FaunaAuction.com?? - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

View Poll Results: Is setting up a FaunaAuction.com worthwhile?
YES! I will pay for a quality site! 40 83.33%
NO! There are enough auctions out there already. 8 16.67%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 10:23 AM   #41
Rob Hill/Geckos Anonymous
I'm definitely all for a Fauna Auction addition. As a seller, $10/year and a flat $1/item fee is perfectly acceptable to me. I do have some questions, though...

1. After you pay your $10 membership fee, and you place up an item for $1, when the auction is over and the item is sold, are you still going to be charged a percentage of the sale price, or will it be only that $1 listing fee? There is just something that bothers me a bit about paying to list an item, then paying again for the listing when it sells. I know $1 isn't much at all, but something about that just doesn't sit well for some reason. To me, it's like buying a sandwich for $5, but only paying $1 up front, and the rest when your done, it just doesn't make sense to me, and if I am confused or this isn't even anywhere near what you're planning, Rich, then ignore me.

2. My next thing is deadbeat buyers. It's been stated here already, but a membership fee for buyers to bid would probably help curb SOME of this behavior, but for those that aren't bothered by it, what about a warning system like the BOI? You back out of a sale, you get 5 warning points, or something like that. The same should of course be true for sellers who sell items outside of auction or don't go through with their deals, etc. So many points, and BAM you're gone. Also, I don't know how feasible this would be(probably not at all), but what about both buyers and sellers to have a profile link that includes any and all threads about them on the BOI?

3. The kinds of items being bid on, would it be reptiles only(that includes supplies and what not), or would there be also "flea market" auctions for other random items?

Anyway, I would still gladly pay the $10/year as well as listing fees to be a member of the auction site.

Old 05-07-2003, 10:31 AM   #42
TheVipersHouse
well rob i can possibly answer that without charging the bidder a membership fee as well that leaves room for deadbeat bidders , and heres why

1.. even with warnings they are able to do it repeatedly until kicked off
2.whats to stop them (as we seen many times here from postings already ) from manking a new user name and falsifing info and continue doing it again ..???? see without being charged a membership fee they really risk nuthing at all but if they have to pay they wont risk losing money or it will deture them from even joining up .... so u see why i am strongly for sellers and bidders to have a membership fee .. and the question is still there about the costs im not looking to losing money everytime i post something that doesnt sell i would rather pay a % of the final sale least im not losing anything if it dont sell ..... but i wont pay 2 times for it now way never

Old 05-07-2003, 11:02 AM   #43
Shawn,

I was not saying to NOT charge buyers a membership fee. I am all for that, but for some people, $10 is probably not as much of a deterrant to keep from playing games with sellers. I meant adding the warning system in addition to the membership fee.

Old 05-07-2003, 12:21 PM   #44
WebSlave
First off, I favor the listing fee of $1 OVER the percentage on the sale simply because I personally know of people whom have run auctions that the sellers using every trick in the book to dodge that fee was their biggest headache. Many would say the item never sold and they were withdrawing it from the market, when in fact it did, when a buyer saw the auction and contacted them outside of the auction.

So there would be a listing fee but NO percentage taken on the sale. If I find that this is a problem, of course I can change that to what works best for everyone. But to be realistic, paying $1 to list something for sale should not be that heavy of a burden.

The auction software is not free for me, and neither is my time.

If I am going to do this, it needs to pay it's way and be as headache free as possible.

It is extremely doubtful that any auction board I have seen can easily be linked to the BOI, which is unfortunate. I could possibly get my programmer to do something like this, but I expect that would be VERY expensive, since it would be a completely custom programming job. I honestly don't have that kind of money to throw into something that may be used only as infrequently as some of the other stuff I have set up here. Maybe if the auction board is used and generates some money, then I can funnel that back into something better.

Any auction board I choose will have a feedback system. Some of them had the capability for the seller to ban a bidder from even bidding on their auction. But I think the feedback system will suffice. Basically it would be a "three strikes, and you're out!" kind of system. Someone paying $10 to register each time would get tired of that in a hurry.

And no, I have no plans to turn the classifieds here into a fee-based service. But I do foresee that possibly the auction board might replace that entirely if it works well enough. Too many unknowns at this point, since just about everything depends on you guys.

This will probably be another of those "horse, water, drink" scenarios.

Old 05-07-2003, 12:40 PM   #45
Rich,

thanks for clarifying the listing fee for me. It was just something I hadn't understood fully. $1 per listing is DEFINITELY NOT much of a burden, and I would be more than happy to get away with only paying a buck each time I put up an item for auction(outside of the $10 membership fee of course, which is also about as minimal as it gets).

I have been to the other auction sites listed, and my biggest concern there is simply lack of participation. ReptiBid is supposed to be one of the largest ones, right? And last time I looked at it(a few weeks back honestly), there were only 4 items up for bid, with noone making any bids that I saw. I don't want to waste my time and have an animal tied up for a few days on a site with that kind of traffic/interest when I could have put it here or on kingsnake.

I think with the kind of traffic that this site is already getting, an auction that is part of Fauna would work well. Not trying to give out ideas, but I'm sure if Jeff B. decided to add an auction, it would work quite well indeed. I have a feeling the same would be true here(what exactly ARE the traffic numbers here Rich?).

Anyway, bottom line is that I am all for a Fauna Auction site, and I will be one of the first in line for a membership(even though I don't have much for sale now).

Old 05-07-2003, 01:14 PM   #46
WebSlave
Bear in mind that the auction will not be integrated with this message board. It will be on it's own separate domain, but certainly linked to this one.

I have been in contact with one of the auction board developers to see how well his product will fit my needs.

Old 05-07-2003, 01:54 PM   #47
Slither
Quote:
Originally posted by TheVipersHouse
well the reason ebay is so sucessful is the fact they handle everything so in fact u really cant compare ebay to much with a reptile auction cause we will be dealing with 1 specific item herps , not 1 mill different items like my old gramas stockings cause they were made back in the civil war .... lmao the fact they handled everything and anything is the reason they became so sucessful not the fact of their rules cause if they were limited to 3 items that could be listed and still charged the prices they do forget it they wouldnt have lasted
My point about eBay was that the whole discussion here is about the rules to deal with non-paying bidders and sellers. eBay has a very good system in place for this. It has nothing to do with what they sell.

Old 05-07-2003, 04:08 PM   #48
Wormman
I wouldn't mind. I advertise our auction here, and wouldn't mind. Just don't sell bugs! :0) We really just created ours as a free service. We were told by Reptiles Mag that we couldn't advertise our classifieds there anymore because they have gone online. I think you should do it. I am here more than on my own anyway. Ain't nothin goin on but the rent there! (That was corny!)
Ken Chiarella
Wormman.com

Old 05-07-2003, 04:22 PM   #49
WebSlave
Thanks Ken! I really AM worried about stepping on people's toes with this. Unfortunately, the only auction board I have seen that I really like, even with some deficiencies, is the one used by ReptiBid. So if I tromp on his toes, I'll likely lose several banner ads over it. Which might happen anyway, no matter which system I would use if I do ANY auction board..

So doing an auction here will have costs involved beyond the price, time and labor.

And no, I'm not going to be selling bugs, but I would likely have a section on the auction for all feed items.

Old 05-07-2003, 05:38 PM   #50
Wormman
Rich,
I like their format also. I will still advertise with you. I may drop the auction, but I will add the advertising dollars to my main business. You are a good man, and provide a great service. Do what needs to be done and you will be rewarded! I'm not leaving and I am sure many others won't. The increase with the auction may even generate more business. Thanks again.
Ken Chiarella
Wormman.com

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread