A ban-free environment - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

View Poll Results: Should I take the high road and not ban anyone?
Yes, but don't throw away the keys quite yet. 13 22.41%
No, too much chance of abuse here. 21 36.21%
You're the boss, do what you want. 24 41.38%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-11-2003, 11:16 PM   #11
WebSlave
I'm thinking of a "go to your room, and don't come out till I say so" kind of a ban. Lower the total points necessary for that to kick in, say maybe 10 points, yet limit the banning to 10 to 30 days. Kind of a cooling off period. Of course, I am never going to remember to check up on someone temporarily banned, so unless they remind me about it they will be banned until I have a reason to think about them again.

But I don't know, maybe I'm just making more work for myself.

The warning system now in place was to be able to give someone fair warning that what they are doing is not acceptable here. But perhaps I should reevaluate the weighting of the infractions. Make the ones more indicative of premeditated abuse more to the level of a "three strikes and you are out" system.

I had hoped the warning points would help guide people to do two things here:

(1) Establish credibility by stating your identification and keep things on an even keel.

(2) Keep the discussions at least appearing that we have adults participating in the forums rather than kids huffing and strutting in the schoolyard.

Perhaps another method is needed to meet these goals.

Or I could just simplify it even further and use the technique that another webmaster uses on his own site: "Anyone can be banned at any time, for whatever reason I may think of at the time that fits the situation."

As for the Adam Block/Ritchie Luna/ Jason Sweigart "love triangle" I think that all three of you better start ignoring each other. Pronto.

Old 11-12-2003, 02:17 AM   #12
JungleHabitats
Question rich

i like the cooling off period idea

would there be a way to do something like this ?

10 points - 10 day ban from posting 1st offense(read only)
20 points - 20 day ban from posting 2nd offense(read only)
30 points - 30 day ban from posting 3rd offense(site ban)
40 points - banned indefinately by webslave (total ban)

gave it set up with a "3 strikes " your out rules but at the same time you would have the grace period for them to think about getting out of hand next time.

but if it could be done this was to make it easy on you not to forget about there bans have it set so that you can just check a box and that it would possibly be on a timer like you tell it 10 days ,20 days etc?
i dont know i just woke up from a short over needed rest lol so if this is garbage talk im sorry lol

Old 11-12-2003, 03:19 AM   #13
Adam Block
Alan

Quote:
10 points - 10 day ban from posting 1st offense(read only)
20 points - 20 day ban from posting 2nd offense(read only)
30 points - 30 day ban from posting 3rd offense(site ban)
40 points - banned indefinately by webslave (total ban)
Excellent idea! Very good, you would need somebody to evenly enforce the TOS though. Someobdy who you feel would be fair. Or put it up to a vote.

In the poll I said not to ban anybody however I think the above is a great idea. With the points and making public what they did effectivly you're not banning anybody they're banning themselves.

The only thing I can't stress enough is to find somebody fair to issue points. Like maybe my wife.

Old 11-12-2003, 03:23 AM   #14
JungleHabitats
Arrow voting problem

IMO then you would have people casting votes just becasue they dont like someone and IMO that would be worse then just a out right ban w/o explanation.

Old 11-12-2003, 03:36 AM   #15
Adam Block
Sorry I didn't say what I thought, this is why I'm always looking like a fool on the BOI. I never come of well with written word, not sure why but what I mean and what I type don't come of the same.

I was meaning put the person in charge of giving points up to a vote.

The trouble with the point system is that Rich wants a little bit of a life and he can't just run around looking for volations. He needs somebody who uses fauna a lot to step up and say they're willing (I think).

Is that what I said my last post or not?

Old 11-12-2003, 10:49 AM   #16
Darin Chappell
The problem is that if you do not ban the ones who so desperately need it, the rest of us have to suffer through their idiocies all the time. That may not be a big enough problem to justify the demigod sensation you are getting by banning people, but it is something to consider.

