Can't seem to reply in my own threads... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:43 AM   #1
ted1025
Can't seem to reply in my own threads...

I can't reply in my own created threads, any help is appreciated...thanks!

Old 10-26-2010, 08:43 AM   #2
ted1025
Forgot to say this was in the ball python classified section, is there a new rule over there because i can reply to this thread....

Old 10-26-2010, 09:22 AM   #3
Clay Davenport
Here's the announcement posted in the classifieds.

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...php?f=498&a=65

Old 10-26-2010, 11:29 PM   #4
Adam Kirk
Can paid member "bump" there ad with no consequence?

Old 10-27-2010, 12:26 AM   #5
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Kirk View Post
It doesn't look like that was said:

Abusive use of ad bumping in the classifieds...
We've all been hearing complaints about the rampant use of ad bumping in the classifieds sections, even to the extent where some members will bump all of their ads one or more times per day in order to keep them on the front page. Obviously this pisses off everyone else who gets pushed off that front page, and I've been tasked with trying to come up with a reasonable solution.

Of course, there are multiple concerns that need to be addressed here. I have run this by my programmer to see if he can come up with a solution that doesn't kill the utility of the Classifieds Control Panel that paid members can use to bump ads, as it certainly would not be in this site's best interests to lose paying members. But honestly, since so many non-paying members are bumping their ads manually anyway, I'm afraid that just ignoring this problem is going to wind up becoming a big mistake in real short order.

So as a temporary measure until my programmer can get back to me with hopefully an elegant solution, I am making a rather inelegant bandaid fix to this problem until something better can be implemented.

Effective immediately, non paying members can no long respond to their own ads that they start in the classifieds section. Unfortunately this cannot be limited only to blatant bumping, as the program has no way of having that sort of intelligence to determine the context of the reply in order to determine if it is a legitimate follow up reply, or simply a bump of the thread to the top of the forum. But in any event, I felt that SOMETHING needed to be done, even if it is by no stretch of the imagination even close to being a PERFECT solution to the problem.

Yes, other members can certainly bump someone else's thread, but to circumvent that problem, blatant ad bumping will be come an infraction for whoever does that sort of thing.

The whole idea of this is to try to keep as many members as possible able to keep their ads in prime real estate as long as possible without being bumped to the back pages by some people being overzealous about their bumping efforts for their own ads.

Please bear with this while we are working on a more rational method to deal with this problem. I certainly wish we didn't have to address something like this, but with it being evident that some people are simply abusing this bumping capability, there really isn't any choice in the matter of doing at least SOMETHING to address the problem rather than nothing at all and allowing it to become worse over time, and therefore frustrate at least the paying members who have to watch the non paying members circumvent the perk they have for being a paid member when others simply manually bump their ads for free.

Hopefully this is temporary, and I do apologize for any inconvenience this causes anyone.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:40 AM   #6
Adam Kirk
Bumping

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAND View Post
It doesn't look like that was said:

Abusive use of ad bumping in the classifieds...
Yes, other members can certainly bump someone else's thread, but to circumvent that problem, blatant ad bumping will be come an infraction for whoever does that sort of thing.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:52 AM   #7
Adam Kirk
Fauna has been good to me and I have no problem purchasing a membership if I can bump my ads with no infraction by doing so.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:53 AM   #8
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Kirk View Post
Yes. As long as they utilize the Classifieds Control Panel to do so.

Unrestricted bumping of ads has gotten to the point where it has become rampant and a problem that needs to be dealt with. Some people are just abusing the hell out of that tactic to keep their ads on the front page within the classified forum, and getting people pissed off enough to complain to me about it.

In the past, I just shrugged it off, as traffic wasn't really all that great there anyway, so I just wasn't going to worry about it. However, NOW, things have picked up substantially on this site, and that particular practice needs to be HALTED in its' tracks.

My programmer is working on a solution to make this a bit more user friendly, but until he is done with the mod he is working on, I just put the brakes on HARD in the classifieds, the best way I could.

Paid members can still reply to their ads unrestricted, but obviously if they choose to not be limited by the restrictions in place via the Classifieds Control Panel, they too can simply bump their ads manually. At least for now, but that too will be coming to an end shortly.

When my programmer is done with the code modification, I will fill everyone in (well at least everyone who pays attention to the announcements and/or checks into this Feedback Forum... ) about the changes.

Oh, and yes, there are still ways to circumvent what I am trying to do for the good of all here, but that will necessarily be treated as an infraction to try to curtail that sort of tactic.

Sorry about this, but I think most people can see that it was just getting way out of hand, and a few people left me no choice but to take steps to limit that abuse of the classifieds.

BTW, if anyone wants to check on that original thread I wrote up concerning the Classifieds Control Panel, you can do so here -> http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=86491

Old 10-27-2010, 01:05 AM   #9
Adam Kirk
Control Panel

__________________[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Yes. As long as they utilize the Classifieds Control Panel to do so.
The classified control panel? Does that refer to the post reply or quick reply button?

Old 10-27-2010, 01:07 AM   #10
Adam Kirk
Oops sorry, I just found the thread about the classifieds control panel.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!