Vote***financing Fauna***vote - Page 8 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

View Poll Results: ***Funding Poll** What do YOU think is appropriate? (More than 1 OK)
A general use fee of $35/year, membership would be required to access site 18 8.33%
A membership fee of $10-25/yr. to access the BOI 32 14.81%
$35/yr. general membership fee but BOI/classified free 24 11.11%
Increased advertising fees and fees for all advertising 81 37.50%
I don't care 7 3.24%
If there were a membership fee, I would not visit Fauna 75 34.72%
I have no concept of economics, I did not realize it costs money to run a website like this 4 1.85%
After seeing how hard Webslave works to maintain this site, I want to help 38 17.59%
Increase fines 47 21.76%
I have other ideas for funding which I have listed below in my post. 26 12.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 02:50 PM   #71
Bill_Leverton
Ok Seamus I sorta see your point but the way I look at is That $$ is buying my piece of mind...People will do what feels right to them and wont be forced to do anything that goes against their grain ......The bottom line is "The Site Is Here" and as long as its free it works for everyone....But put a price tag on it and "oh no" it wont work no more? I was directed to this site back in 2003 and if it would of cost me that 35$ I would of gladly sent the money "just because of the rep of this site" This place busts the scum and makes our hobby/business/pet ownership a better thing in life but you know what? what ever the future of this site may turn out to be I'll still be first in line to up my membership....and IMHO if there is a charge to be part of this site and people dont want pay then so be it they can get their knowledge else where and take their chances

Old 01-29-2005, 03:53 PM   #72
DejaGirl
You either attract hobbyists or you'll attract businesses.

Put them both on a scale and see which one will weigh more than the other, IMHO you'll want hobbyists to join the forum and learn more about herps rather than businesses and people who CAN afford to be "members."

Old 01-29-2005, 04:07 PM   #73
DaveyFig
Stephanie, that was the shortest, sweetest, most perfect way for that to be said. WELL DONE!

Old 01-29-2005, 04:18 PM   #74
Bill_Leverton
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaGirl
You either attract hobbyists or you'll attract businesses.

Put them both on a scale and see which one will weigh more than the other, IMHO you'll want hobbyists to join the forum and learn more about herps rather than businesses and people who CAN afford to be "members."
I'm Not Reptile Business Yet but I agree that some people see it that way I see it as here you get updated knowledge as opposed to a an outdated book and you find out who to buy from or who to stay away from
And its 35$ if that.... people waste at least that on useless stuff jmo

Old 01-29-2005, 04:20 PM   #75
DaveyFig
Could we not, as a community, without being required to submit anything, set up a Fauna Fund table at a major show? A group of individuals near one of the big shows could take in donations of animals and dry goods, and together the members of fauna could pitch in and purchase a booth, or several booths, whatever it would take to get everything on the table. It could be done bake sale style, and there could even be games, and raffles at the booth. Whatever the items are sold for would be profit, as they would be donations.

Old 01-29-2005, 04:33 PM   #76
The BoidSmith
Option

A programmer’s time costs money and it’s reasonable that Rich doesn’t want to put more money into it. One idea would be a $10 credit given to any new member to be used in Fauna. Each post (BOI, classifieds, forums, etc.) is charged 5 cents and deducted from the initial credit. The person can thus make 200 posts for free the first time. By that time he more than likely will know if he is getting his money’s worth out of the site. With the current system in place it’s easy to verify when a poster has reached the maximum and notify him/her that renewal of the membership is due. In the renewal he/she will have to start paying, $10 again and 5 cents per post will be deducted. This would be a way to “tax” users that post more in Fauna and still allow those that use it sporadically to access all its features. Will it take some work? Of course, but you can always “pay” some members to verify the accounts. Payment could be just free access to all services.

Regards

Old 01-29-2005, 09:03 PM   #77
Melle
Well, since I've read this thread and the other one, I decided to help out and give a little to the forum. Granted I dont sell anything, nor do i post a whole lot, but i definately dont want the site to go away! its a great place for info and i wanna help to keep it here.

Old 01-29-2005, 09:36 PM   #78
Lucille
Thank you Melissa. It is the individual decision, like you have made, that is important. I very much appreciate what you did.

Old 01-29-2005, 11:58 PM   #79
BallPyFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamdreams
Now, for my bright idea...
Rich, the list of things you've done so far to help raise monies was impressive, and covered all of the bases...except one...merchandise sales.
T-shirts, mousepads, etc. I bet you there's a user/member here that owns/operates a screen printing shop OR knows someone that does.
I myself would be MORE THAN WILLING to get both done for you at exceptional prices, but of course there is some out of pocket monies, which is what you really wanted to stay away from, so...how about taking pre-orders?? After coming up with the design(s) you could put 'em right there on the main page, BIG, BOLD, even Tantilizing I'd love to work with you on that, we could get a couple designs together - my treat, get some pricing on quanity, then see what happens. I dunno...but if you wanna give it a spin, call me sometime.
How many members are signed up here at Fauna??
Cafe-press anyone? I would volunteer/donate some graphics work for some of the merchandise Y'all BP fans would be wearing Peachy's pretty scales!

Old 01-30-2005, 10:35 AM   #80
nicolai
this is my idea i posted in the other thread....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolai
Level 1) Free - status = "participant"
a) access to BOI to search and view - no posting
b) access to all participate in reptile and animal talk forums
c) access to view classified

Level 2)10.00yr - status = "Member"
a) everything included in level 1
b) Ability to post on the BOI
c) access to user "CP" (avatar and profile included)
d) Private messaging enabled
e) ability to participate in auctions
f) Able to use the "Live Chat" room

Level 3)25.00yr - status = "Contributing Member"
a) Everything included in levels 1 and 2
b) Access to "hell"
c) Ability to give and recieve "reputation points"
d) Free link to personal Web page under Avatar
e) access to post in higher forums ( feedback forum,legal forum, etc..all forums)
f) ability to contact "moderators/Rich" meaning reporting bad posts,problems. and other issues...this would keep the complaints dowwn to a minimum and less whining to listen to.

Level 4)35.00yr - "Full Member"
a) everything included in levels 1 through 3
b) Ability to post classified Ads
c) Ability to post thier banner on every classified ad they post.
d) Ability to link thier ads to thier BOI Reputation "if they want"
e) free picture hosting for thier ads

If you dont agree just say so, please dont slam my rep points.

"Copied from other thread"

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread