Ohio Call to Action - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 01-09-2011, 02:24 PM   #11
Gloryhound
Sorry for multiple posts on this, but I keep digging up info and trying to get it out as quickly as I can. My last post gave me a new direction that we can send people to fight this.

With the rule of the Wild Animal Ban being submitted to JCARR (Joint Committee on Agency Rule Review) a new group of people have the chance to stop the ODNR (Ohio Department of Natural Resources). These individuals though are more interested in the legality of the law rather than a simple majority vote. They need to be reminded that Section 1531.02 clearly states the ODNR does not hold jurisdiction over animals “not legally confined or held by private ownership legally acquired”. This makes the filing by the ODNR a violation of the Ohio Revised Code and it should not be considered further as almost all of the animals listed in the restriction are animals not native to Ohio that are legally confined and/or held by legally acquired private ownership. That means the ODNR can not tell the owners of these legally acquired animals that they are not allowed to sell them or breed them due to limited jurisdiction.
This link takes you to a page that has all the committee members listed with links to their pages that include contact info: https://www.jcarr.state.oh.us/index....d=48&Itemid=54

Old 01-09-2011, 03:12 PM   #12
EricWI
There has been a Kingsnake blog posting about this with further contact instructions/details:

Quote:
Letters should be mailed to:

Governor John Kasich
Governor's Office
Riffe Center, 30th Floor
77 South High Street
Columbus, OH 43215-6108

You can also call and fax as well at these numbers:

Phone: (614) 466-3555
Fax: (614) 466-9354

If this draconic ban becomes permanent, it will cause major issues nationwide as we continue to try to fight to keep our reptiles. One state enacting such a ban will only help bolster national legislation. Ohio residents, please act now.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:57 PM   #13
star2nv
Am I to understand. There are no monitors on the list?

Old 01-09-2011, 04:49 PM   #14
Gloryhound
Quote:
Originally Posted by star2nv View Post
Am I to understand. There are no monitors on the list?
It appears that no monitors are currently on the list, but does that really make a difference? No, I don't have any of the animals on the list, but I am drawing my line in the sand here.

1. If they get this it sets the standard for going after anything.

2. When they do go after something I have I want my friends with large constrictors, venomous snakes, big cats, or what have you to be their and support me.

3. It is not right to punish responsible people for the actions of irresponsible or to protect another group from having to put up a fight.

4. If this goes through the ODNR gains tremendous power in hand picking future animals to ban.

I'm not about to just because no gun is pointed at me yet!

Old 01-09-2011, 06:50 PM   #15
star2nv
Gloryhound I agree with completely. I was just under the impression that large monitors was going to be on this list.odnr already has to much power as it is.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:43 PM   #16
scarnicom
So your telling me I am legally not aloud to keep my Burmese python? Get outta here, they have crossed the line and then some! Total B.S. I have had Burms as long as I can remember, my father and I kept them since I was 6, now on my own I have to give it up? Where do emails and written letters need to be addressed to please? Whoops, got the letter address, (Thanks Eric) !

Old 01-11-2011, 09:24 AM   #17
Gloryhound
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarnicom View Post
So your telling me I am legally not aloud to keep my Burmese python? Get outta here, they have crossed the line and then some! Total B.S. I have had Burms as long as I can remember, my father and I kept them since I was 6, now on my own I have to give it up? Where do emails and written letters need to be addressed to please? Whoops, got the letter address, (Thanks Eric) !
Eric,
I'm not trying to down play the severity of this issue in the least, but just straitening up the facts.

Yes you can legally keep the burms you currently have, but you can not breed them, sell them, or technically transport them. Also they are not allowed to have interaction with the public. The ones you have will all be required to be micro chipped and registered with the ODNR by May 1, 2011. Also the ODNR has the right to come into where ever you are keeping your burms and inspect the caging and make sure it is up to their safety standards and the burms are not being neglected.

Pretty much most of this is unexceptable. If the new Governor would engage the exotic animal owners, he would see the majority of us are already responsible owners. Also he would know that the majority of us already promote the use of secure caging. I'm sure if public safety was an issue we could come to mutually benificial rules, that would help protect the public and allow us to continue to propigate these animals in captivity for future generations to enjoy.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:04 PM   #18
EricWI
Please call the Governor's Office of Constituent Affairs immediately. We cannot afford to wait. The number to call is (614) 644-4357. You may get an answering machine; if so, leave a detailed message outlining your concerns and providing your name and phone number for a return call. If you get to speak to a real person, write down his/her name for future reference. As always, be polite but firm. Even if you called the number in our previous email of Jan. 7, you need to call this new number now.

