Temperature Control Project - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:20 AM   #1
Web Wheeler
Temperature Control Project

Here are the results of a little project I started in 2005. It's an on-line, programmable temperature controller that I'm working on:

Here is a link to more info and the current temperature in my reptile room:

On-Line Programmable Temperature Controller

Anyone who might like more info is welcomed to contact me!

Old 03-09-2007, 11:59 AM   #2
Scott Ashton
Interesting.

Why not just integrate an on-board NIC instead of using a serial interface?

Old 03-09-2007, 12:25 PM   #3
DThomas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Ashton
Interesting.

Why not just integrate an on-board NIC instead of using a serial interface?
Or a USB interface. I don't even have a computer with a serial connection anymore. But yes, interesting.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:39 PM   #4
Web Wheeler
The PCB board only comes with a serial connection, but one of these would probably work... haven't tried it myself.

Serial to USB Cable

I suppose the software (which I am writing) would have to be modified to read/write to the USB port as well, but that should not be a problem.

Old 03-09-2007, 02:38 PM   #5
Scott Ashton
Quote:
Originally Posted by DThomas
Or a USB interface. I don't even have a computer with a serial connection anymore. But yes, interesting.
I thought about the USB angle - but you still need a PC to handle the communications. I'd prefer to have a self-contained unit that didn't require additional hardware.

Old 03-09-2007, 02:59 PM   #6
DThomas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Ashton
I thought about the USB angle - but you still need a PC to handle the communications. I'd prefer to have a self-contained unit that didn't require additional hardware.
Ah ok, so you mean a wireless NIC instead of an ethernet one. I totally agree that would be ideal. No need to go hook up to the unit to program and it gives it the internet access at the same time.

That could also be accomplished if a USB port was included with just a wireless USB adapter. That could cut down on production costs and give customers a choice between hardwired or wireless. With USB adapters being so cheap now it would cost a customer to upgrade to wireless if they wished.

Now the programming the unit to work wirelessly is another story. I don't have the knowledge on how easy or difficult that would be.

Old 03-09-2007, 03:13 PM   #7
Scott Ashton
Quote:
Originally Posted by DThomas
Ah ok, so you mean a wireless NIC instead of an ethernet one. I totally agree that would be ideal. No need to go hook up to the unit to program and it gives it the internet access at the same time.

That could also be accomplished if a USB port was included with just a wireless USB adapter. That could cut down on production costs and give customers a choice between hardwired or wireless. With USB adapters being so cheap now it would cost a customer to upgrade to wireless if they wished.

Now the programming the unit to work wirelessly is another story. I don't have the knowledge on how easy or difficult that would be.

I'd settle for either wired or wireless.

Either way its definitely feasible, you could easily embed a web server in the unit itself which would eliminate the need for connecting the device to the PC.

There are quite a few companies that manufacture similar set-ups for temperature and humidity monitoring, but I'm unaware of any thermostats that offer this type of functionality.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!