Status check on health of this site. - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:26 PM   #21
Golden Gate Geckos
Sorry if it's obvious, but are those statistics just for the classifieds or for overall posts on Fauna?

Old 10-30-2007, 12:28 PM   #22
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Active Ads 17,476
Comments 4,731
Views 6,934,220
Items Sold 7,292
Quote:
I know you had to start charging but since you have there is really nothing to look at on fauna. It just a handful of the same people. There prices are never that great either.
I really used to like browsing the adds. I found lots of great buys in the past even in my own state now really nothing. I hope things get back to the old way
How many people actually know to check both classified sections? I actually forget about checking the photopost section sometimes myself.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:48 PM   #23
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Hultman
Rich, are posts and threads in the photopost classifieds included in your stats?
According to the documentation from Photopost, post and replies made to the PP classifieds and the photo gallery are supposed to be counted as posts to the site. This is controlled via an option setting in the admin page. But I have never tried to prove it, and I think it would be difficult to do so.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:48 PM   #24
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Gate Geckos
Sorry if it's obvious, but are those statistics just for the classifieds or for overall posts on Fauna?
The stats are for ALL posts.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:55 PM   #25
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Hultman
How many people actually know to check both classified sections? I actually forget about checking the photopost section sometimes myself.
No way of telling. When I get this site upgraded, I believe there is a mod available that will basically combine the capabilities of both types of classified sections so I can eliminated the dual nature of classifieds here. But of course, there will likely be compromises that need to be made.

Right now an upgrade isn't advisable because my programmer tells me the developers are working on yet another change in the basic structure of vBulletin which would be best to wait for. Of course, being the first on the block with ANY major new software revision is not advisable either. If an upgrade were a simple matter, then it wouldn't be an issue, but with all the custom mods on this site, the conversion is going to be time consuming and costly for programmer time. Fortunately some mods have been incorporated in the newest upgrade version of the software, but there are still come pretty radical changes in the code here that will have to be completely rewritten for the upgrade. Heck, I've done a few minor changes myself, and don't know if I even remember what I did back then.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:06 PM   #26
Dennis Hultman
Something else about ads and doesn’t really go to the topic but it might be glitch that hasn’t been noticed.

If someone makes a post you can search their ads in the forums by clicking on “ads” in the bottom right corner of each persons post. It will show you all the ads posted in the forums.

But, if you click on someone’s profile and click “show all ads” it doesn’t show any of the forum-based ads at all. Someone that has many ads up in the forums will be shown to have zero ads. The "show all ads" link only shows ads in the photopost section.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:22 PM   #27
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary O
Rich, You know I always say what is on my mind.

Who would have thought I would have ever sent fauna money? But I told you in the past before you ever did it. Charging for the classifieds is a good thing and when I was ready to post ads I would pay to post them here.

I would like to go on record in saying that it was the best 25 bucks I have spent to place ads. I get a TON of people saying they seen my ads HERE! That makes me feel like I spent a good 25 bucks. and to tell you the truth I am and will renew if you keep charging. I like to think I offer high quality animals. And I have thought about it but every time I do I wonder why send KS money when Fauna and my sites do me just fine.

I get buyers from here bro. I really do. I think on KS i would be emailing people back pics just becuase they want pics. Not becuase they are interested in the animal.

I know we have butted heads many many times. I did not agree with charging for the BOI. But I do agree with charging for the ads. It is only fair IMO that I give you something for helping me sell.

If you do not charge I will continue to place ads here. I probably will still send you that 25 bucks. Only fair like I said. I see one thing though. the people that will place ad after ad after ad to fill the page will now have others to compete with lol.

But from a person selling here. I get a lot of people saying they seen me here. So it is getting the traffic. Just the fluff is gone. But like everyone says cut away the fat and give me the meat lmao.
Thanks, Gary....

But how does one know what is fluff and what is meat? By what yardstick would most people measure the health of a website like this? Fluff or not, I believe that nearly all measurement criteria concerning a publicly accessible website would have to include raw traffic. To advertisers, people coming to this site for answers to their questions, or someone just looking for a place where everyone else goes to, the amount of traffic (IE, how many other people are visiting the site) is going to be an important criteria to note for them to determine if this is a place THEY want to come to as well.

If I were a new member coming to this site, I would look at the stats and see that there are presently 43,329 registered members here. WOW! Pretty impressive, I would think. But when I look at how many registered members are HERE right now, I only see 73. Where are the other 43,256 members? Thinking maybe it's just a slow time of day, I then check number of members who have visited in the last 24 hours..... Hmmm... only 872.....

If I knew enough to check, I might then go to FaunaTopSites and look at the stats there for this site. I scroll down to the bottom and see this...

This clearly shows a steady decline in traffic from January, 2007 to present.

No, the stats aren't lying if you take the time to read them.

So the question is, WHAT is the problem and is it fixable? Or is there even a solution at all? My original incentive to post this thread was initiated by an email I got from someone concerning the paid requirement for posting classifieds. Is THIS being the boat anchor? Or perhaps one of several?

Looking at this from a different angle, is this all just indicative of a slowdown in this business itself? I just looked at the stats on FaunaTopSites of some other sites, and in many instances I am seeing the same thing: A general slowdown in traffic to many of those sites as well since January.

Which, obviously, is nothing I can fix from this site, I guess. If the number of buyers and sellers are declining, or people in general maintaining a DAILY interest in this topic matter just falling off, then all I am seeing is a graph of the industry in general. Which, if this is the case, leads to the question of whether there is anything that could be done HERE to help turn things around. I would rather think I am contributing to the health of this industry rather than inhibiting it and therefore being even partially the cause of spiralling down into stagnation.

Just more food for thought, I guess.

Thanks for the input on this....

Old 10-30-2007, 01:58 PM   #28
99Vengeur
If the decline in traffic is being observed on other sites, it may be the current swing of the pendulum for the industry. With all business, there is going to be fluctuation. There is no possible way to sustain an exponential growth of any business.

With this said, could it be that the current slow decline is due to various legislative decisions that are being made across the country?? Just a thought that crossed my mind as I was replying to this thread.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:55 PM   #29
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Vengeur
No, if you really look at the graphs, they are very much seasonal. This probably coincides with the breeding seasons, and when hatchlings become available for sale.

Just my own imput on this that i agree with you , i have noticed activity level on the site is different during certain times of the year too. never really thought much of it, just sort of... thats how it is.

Old 10-30-2007, 03:54 PM   #30
deborahbroadus
But Rich said a "decline" and a "steady" one at that...so this doesn't indicate the highs and lows of seasons or breeding periods but people leaving and not coming back...ummmm

Could be when the BP craze was hottest and people were buying them in droves...then IBD hit a few and other people were losing their snakes, or they were dying from incorrect keeping habits....so lost of interest could account for some of the decline.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!