I realize one can choose to use the ignore button, but try doing that sometime in a heated discussion on the BOI wherein someone has posted a dozen times over a period of twenty minutes in a heated argument with someone you have not ignored! It doesn't make for good reading, I assure you.

I am biased, though. I have to admit that certain individuals would brighten my day by never entering into my thoughts again. I do not consider them at all unless they post here, and everything would be coming up daisies for me if they no longer could. But I am not "King of the Internet" for that and a variety of other reasons, I am certain.

Old 11-12-2003, 11:08 AM   #17
JungleHabitats
childish fighting

Well first i just want to say please if you take offense that well beyond my control guys.One thing IMO that really clutters up the forums and ESP the BOI is the on going fueds between a few certain people i wont mention names because i think it is obvious.

I can somewhat understand that each of you want to prove that the other is wrong and maybe i have not read enough into it to really know the " whole story" butits probably due to the fact that i could really care less. I know i do not like the fact that it seems you chase each other from thread to thread to make your points i believe as long as some of this has gone on here you would come to the conclusion that its not going to be solved like some Miracle from Benny Hin thats going to come down slap you on the forhead and Viola its over.I also understand that iy really digs at each of you when the other posts something thats somewhat understandable but i think if you both were to just drop the ball and refuse to respond to the others actions it would really go away and not be such a factor in that if one doesnt bring up the others name then the other should have no reason to respond ?Its human nature to want or feel the need to defend yourself when attacked but if you can find it to not feel the need to attack there would be no need to defend. And if those are not plauseable things to work with maybe you need your own " hidden" spot to just go for the juggulars where only you and people who want to watch it go down can have a usergroup set up for that so that anytime you feel that need you and anyon who cares to watch can "login into" that usergroup and well get it on there . I dont know for sure but i can only imagine that when others login in to the forums and read thread after thread it only does some level of damage to the credences(sp) of the use of this board/s and just gives outsiders who depise the forums here a more even keeled argument to say if you dont think that board this or that go look at this thread , that thread and you will see what i mean .

So with that that would be something i would suggest to be added if you must argue with each other that you have your own room to do so in . And save others of having to weed through threads of off topic stalkings just to prove points.

Old 11-13-2003, 04:06 PM   #18
WebSlave
Well, with just 18 votes out of over 6,000 registered members, obviously most people don't care one way or the other.

I have reinstated Neil Gubitz. And no, I am not going to ban Adam Block again as I was seriously thinking of doing.

I am extremely afraid of incrementally becoming another "you know who" with this banning stuff.

If people get out of hand, I will incorporate temporary bans to give them a cooling off period. If necessary, this will encompass ALL members participating in a heated feud. If at all possible, I will issue one, and only one, warning.

But my best suggestion to everyone is that if you don't care to read what someone is writing, then don't. No one is twisting your arm to read their messages, so if you do read them, please don't complain to me about it.

Old 11-13-2003, 05:22 PM   #19
Wilomn
I think you may not have many commenting on this topic because they don't know it's here. I just found out by a kindly pm sent to me.

I think there should be an option of permanent banning. Some people abuse the priviledge of being here. They do so repeatedly. gubitz is a perfect example.

Rich, you will always be a far cry from jeff over at ks. This is obvious from everything you do and the manner in which you do it. But like any parent sometimes when you say no, you really have to mean no. Otherwise it will never matter what you say. You will lose credibility.

Perhaps a lind over on the boi would help get more opinions on this topic.

Wes Pollock

Old 11-13-2003, 06:53 PM   #20
Dragondad
Vote

I have to agree with Wes, I think the problem with this thread isnt that people dont care its that people dont know. I rarely go outside of the BOI or a couple of other topics and just discovered this by accident. And yet my vote seemed to even out the score to the point is back to your choice.

I agree some sort of ban needs to be there( the cooling off) but as with some they do need to be able to defend themselves. Or at least continue to spout the dribble so we can become even more unimpressed. I am not in favore of any sort of permanent ban.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!