Inquiry: East Tennessee Reptile Rescue - Page 6 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:08 PM   #51
John E Dove
Mr. Willams,
If I may interject a thought here; the idea is still a good one and correct husbandry for the most common reptillian to show up at a rescue can be learned.
What you folks really need to do is; first close the not for profit rescue site, second sit your group down in the same room with a computer and start researching the process involved in becoming a 501(c)3.
Next take a look at a bunch of Reptile Rescue web sites and what they have up for adoption so you can get some idea on what you might require in the way of care info, space, enclosures, supplies etc.
After that try to figure out if your group (should not be a group of two) can actually afford to start a rescue. It costs much more than the few bucks you will need to shell out for the lawyer, papers of incorporation, Tax ID, 501(c)3 application etc. You are going to have to have enclosures etc for animals you may not even have on hand just in case. If a 5 foot Iguana shows up on your doorstep you need the cage ready and waiting.
Anyway get your group together and talk it over then if you still think you can go through with it, start over doing it correctly from the start.
There are those out here who might be willing to assist someone doing it correctly but they are equally willing to get the word out if someone shows any sign of breaking the law.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:14 PM   #52
bobidiboo
Finally an adult approach to helping others rather than taring them down! Bravo Mr. Dove

Quote:
Originally Posted by John E Dove
Mr. Willams,
If I may interject a thought here; the idea is still a good one and correct husbandry for the most common reptillian to show up at a rescue can be learned.
What you folks really need to do is; first close the not for profit rescue site, second sit your group down in the same room with a computer and start researching the process involved in becoming a 501(c)3.
Next take a look at a bunch of Reptile Rescue web sites and what they have up for adoption so you can get some idea on what you might require in the way of care info, space, enclosures, supplies etc.
After that try to figure out if your group (should not be a group of two) can actually afford to start a rescue. It costs much more than the few bucks you will need to shell out for the lawyer, papers of incorporation, Tax ID, 501(c)3 application etc. You are going to have to have enclosures etc for animals you may not even have on hand just in case. If a 5 foot Iguana shows up on your doorstep you need the cage ready and waiting.
Anyway get your group together and talk it over then if you still think you can go through with it, start over doing it correctly from the start.
There are those out here who might be willing to assist someone doing it correctly but they are equally willing to get the word out if someone shows any sign of breaking the law.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:26 PM   #53
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobidiboo
I suppose no one on this forum enforces its own rules do they? I Quote from the forums own rules

Yeah right, What a farse this forum is.

You reported the thread title within the first few hours when it started. You have no idea if any moderation has taken place or not. Accept for a full name violation, Nothing else within that time violated any rules. Multiple moderators have taken the time to read this thread for any violations. Cut the crap or just leave.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:32 PM   #54
Dennis Hultman
You get three days for the private message you sent me. When you get back discuss the issues with those involved but I'm not going to put up with any more antagonism.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:54 PM   #55
MadMasterMax
I am not able to spend as much time on the comp so I will have to reduce my activity in this discussion but let me clarify something a few little points. I am just discoraged, some people have been very helpful, many just flung accusations, but with this and any other reptile project I do I am trying to do the right thing. We are still trying. Let me make this clear though, Sonnie is not a fraud, or the bad person she's made out to be. she may have made mistakes, in husbandry and or in paper work, I know its hard to imagine they were innocent since most of us are perfect at everything the first try, but I really think any mistakes were innocent. she has worked hard rescuing many animals. I have seen her work hard to save many. I have seen her give me an animal she couldent help and it is healthy as can be. I understand the suggestions, I appriciate the help, but I can tell you absolutly that the accusations are unfounded. Even if we aren't big enough to help every reptile, if we help one we've done a good thing.

