Advice for eye injury... loss of cap? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-05-2015, 01:15 AM   #1
LittlePig
Advice for eye injury... loss of cap?

Going to try and make a long story short...

About 4-5 days ago I found an injured young Hognose having a very bad shed on my property in FL. One eye had retained cap/caps, and the other appeared completely scarred over, and there was dry shed stuck all along it's body. After a good soak and a night in a humid enclosure the skin shed. The skin on the nose/head and at the eyes took more work. I continued to moisturize with a cotton swab and glycerin water mixture for the day, and it came away in the night revealing that what I thought was scar was a huge scab, with a hugely swollen and by all appearances capless eye underneath. It came away with an eye cap on the outside. One cap came away from the other side bit it remained a bit cloudy like there was still another there.

Last night the little fellow completed a second full shed perfectly. The good eye is now completely clear and lovely, a cap came away with the shed on that side. The other eye is less inflamed, the scab part came away with the shed, but there was a hole where there should have been a cap.

There was a bite mark under the chin of the little fellow when I initially found it. I imagine that it where the eye damage came from. I offered a small green frog a few days ago, but no interest. I've been searching for a small toad since this fellow is wild... but have not yet found one of suitable size. I may be able to scrabble up some Cuban Anole eggs tomorrow, and will snag a small lizard as well to try those.
These wilds aren't exactly easy from what I understand if you don't have a good supply of appropriately sized toads. I really just want to rehab and release so long term isn't an issue.

Any suggestions on A.) if this eye is a loss, B.) what can I do to speed recovery if it's possible, and C.) how long should I expect to keep him/her... even though I'm in central florida cooler weather is coming and I'm not sure about releasing in the winter if it's going to take a couple of months.

I really appreciate any help you can give.
I have kept a Ball before... but never dealt with an issue like this.