Please call ODNR Director David Mustine immediately. We cannot afford to wait. The number to call is (614) 265-6879. You may get an answering machine; if so, leave a detailed message outlining your concerns and providing your name and phone number for a return call. If you get to speak to a real person, write down his/her name for future reference. As always, be polite but firm. Once you've called, follow up with an email to Director Mustine at david.mustine@dnr.state.oh.us

We knew that outgoing Governor Strickland promised HSUS he would ban exotic animals in Ohio. He made his parting shot at us on January 6 when he signed his "emergency executive order" to accomplish that. The ODNR followed up the very next day by filing an "emergency rule" that expands even farther on the executive order by adding more animals to the "banned" list. Although the order and rule are only good for 90 days, a lot of damage can be done to our industry and our pocketbooks during those 90 days. It's time to go to work -- right now. We must get this overturned in order to protect our industry. The new ODNR Director could file this as a permanent rule, in which case we will need members to testify at the ODNR public hearing and, if necessary, at the subsequent JCARR hearing; but we can prevent this if we can persuade Governor Kasich to revoke the emergency order and to instruct Director Mustine to withdraw the emergency rule.

Here, very briefly, are the points you need to address:

1. This is a power grab by the ODNR to seize control of, and ultimately shut down, Ohio's exotic animal industry.

2. Ohio Revised Code Section 1531.02 clearly shows the ODNR does not have statutory authority over exotic animals. It states: "The ownership of and the title to all wild animals in this state, not legally confined or held by private ownership legally acquired, is in the state, which holds such title in trust for the benefit of all the people..." Governor Strickland chose to leave out the part about animals that are legally acquired, confined and held by private ownership. The ODNR has no authority over non-native/exotic animals, so the emergency rule is flawed and will most likely be overturned if and when a permanent rule is filed with JCARR (Joint Committee on Agency Rule Review). Governor Strickland lied, and the former ODNR administration was willing to participate in this Governor-ordered power grab.

3. The order exempts AZA- and Global Federation of Animal Sanctuaries- accredited facilities. Both are private corporations with financial links to HSUS. The emergency order is unconstitutional and creates a monopoly for those two corporations, while shutting down the other USDA- and ODNR-licensed facilities that have these types of animals; that includes the drive-through animal parks, private zoos, and licensed breeders/dealers/exhibitors throughout Ohio. In Governor Strickland's own words last fall, the exotic animal industry is a 12.5 billion dollar/yr industry in Ohio. His emergency order will shut down a large part of that 12.5 billion dollar industry. Ohio cannot afford more job loss.

4. There is no exotic animal emergency in Ohio. Licensed animal owners, breeders and exhibitors have safely and securely kept these animals for many, many years and are subject to regular, unannounced government inspections to ensure that the public and the animals are not at risk. This emergency order is fueled by animal rights extremism and scaremongering, and it is a direct attack on commerce and private enterprise in Ohio. This order was not requested by a government agency (the ODNR) as Governor Strickland indicates in paragraph 5 of the emergency order; it was agreed to by HSUS, Ohio Farm Bureau, and the Governor himself.

5. Exotic animal owners throughout Ohio rallied to vote Ted Strickland out of office, due to his "back-door deal" with HSUS. We voted you in, Governor Kasich, convinced that you would not honor that back-door deal. We now appeal to you to immediately revoke this emergency executive order which will cripple the exotic animal industry in Ohio, and to instruct ODNR Director Mustine to withdraw the ODNR's emergency rule #1501:31-19-05.

Action required:

1. Call Governor John Kasich at (614) 644-4357 with the above information. Put it in your own words, tailor it to your operation, and do it now. Don't wait!

2. Call Director David Mustine at (614) 265-6879 with the above information. Put it in your own words, tailor it to your operation, and do it now. Don't wait!

3. Follow up with an email to Director Mustine at david.mustine@dnr.state.oh.us

Old 01-11-2011, 07:07 PM   #19
harleydan1956
besides the new govenor

let's say.... contacting rubbermaid, sterilte, dog food companies, .. tell them how many tubs and pounds of food you purchase to raise your snakes, rats and mice and how detrimental it will be to their business!
I have no snakes on the list either, but it is time to draw a line and stop the blackmail. And folks, make no mistake.. they get their foot in the door, next is cornsnakes, ball pythons, and 4 legged reptiles. Everyone should be a member of USArk and let them help us!

Old 01-11-2011, 07:38 PM   #20
scarnicom
Called and left my level headed message today. Please all do the same!!!

Daniel, do you have a link to the USArk site to become a member please.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!