Can someone tell me what snake this is? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:50 AM   #1
Nitelion94
Can someone tell me what snake this is?

my cousin was at his brothers in his garage and caught this and the first person he thought of was me because im the only1 in the family that keeps snakes. He called and said he had a cow sucker and wanted to know if I wanted it. I had only seen solid black ones so I did not plan on keeping it but I went over to look and when I saw the little guy I was AMAZED. It could be a cow sucker I dont know. It just does not look like any I have ever seen or pictures of them I found on the internet. I dont know if im going to keep it but it was freeing outside tonight and I did not have the heart to let it go afraid it might die. It was flighty and nippy but calmed down fast. all so, Would you guys keep it or let it go? am I being selfish if I keep it? sorry for the long speech lol here are the pictures!

Old 09-22-2011, 01:59 AM   #2
AtrociousOne
looks like a desert king to me

Old 09-22-2011, 02:00 AM   #3
AtrociousOne
i guess it could be a baby racer (cow sucker) i've seen babies with stripes like that

Old 09-22-2011, 02:14 AM   #4
Nitelion94
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtrociousOne View Post
i guess it could be a baby racer (cow sucker) i've seen babies with stripes like that
is there anyway to know for sure? like if the stripes go away does that prove its no king

Old 09-22-2011, 02:19 AM   #5
AtrociousOne
if the stripes were to go away, i would say it's a racer. but it doesn't have the head shape of the racers i've seen, but i don't know how different southern racers are from northerns. also, the stripes are pretty vibrant, on racers the babies usually have a darker grey color with brown stripes.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:21 AM   #6
AtrociousOne
i have seen them with thinner, brighter stripes. but i've never seen a baby exactly like that. i'm really more inclined to eastern king snake though. didn't mean desert, not sure why i said that lol

Old 09-22-2011, 02:25 AM   #7
~Just Curious~
Red face

I agree that it really does look like a desert king. I don't think they're native to your area though.
On a list of KY snakes I noticed that there's black kingsnakes and speckled king snakes. When they're hatchlings they look an awful lot like that. They change as they get older then.
Here's a picture of some black king snake hatchlings. http://www.snakeeducation.com/snakes...2015,%2006.JPG and here's a speckled king hatchling. http://www.reptilesweb.com/images/st...-kingsnake.jpg

You have speckled kings in your area and that's kinda what it looks like to me. At least it's the closest I think....

I'm no expert at all though, so don't hold me to it! ;p

P.S. Just my opinion on the matter, but I personally would let it go. If it lives in the wild there then I would think it would keep on living even without our intervention from native weather.
Maybe wait until tomorrow afternoon when it gets warmer so that it can go off and find shelter. Drop it off in a nice rocky, wooded area perhaps.
I think it will be fine though.

Just my two cents. ^^

Very cute lil' guy by the way! Nice find! <3

Old 09-22-2011, 02:28 AM   #8
AtrociousOne
speckled, definitely looks like it. and yeah, i'd say let it go

Old 09-22-2011, 02:31 AM   #9
Nitelion94
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Just Curious~ View Post
I agree that it really does look like a desert king. I don't think they're native to your area though.
On a list of KY snakes I noticed that there's black kingsnakes and speckled king snakes. When they're hatchlings they look an awful lot like that. They change as they get older then.
Here's a picture of some black king snake hatchlings. http://www.snakeeducation.com/snakes...2015,%2006.JPG and here's a speckled king hatchling. http://www.reptilesweb.com/images/st...-kingsnake.jpg

You have speckled kings in your area and that's kinda what it looks like to me. At least it's the closest I think....

I'm no expert at all though, so don't hold me to it! ;p

P.S. Just my opinion on the matter, but I personally would let it go. If it lives in the wild there then I would think it would keep on living even without our intervention from native weather.
Maybe wait until tomorrow afternoon when it gets warmer so that it can go off and find shelter. Drop it off in a nice rocky, wooded area perhaps.
I think it will be fine though.

Just my two cents. ^^

Very cute lil' guy by the way! Nice find! <3
Thanks for the links at first I pulled up the black and was like thats it! then i pulled up the speckled and wow there like twins.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:36 AM   #10
~Just Curious~
So glad I could help some!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!