Spilotes care tips - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-10-2009, 02:36 PM   #1
Will0W783
Spilotes care tips

Anyone else on here own Spilotes pullatus? I just bought a juvenile male on Saturday. I have researched as much as I could on them, and set up a tank accordingly. He is about 4 feet long, and is currently set up in a 55-gallon tank with aspen bedding, a large water bowl, a branch sculpture for him to climb on and a few actual branches braced up against the sides for additional climbing. I am making him a scorched PVC pipe perch to give him a solid, completely horizontal perch as well. The guy I got him from was very helpful and has decent experience with them. He said to put it on aspen and not mist it as they can get blister problems easily. However all the care sheets I find online say 60-65% humidity and that the snakes like to lap water droplets off themselves when you spray them. Anyone have any personal experience to chime in here? I soaked him when I first got him home Saturday and again yesterday. He lapped up a few gulps of water then seemed more interested in getting out and going exploring..he is definitely curious and feisty. Thanks in advance everyone!

Old 12-21-2009, 07:26 PM   #2
flboy21283
Sounds like you're off to a good start. spilotes like to bask. Make sure he has a light above his perch somewhere. you can check out ratsnakefoundation.org for some more in depth information about the species. They do drink quite a bit from what i've seen, it's always good to keep the water fresh daily. Also, they will eat in the trees, even if the food is on the ground. I tried to take a video with my phone, but that didn't go over that well. lol. Here's some photos to browse. This one's a little over 6' and about 3 years old.

Old 01-01-2010, 12:52 PM   #3
leper65
Awesome snake flboy! I'm wanting one of these guys too. Here's a link to a care sheet I found:

http://www.primareptilia.com/spp_care.html

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!