Old 07-28-2008, 05:33 PM   #56
bhlover1918
East Tn Reptile rescue

Hello, my name is Pattye, and I am the director of the East Tennessee Bloodhound Rescue. This is my first time posting on this forum, and wanted to take a minute to clear up some misgivings. First of all, NO ONE is under the direction of my rescue. I did help Sonnie Mynatt by answering questions about a rescue, and giving advice to the best of my knowledge. I helped her with adoption applications, owner surrender forms, ect. Generally, the same thing I use daily in my rescue. I truely dont think she is out to scam anybody. I explained to her about a 501c3, and how its used for donations. I will be the first to admit that I know absolutely nothing about reptiles, and I informed everyone of this. I also explained that a rescue is definately NOT a way to make money. I have been doing my own rescue for awhile now, and I also work with others. If I continue my rescue for the next 50 years, I will never even start to break even, and absolutely will NEVER make a profit. I explain this to everyone I know trying to start a rescue. I do what I do solely for the love of the breed. I really hope this clears some things up. I am very proud of my rescue, and wouldnt want anything to tarnish my reputation.

Old 07-28-2008, 05:40 PM   #57
TrulyRare
I have requested that my website be deleted. We might have jumped the gun, but keeping my good name, and keeping things right are important to me. We are trying to do the right thing, and over and over again, it just keeps getting worse. I'll figure out how to raise the 2,000 it's going to cost to get the 501, without the donations and such. I will just continue in helping when i can, and rehome when i can, and me and max will do our herp society, and maybe then we can get more people in helping us get this started. I'm sorry if you guys think, I was doing this for a profit, by NO MEANS was that it at all. I'm completely heart broke, that my dream got stomped before it could start, and What sucks is that you guys didn't even ask, or find out truths, you assumed, before knowing facts. I love animals, all of all types. I have helped many people in there fears, and knowledge of animals, yes with reptiles its a new thing every day, not everything gonna be the same, you learn all the time. and you learn from your mistakes, If you can't and don't change after mistakes, then..yea...then flame me, but i quickly fix the problem, not add to it. I don't mind going about it the right way, and i was going on what i was told, and guided threw someone who is 501, threw the state. I've been on the phone all day with TWRA. I'm going to make a difference in this community, when it comes to the herps, just like pits, they get a bad rep. And I want to change that. I don't know What i can do make you guys understand that all good intensions where here, and none were bad. No one is perfect, as you guys have made mistakes themselves. You learn. You grow. And yes I'm young and trying. I wanted to make dreams, and things happen, and whatever happened, was said, before i started this was just that, ...was before. Before I even thought i was even able to do this offically. But now i know that i can, or could...as i should say...I went with it, and excitedly. I have always wanted to do something of the sort, with the support of my friends and family, I was going to do just that. But as I said. I will take it down. And start, it again, when I feel, that my name has been unflamed, and when I feel there is nothing that will stop us from being successful. I will get my lawyer involved, and do it on my own. Without the guidence from someone else. Pattye helped me, and Me and max were going to make this happen. It's really sad instead of trying to help us, you guys have done nothing but flame us. We needed the help, not the burn. -Sigh-...And you wonder why so the herp community fails, because of all the hate, and burns. And as far fyi, on me breeding, I wont be breeding enough to mess with any market. And most of mine would be sold to people i know, but I'm not going to charge them a arm and a leg for something. And thats MY deisicion!! ...The guy who sold me my spider ball feels the same way, he is in it for the hobby, and NOT for the money. The same as me. -neways...

