what lights are used and what times on and off - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-26-2011, 12:39 AM   #1
john.r1
what lights are used and what times on and off

hi i was seeing what type of lighting people recommended and used and what times they had lights coming on and off at

viv 4x2x2

i use a exo terra 100 watt red heat bulb for basking at 105-107 cool end 78 ish with a micro climate b1me magic eye thermostat which has day and night mode, thats why i use red bulb , which drops to 80 at night on basking , 75 ish on floor near basking and far end 65-68

and an Arcadia D3+ 12% Reptile Lamp 36W, 48in

lights come on at 5 am and off at 7 pm

basking spot gets to 105 for about 10 -11 am its about 107 at 7 pm

i go to work at 7.15 am so he has had 2 hours to warm up before 1 st feed

i was thinking of changing to a mvb bulb mega ray but am not sure now after reading about them on here , on there site they look brilliant .

so what does everyone else use ? and would it be worth changing ?

Old 12-26-2011, 04:35 AM   #2
Rud3Bwoy
first off remove the infared bulb and get a regular bulb

also id stay away from the mega ray to many issues and you need a certain amount of height to use those also.

arcadia or reptisun is just fine

and your schedule seems fine,everyone is different,i do 11am to 11:30 pm or

12 to 12

Old 12-26-2011, 04:55 AM   #3
john.r1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rud3Bwoy View Post
first off remove the infared bulb and get a regular bulb

also id stay away from the mega ray to many issues and you need a certain amount of height to use those also.

arcadia or reptisun is just fine

and your schedule seems fine,everyone is different,i do 11am to 11:30 pm or

12 to 12
ive only had my dragon a few months so new to all of this ,
whats the difference between having a red bulb or a normal one ?

also im going to stay away from the mega ray

but would like to no why to get rid of red bulb , also a normal bulb would keep him awake at night when the light comes on to heat the tank would it not ?

Old 12-26-2011, 04:57 AM   #4
Rud3Bwoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by john.r1 View Post
ive only had my dragon a few months so new to all of this ,
whats the difference between having a red bulb or a normal one ?

also im going to stay away from the mega ray

but would like to no why to get rid of red bulb , also a normal bulb would keep him awake at night when the light comes on to heat the tank would it not ?
they see red light at night no heating source is required unless your temps drop to 60 c or so at night,if it does then use a heat emitter which produces no light to distract him from his sleep

you would want to mimic the day and night cycle also, a bright house hold bulb will be good or spot bulb just no infrared

Old 12-26-2011, 05:12 AM   #5
john.r1
i will try a normal bulb if you think thats better

i used the red as i did not think they could see the red light , i also got told to get them

do you think i should buy solarmeter 6.2 to check when i need to replace my strip light or just change it every 6 months

i dont no what my temps drop to at night with no heat source i will turn everything off tonight and find out, i no the cool is 65 or so with the red bulb on .

Old 12-26-2011, 05:03 PM   #6
Rud3Bwoy
Quote:

i used the red as i did not think they could see the red light , i also got told to get them

do you think i should buy solarmeter 6.2 to check when i need to replace my strip light or just change it every 6 months

i dont no what my temps drop to at night with no heat source i will turn everything off tonight and find out, i no the cool is 65 or so with the red bulb on .
yes red bulb they can see,i removed it asap.personally i change it every 6 months or so since i don't have a solarmeter.

def check night temps,i check mines and i don't need a heat emitter. at all,only during the day

Old 12-28-2011, 02:04 AM   #7
Mreynolds101110
Quote:

Most homes are 66-72 degrees( room temp). Mine is around 70 downstairs. You do not need the additional night time heat unless it feels cold to you, I keep my up stairs probably 63-66, I like it a little colder when I sleep but there are no reptiles up there The red bulbs definitely interfere with sleep. ....And a solar meter is great to have, but you don't need it. Just change your bulbs every 6 months to a year, depending on the bulb. I have both calcium with d3 and with out d3, if I am starting to doubt my bulbs or it is getting close to needing to be changed, I give them d3 in the calcium too.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:16 AM   #8
Mreynolds101110
I use both repti-sun 10.0 bulbs and MVB bulbs. The MVB's, I have tried many brands and my favorite is t-rex active UV. Second would be power sun. The rest I am not a fan of, I have had bad experiences with mega ray. 3 different bulbs. I tried solar glo and did not care for it, beardies seem happier with the t-rex. I have also tried a coil bulb once, it was horrible. My poor girl squinted for a week.

I try to keep them on timers but at the moment( due to some wanting to brumate) I individually turn them on sometime between 8-10 am and turn them off between 8-11 pm.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:59 AM   #9
john.r1
thanks for the replys so far

i have just bought 1 new bulbs for the basking spot 1 normal colour ,
i cant see what the difference is from using red to normal obiviously the colour but besides that ?? its only i have already got sevral red bulb which i bought when i got killer

and the temps in england do get cold i checked ouside the viv last night and it was 63 f so can turn off at night or set it to come on if it drops below 60 f

this is him this morning

Old 12-28-2011, 06:38 AM   #10
Rud3Bwoy
Quote:
thanks for the replys so far

i have just bought 1 new bulbs for the basking spot 1 normal colour ,
i cant see what the difference is from using red to normal obiviously the colour but besides that ?? its only i have already got sevral red bulb which i bought when i got killer

and the temps in england do get cold i checked ouside the viv last night and it was 63 f so can turn off at night or set it to come on if it drops below 60 f

this is him this morning

the red light don't really mimic the day light outside,nor should it be used at night as they see red light which bothers there sleep,dragons like it to be dark for nappy time

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!