break even for a couple of years, and that is if you do things right. I don't know first hand, but I would say if you are going to breed lizards, don't breed leo gex. Like Columbian Tegus, when the eggs hatch, there is no money in them. If I were you, I would get a regular job, and try breeding one male to one female, just once. See how that goes. Take the bst care you can of them. Make them impressively healthy. Slowly build a name for yourself. Get a steady, local, customer base, comprised of pet stores and individuals.

Last year, I was spending close to $200 a week just on 1/4" crickets (I breed bearded dragons). If all goes as planned (which it never does), I will be getting about 50,000 1/4" crix a week later this year.

Bottom line, for a while, you will lose money, and to breed on any sclae other than very small, it is a full time job.

Old 01-07-2003, 05:03 PM   #4
reptile16hunter
first hand exp

i learned first hand trust me i know exactly what you are thinking
but
guess what i didnt listen and i payed the price ultamatly considering my stuff that i breed didnt give fertal for 8 clutches
and then my chameleons died when the eather changed and they didnt get enough heat

and in a dition i have no money to even invest in a project because of my earge to be a kid and play in the go carts
and i gave the guy my wallet and a large tip

so i have no money to buy more stuff yet on the bright side i learned a valuable lesson

and the lesson is
"the people here may critisize you greatly but they are doing it cause they care and they are right almost all of them and if you dont listen you will lose money and respect"

Old 01-07-2003, 05:42 PM   #5
leogex
Wink Thanks

Thanks, you guys. I really appriciate your insite into the matter. I wasn't planning to have an extremely large business, it's more of a hobby anyway. I own about 25 leos at the moment all of which are healthy, fat, and flawless. I've heard breeding and selling animals for profit is a tough way to make money. I myself buy 3000 crickets and 3000 mealworms almost bi-weekly not to mention the prices of cage setups and heating. I really enjoy my leos and I like working with them. If I were to start selling leos, it would just be a small scale from home deal. I don't want to end up in debt either. Thanks for your comments and don't worry I won't quit my day job. LOL

Thanks
Travis Taylor

Old 01-08-2003, 02:02 AM   #6
Rakell G
human calculator

3000 crix and 3000 mealies 2x a week?!?!?! for 25 leos?!?!

uhm........ are you eating them too by chance? lol.

Old 01-08-2003, 06:28 PM   #7
reptile16hunter
no way thats a good feding

no way thats a good feeding for 25 leos
cause they eat like there is no to marra
and if he is gana start breeding they will need the extra fat

Old 01-08-2003, 06:42 PM   #8
leogex
Talking Feeding

Sure it sounds like quite a bit of crickets and mealies but these geckos can take down a dozen mealworms and some more crickets before they stop. Like mentioned before the breeding season is starting up soon and I want my females as fat as possible. They need the food for egg developement.

What can I say? I guess I'm just a generous guy. (LOL)

Travis

Old 01-08-2003, 07:55 PM   #9
reptile16hunter
u got a bit a mony too

in order to afford all that as a hobby you probly got a chunk a change of desent size to begin wit
have fun with your geckos
and if any one runs into an adoption for crestys or pictus or alike please let me know

Old 01-08-2003, 08:16 PM   #10
leogex
Talking OK

I'll let you know if I get any offers on either species. I always have liked cresteds too but never got to deep into them. I'll keep you posted if anything comes up. Thanks for all of your info.

Travis

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!