Inquiry: East Tennessee Reptile Rescue - Page 7 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:05 PM   #61
TrulyRare
Quote:
Originally Posted by ophidile
TrulyRare - I have to agree with others on this; it sounds like your intentions are good, but you're not very experienced in this.
It's fine if you want to give unwanted animals a home, or even just a temp home (fostering), but there are too many places that claim to be a "rescue" that fall apart.

I boarded half my snakes at a "rescue" when I went to grad school. I thought it would be okay... but unfortunately the couple had a baby with some serious medical complications, and were unable to take care of the animals properly. But while I understood there were difficulties, whenever I asked if I should take the snakes back they said things were in control...
And then snakes started dying. Three of my snakes (out of 6 I boarded with them) died before I could make the 20hr round trip to pick them up. The conditions were... not fabulous. I feel really sorry for them, they were just trying to take care of some herps and got hit with a serious problem, but in the end they were just doing their own thing, had no backup for this kind of problem, and half the snakes I put with them died.

Think seriously about who will take care of your animals if you get sick again, etc etc. Don't advertise as a "non-profit rescue" unless you are, legally, a non-profit entity. Don't say "rescue" until you've thought out funding for vet bills, what to do with long-term unwanted animals, and who will take care of things if something happens to you. And so on.

Good luck.
I understand this. BUT..i was guided i guess wrongly, in this type of thing. I guess dog rescues are different than the reptiles, and I will wait to the future to do this again. the website is gone, and is no longer a problem. And I'm sorry to hear about your animals. No one can predict the future. I had back up plans, but..like i said its no more stress now, I've stopped my rescue, in its 4 day span. thanks.

-Sonnie

Old 07-28-2008, 06:06 PM   #62
Gecko_Den
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrulyRare
I want to know how i was being dishonest?
Quote:
I'm under someone who is 501, and you can start a rescue under the supervision of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlover1918
Hello, my name is Pattye, and I am the director of the East Tennessee Bloodhound Rescue. This is my first time posting on this forum, and wanted to take a minute to clear up some misgivings. First of all, NO ONE is under the direction of my rescue.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:09 PM   #63
TrulyRare
icybaby
Animal Protector

Re: Well it's offical!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 08:07:21 PM » Quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sonnie hasnt gotten her 501c3 yet, but as of now shes working under mine. I will be getting another for the local rescue, and then probally partner up with her and combine things. Right now, I think the care for the animals is more important. 501c3's are expensive, and until donations actually start rolling in, they're not that important

Report to moderator Logged

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pattye
East Tennessee Bloodhound Rescue

Here's what she posted on ETP ..my other forum....

I emailed her this and she said..
this it was under direction of hers.

I must have mis understood what she said.

So..if i was lying why would i ask her to come here and post?

Old 07-28-2008, 06:14 PM   #64
Gecko_Den
Quote:
icybaby
Animal Protector

Sonnie hasnt gotten her 501c3 yet, but as of now shes working under mine. I will be getting another for the local rescue, and then probally partner up with her and combine things. Right now, I think the care for the animals is more important. 501c3's are expensive, and until donations actually start rolling in, they're not that important

Pattye

So Pattye, can you shed a little light on your contradictory posts?

Old 07-28-2008, 06:18 PM   #65
snakewrangler
Nice work, Sam.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:29 PM   #66
Seamus Haley
Y'know Sonnie... If you had ever tried obtaining information through a process that didn't entail screwing the pooch until someone came along and told you how to do it right- you would have far fewer issues. The "honest mistake" excuse stops working when it becomes evident that you never even attempted to find information before making an attempt and screwing things up.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:37 PM   #67
bhlover1918
when i put working " under me" i ment under my guidence. I was telling her how i thought a legit works. im not stupid. i know someone cannot work under another escues 501c3. i tried to help with websites, adoption forms, ect. i tried to answer questions that someone had ask to the best of my ability. as i stated before, i have zero knowledge of reptiles. i was just trying to help

Old 07-28-2008, 06:42 PM   #68
Gecko_Den
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlover1918
when i put working " under me" i ment under my guidence. I was telling her how i thought a legit works. im not stupid. i know someone cannot work under another escues 501c3. i tried to help with websites, adoption forms, ect. i tried to answer questions that someone had ask to the best of my ability. as i stated before, i have zero knowledge of reptiles. i was just trying to help
Seriously, that's what you are sticking with, final answer?

Quote:

Pattye

Old 07-28-2008, 06:50 PM   #69
TrulyRare
I'm not blaming Pattye, or saying she done wrong. She tried to help me, and maybe i misread, misunderstood, or didn't get what she said. I'm just saying, there is nothing but good intensions, and its turned into this, load of BS. I'm not a liar, and far from it. I was trying to do a good thing. And I done the right thing and took it down, and stopped it before it started. I said multiple times i was working under her direction.

I'm a little confused on all this. But i stopped it in its tracks before this could get worse.

-Sonnie

Old 07-28-2008, 07:17 PM   #70
ophidile
TrulyRare - it's good you've reconsidered. You've got a good goal (a reptile rescue). Just work towards it. Do keep on getting advice from rescues, and online! Try to get out to other herp rescues, or at least talk to them online; what makes a good rescue? What makes a bad one? (this happens with mammals too; how many would-be "cat rescuers" turn into "hoarders"??) Build up your local network, save up for the paperwork, etc etc.
hint; responding to a craigslist "I need to get rid of my herp!!" add is okay, posting craigslist "give me your herps!!" not so much.
Think of how you will present yourself and your future rescue.
Most of all, try to be calm and build up a bit of a thick skin; people will question you, but it's because they care about what happens to the animals.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!