Dealing with minors - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 03-08-2006, 05:25 PM   #1
hhmoore
Dealing with minors

Just curious how everybody proceeds once they have been given reason to believe that a potential customer is under the age of 18. I have had several inquiries over the past few months, and a common note was that they would be having somebody else send payment. Usually payment never arrived, but it brought to mind a question. If a 17 yo is not living at home, I can't very well insist on speaking to the parents for confirmation...but I also have no way of knowing that the story is true. Business was simpler in the old days, lol

Old 03-09-2006, 02:21 AM   #2
hhmoore
One thing that I always do in the 3rd party payment scenario is insist on communication with the person that makes payment...including an email from the paypal account address (which I keep in that customers file). While a couple of customers seemed a bit put out by this, the people making the payments were all very understanding and appreciative.

Old 03-09-2006, 08:13 AM   #3
Lucille
I bought a snake from a minor, I asked to talk via email with his mom, and I sent payment to her.
The deal went smoothly and I am happy; the minor understood completely when I said that the transaction itself would have to be completed by his parent.

Old 03-09-2006, 10:42 AM   #4
shrap
I don't do transactions with minors at all. It has to be 18 or over. Minors can not be held to any contract, terms of service, agreements etc. Also, I would hate to sell a reptile to a minor when the parents have no knowledge of the situation. Just asking for problems when Mom finds that critter in their child's bedroom. I am more than happy to deal with their parents or legal guardian though.

Old 03-09-2006, 10:42 AM   #5
Clay Davenport
I don't deal with minors at all. If a teenager wants to buy a snake I tell him his parent will have to call me on the phone to discuss it. I don't want the kid posing as his parent in an email, and I sure don't want an irate unsuspecting mother calling me because I sent her kid a snake.

Old 03-09-2006, 01:12 PM   #6
Dachiu
I deal with minors of all ages - all of the time. And I make it a point to deal with the minor/child through all aspects of the transaction - THEN follow up with speaking to a parent.
There are usually husbandry and other questions that are covered with the initial phone call that ANY prospective customer makes, whether they are a minor or not. Why in the world would you make an age requirement on the customer service that you should offer to everyone?
I go through the whole thing - answering their questions, getting names, address, phone number and all that. Once I am sure that the minor/child is finished with their questions and happy - Ill politely ask to speak with a parent for payment arrangements.
Many times I find that the parent is standing right there next to the minor/child and encouraging them to ask their questions and reserve the animal. The minor/child hands the phone to their parent with a delighted smile - the parent takes the phone with an indulgent smile and we are all off to a great start. The only thing I really need from the parent is confirmation of purchase (animal chosen and the total $), delivery address and their payment information.
If the parent is not available at the moment, I will hold the animal and call them back later that evening. If I do not receive a parental confirmation in the next day or so, the animal then becomes available again.
Please note : The actual purchase is in the parents name and the animal is shipped to the minor/child, but c/o the parent.

V.

As a side note from a parent, I always appreciate someone taking the time to treat my children with the same respect and attention that they would give an adult... they may be minors, but they are also young adults (teenagers) who are learning to make good decisions and conduct themselves in 'grown-up' situations. Any helping hands are more than welcome. :-)

Old 03-09-2006, 02:04 PM   #7
Clay Davenport
Just in case my post was poorly worded, I didn't mean that I refuse to even talk to minors. When I said I don't deal with them at all I meant it as in I do not do business with minors at all.
If a minor, with parental approval and involvement, is going to be the primary owner of an animal, sure I go over care related questions and such, but the parent must make the purchase and depending on the age of the child will also have to go over care issues.

Occasionally I will admit that I refuse to deal with some minors on any level. I can't help it, but there is a segment of the younger generation who are unable to correctly spell any word in excess of 5 letters and are incapable of putting together complete sentences that do not include childish abbreviations and such.
I can't even stand to work through an email like that and usually don't even read it to the end. In those cases I am of the opinion that the time they would be spending with their new snake would be better spent studying to try to attain something that at least resembles coherent communication.

I have had the pleasure of communicating with two outstanding young people in my years though. It is sad that the ones I consider outstanding only number two and that they stand out so prominately in comparison to all the other kids I've corresponded with.
Both these boys were 13 years old and I was utterly amazed by their communication skills and vocabulary.
I nearly just sold one of them a ball python without thinking about it until he mentioned he was 13. I told his mom on the phone that I was greatly impressed with her son's maturity.
The other wasn't a potential customer but was interested in talking about a specific topic. I fully expect that young man to become an exceptional herpetologist in the field one day.

Old 03-09-2006, 05:21 PM   #8
shrap
What Clay said. I just require parental involvement.

Old 03-09-2006, 11:19 PM   #9
reptilebreeder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dachiu
There are usually husbandry and other questions that are covered with the initial phone call that ANY prospective customer makes, whether they are a minor or not. Why in the world would you make an age requirement on the customer service that you should offer to everyone? :-)
I don't think anyone was advocating poor (or no ) customer service, just because someone is a minor. I, and I think most of us, are more than happy to deal with minors, in many aspects of this hobby. The OP was talking about payment/business aspects, and as Shrap noted, a minor can't enter into any kind of contract, so it's just good business, and common sense to make sure that the parent knows what is going on, and also actually handles the "business" part of the deal. Heck I know when I was a youngster, the stuff hit the fan every time one of the parents found a new animal "hidden" in my room. Luckily it was stuff I caught, so no one else got in "trouble", just me

Old 03-10-2006, 01:06 PM   #10
Griz
Ditto here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Davenport
Just in case my post was poorly worded, I didn't mean that I refuse to even talk to minors. When I said I don't deal with them at all I meant it as in I do not do business with minors at all.
If a minor, with parental approval and involvement, is going to be the primary owner of an animal, sure I go over care related questions and such, but the parent must make the purchase and depending on the age of the child will also have to go over care issues.

Occasionally I will admit that I refuse to deal with some minors on any level. I can't help it, but there is a segment of the younger generation who are unable to correctly spell any word in excess of 5 letters and are incapable of putting together complete sentences that do not include childish abbreviations and such.
I can't even stand to work through an email like that and usually don't even read it to the end. In those cases I am of the opinion that the time they would be spending with their new snake would be better spent studying to try to attain something that at least resembles coherent communication.

I have had the pleasure of communicating with two outstanding young people in my years though. It is sad that the ones I consider outstanding only number two and that they stand out so prominately in comparison to all the other kids I've corresponded with.
Both these boys were 13 years old and I was utterly amazed by their communication skills and vocabulary.
I nearly just sold one of them a ball python without thinking about it until he mentioned he was 13. I told his mom on the phone that I was greatly impressed with her son's maturity.
The other wasn't a potential customer but was interested in talking about a specific topic. I fully expect that young man to become an exceptional herpetologist in the field one day.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!