-Sonnie

Old 07-28-2008, 05:55 PM   #58
Gecko_Den
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrulyRare
I have requested that my website be deleted. We might have jumped the gun, but keeping my good name, and keeping things right are important to me. We are trying to do the right thing, and over and over again, it just keeps getting worse. I'll figure out how to raise the 2,000 it's going to cost to get the 501, without the donations and such. I will just continue in helping when i can, and rehome when i can, and me and max will do our herp society, and maybe then we can get more people in helping us get this started. I'm sorry if you guys think, I was doing this for a profit, by NO MEANS was that it at all. I'm completely heart broke, that my dream got stomped before it could start, and What sucks is that you guys didn't even ask, or find out truths, you assumed, before knowing facts. I love animals, all of all types. I have helped many people in there fears, and knowledge of animals, yes with reptiles its a new thing every day, not everything gonna be the same, you learn all the time. and you learn from your mistakes, If you can't and don't change after mistakes, then..yea...then flame me, but i quickly fix the problem, not add to it. I don't mind going about it the right way, and i was going on what i was told, and guided threw someone who is 501, threw the state. I've been on the phone all day with TWRA. I'm going to make a difference in this community, when it comes to the herps, just like pits, they get a bad rep. And I want to change that. I don't know What i can do make you guys understand that all good intensions where here, and none were bad. No one is perfect, as you guys have made mistakes themselves. You learn. You grow. And yes I'm young and trying. I wanted to make dreams, and things happen, and whatever happened, was said, before i started this was just that, ...was before. Before I even thought i was even able to do this offically. But now i know that i can, or could...as i should say...I went with it, and excitedly. I have always wanted to do something of the sort, with the support of my friends and family, I was going to do just that. But as I said. I will take it down. And start, it again, when I feel, that my name has been unflamed, and when I feel there is nothing that will stop us from being successful. I will get my lawyer involved, and do it on my own. Without the guidence from someone else. Pattye helped me, and Me and max were going to make this happen. It's really sad instead of trying to help us, you guys have done nothing but flame us. We needed the help, not the burn. -Sigh-...And you wonder why so the herp community fails, because of all the hate, and burns. And as far fyi, on me breeding, I wont be breeding enough to mess with any market. And most of mine would be sold to people i know, but I'm not going to charge them a arm and a leg for something. And thats MY deisicion!! ...The guy who sold me my spider ball feels the same way, he is in it for the hobby, and NOT for the money. The same as me. -neways...

-Sonnie
If you want to salvage what is left of your reputation you can start by stopping all the "woe is me" crap. Then you can start being honest; you have already been caught being dishonest in this thread. No one is out to get you, an inquiry was posted about you and your "rescue", you were then exposed for not being what you represented yourself to be, a legitimate rescue. That's one of the reasons the B.O.I. exists, checking out people to see if they are what they represent themselves to be and exposing them if they aren't legit. You may have had good intentions, but you went about things wrong and got caught. Learn from the experience rather than whine about how unfair you and your pals were treated on this thread and this site.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:00 PM   #59
ophidile
TrulyRare - I have to agree with others on this; it sounds like your intentions are good, but you're not very experienced in this.
It's fine if you want to give unwanted animals a home, or even just a temp home (fostering), but there are too many places that claim to be a "rescue" that fall apart.

I boarded half my snakes at a "rescue" when I went to grad school. I thought it would be okay... but unfortunately the couple had a baby with some serious medical complications, and were unable to take care of the animals properly. But while I understood there were difficulties, whenever I asked if I should take the snakes back they said things were in control...
And then snakes started dying. Three of my snakes (out of 6 I boarded with them) died before I could make the 20hr round trip to pick them up. The conditions were... not fabulous. I feel really sorry for them, they were just trying to take care of some herps and got hit with a serious problem, but in the end they were just doing their own thing, had no backup for this kind of problem, and half the snakes I put with them died.

Think seriously about who will take care of your animals if you get sick again, etc etc. Don't advertise as a "non-profit rescue" unless you are, legally, a non-profit entity. Don't say "rescue" until you've thought out funding for vet bills, what to do with long-term unwanted animals, and who will take care of things if something happens to you. And so on.

Good luck.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:02 PM   #60
TrulyRare
I'm not whining, or looking for sympathy. I'm stating, I had NO bad intensions what so ever, and wanted to learn and grow with this, not get jumped and flamed. I have NOT misrepsensted myself, I was going on what i was told, and advised, And I'm not lying about anything, I have NOTHING to hide.

I want to know how i was being dishonest?

I didn't lie about anything, when she did my website she told me to put an animal on it, so we put that snake. I told her that I had posted it. She said it didn't matter. I'm young and YES it was a MISTAKE. IM not lying about anything. I just said, we would go about this the right way, And I got the website took down. How is that not being honest? Ive turned this flame into advise, and took it...So how am I doing wrong by taking the advice of many and stopping my intensions of the rescue, and will go about them the right and legal way. I was told i could work under her, and i must have misunderstood. I misunderstood what i was told. I jumped the gun, and now the guns been locked up. there..is over ..this is no inquiry about anything now, there is no longer at ETRR. I deleted it.

-Sonnie

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!