Tentative list of membership options. - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 02-10-2005, 01:39 PM   #41
WebSlave
As for the spell check option, heck, I'm not sure that would work. Anyone who isn't going to bother to use correct spelling and punctuation, and posts habitually in ways nearly impossible to decipher, is certainly not going to bother with a spell checker nagging them about those discrepancies.

Yeah, I do them too here and there, but honestly the best course to take is to take the time to proofread your post BEFORE you hit that "submit reply" button.

I am just leery of something like this that could put even more loading on the server for every post made here. Spell checkers can be VERY resource intensive programs.

Old 02-10-2005, 04:24 PM   #42
JJFOUTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave
I am just leery of something like this that could put even more loading on the server for every post made here. Spell checkers can be VERY resource intensive programs.
If someone was that worried about thier spelling, they could copy and paste thier post into word or some other program and then spell check it. If there were corrections to be made to thier post they could always copy the corrected post out of word and back to the post box.

Old 02-10-2005, 04:43 PM   #43
Bill_Leverton
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFOUTZ
If someone was that worried about thier spelling, they could copy and paste thier post into word or some other program and then spell check it. If there were corrections to be made to thier post they could always copy the corrected post out of word and back to the post box.
Thats a great idea wish I would of thought about that Thanks Jeff

Old 02-10-2005, 05:18 PM   #44
ravensgait
It's not that they worry about their spelling

that is the problem some write post that are hard to get through because of the poor spelling etc... The idea would be to give them an easy way to spell check. Maybe if they set it up so that you had to preview your post before posting it some would see just how poorly they have done. then again it probably looks fine to them

Don't get me wrong I couldn't win any spelling bees but some here are terrible !!

Randy

Old 02-10-2005, 05:24 PM   #45
progeckos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFOUTZ
... they could copy and paste thier post into word or some other program and then spell check it.
That’s exactly what I do and it works great.

Old 02-10-2005, 05:45 PM   #46
Bill_Leverton
Or another option is install a speak and text then it it will put your words into text spelled correctly

Old 02-11-2005, 01:50 AM   #47
KathyLove
A couple of questions came to mind...

They probably aren't important concerns, but thought I would toss them out for discussion.

1. Do you think a "free basic ($10) membership" to those who post at least 500 times would be enough incentive for some trolls to go crazy with silly posts just to make the 500 mark for a freebie?

2. One of the more expensive catagories had a provision to edit your own posts. Do you think any disruptive types would pay the extra money just to change, muddy, or generally "stir the pot" with that ability?

Maybe I am thinking too much about it, but if there are people with too much time on their hands, you never know.

Also, what about the possibility of tying one of the more expensive memberships with banner advertising, similar to how the cheaper ones can offer classifieds? You might tempt more people to help out if they feel the banner ads are not quite paying for themselves, but they get both banners AND a higher membership level with one payment. Or maybe some other variation of that theme.

Just a few stray thoughts.

Old 02-11-2005, 02:57 AM   #48
Draconis
I don't post much unless I have something relevant to say, but I have followed this thread and have not heard mention of how you are going to pass this info on to the general memebership (ie- those who don't log on every day). There is already a thread that I look at to see what's going on. It's titled "Stay on top of what is going on on this site". I look at the date. If that hasn't changed I figure there is nothing new going on on this site.

If I hadn't seen your new "rant" column for "stuff that no one will read unless it is in the BOI" I would never have found this thread at all. Perhaps I am blind and it is posted somewhere, but if I am not macular degenerate in my old age I would indeed like to know how this info is going to be passed out. Mass e-mails or what?

Thanks for your patience, Rich. I am going to contribute just as soon as all the "bugs" are dead!

Old 02-11-2005, 03:21 AM   #49
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyLove
They probably aren't important concerns, but thought I would toss them out for discussion.

1. Do you think a "free basic ($10) membership" to those who post at least 500 times would be enough incentive for some trolls to go crazy with silly posts just to make the 500 mark for a freebie?
Possibly. I'm still mulling over this option. On one hand, it does bypass the "credibility check" that I want the minimum payment option to be. But on the other, 500 posts is a LOT for someone to do just on a whim to bypass that $10 fee. On the other other hand, having a steady income from a number of people paying that yearly $10 fee will help with a LOT of expenses throughout the year.

So yeah, I'm trying to look into the crystal ball to see which choice will be the best when I am looking back in hindsight at all of this.

Quote:
2. One of the more expensive catagories had a provision to edit your own posts. Do you think any disruptive types would pay the extra money just to change, muddy, or generally "stir the pot" with that ability?

Maybe I am thinking too much about it, but if there are people with too much time on their hands, you never know.
This will only allow members to be able to edit their own posts, and not within all forums. The BOI will NEVER be in that category where members can edit nor delete the posts made there. This generally only really applies to the general discussion forums. So no, I don't expect this will have any real negative effect.

Quote:
Also, what about the possibility of tying one of the more expensive memberships with banner advertising, similar to how the cheaper ones can offer classifieds? You might tempt more people to help out if they feel the banner ads are not quite paying for themselves, but they get both banners AND a higher membership level with one payment. Or maybe some other variation of that theme.

Well in some other thread in this discussion it was brought to my attention that some advertisers (and/or people NOT advertising here) would rather not have the appearance of supporting this site, but instead just have it a black and white advertising relationship. So I decided to disassociate the banner ads with any reference of "support".

Old 02-11-2005, 03:25 AM   #50
reptilebreeder
Hi Kathy,
Not to speak for Rich, but I know he's really busy, and I might be able to answer some of these, if not I'm sure Rich will correct the info.

Quote:

1. Do you think a "free basic ($10) membership" to those who post at least 500 times would be enough incentive for some trolls to go crazy with silly posts just to make the 500 mark for a freebie?.
I believe this is a one time thing, to take place during the initial changeover. Those of us who are already contributers, will still be contributers. Those who are not contributers, but have shown to be participating for some time ie. 500 posts, will get a first tier membership. Anotherwords, I suppose someone could join and go troll crazy posting, to hit that 500 mark in the short time till implementation of membership fees, but probably not a real concern.

Quote:
2. One of the more expensive catagories had a provision to edit your own posts. Do you think any disruptive types would pay the extra money just to change, muddy, or generally "stir the pot" with that ability?.
You can already edit many of the forums, as well as ads, I believe. You cannot edit the BOI. So the only real change, unless I'm mistaken is that the ability would actually be taken away, unless you are one of the higher tier members (not sure which tier that kicks in). There would be no ability to edit BOI post either now or after.

Quote:

Can't answer that one, because I don't believe it's been actually addressed in any of the many threads. I think that sounds like a good idea. Hope we're not adding to the confusion.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!