Desert Sidewinder (Crotalus Cerastes) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-09-2010, 02:29 AM   #1
Snakeholic
Desert Sidewinder (Crotalus Cerastes)

Anyone familiar with this species? From what Ive research there venom is not potent bec. of its very little delivery system. Others have said a bite from a rear fang vine snake is more potent than sidewinder? Can a bite from a sidewinder be left untreated then with no ill effect or anti venom?
Thanks for replys in advance.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:44 PM   #2
reticguy76
all bites from venomous (front fanged at bare minimum) should be medically examined and potentially treated

Old 06-12-2010, 01:16 PM   #3
Snakeholic
Thanks, someone link me a post from another site. I bite from c. serastes cost him $110,000. I guess Ill stick to non venomous, at most a hognose (my very mellow pet).

Old 06-12-2010, 08:53 PM   #4
reticguy76
this is how i think of it, i have (and have had) a few different hots. i treat all of them the same. when they measure potency of venom it is done in milligrams of venom. some are higher, and some are lower. which means some are less potent, some are more potent. alot of it is how much venom is injected. for example, a friend of mine got tagged by a 5 foot wdb and had actually pretty minimal affects from it (treated of course). then i saw someone on another forum that got tagged by his newly collected maybe 12 inch long young adult cerestes, and had some sever issues for a good while. its a combo of size of animal, amount of venom released and individual body reaction to the venom.

Old 10-23-2010, 01:39 PM   #5
Rattlesnake
It all depends on the amount of venom injected.
Some bites are dry, some bites do not inject a large amount of venom, some bites receive the full amount of venom injected at the time of the bite.

Old 11-12-2010, 05:04 PM   #6
CrotalusCo
Your post leaves out to much information to give you the answer you want.

Yes the C. cerastes is a small snake and the venom yield is much less than a C. adamanteus. This does not limit the danger.

You mentioned that someone said it was no worse than a rear fanged bite. Well there are rear fanged venomous snakes that will kill you quicker and in worse ways than many front fanged venomous snakes.

ANY rattlesnake bite can be very serious and can end with your death. At very least you will sure regret the bite

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!